What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Step by step bubble cloner set up (good for newb cloners)

G

gdawg

yo i made like 3 bubble cloners for under 50 bucks from walmart a few months back and its been the best method of cloning i've seen yet. my clones root in 6 to ten days then its off to the coco. i use hygrozyme in me ro water and it seemed to knock a couple of days of my root time and it keeps the slime down too. definetly go with the heater i use a grow pad from the hydro store. peace :joint:

cortez

hey everyone! ive been away from my comp for a while.This thread it seems has plugged along for a while now.I see a lot of good inovations to fit individual growing styles...outstanding!!Keep em coming.i've found another hidden wal-mart gem in the aquarium isle.(i do a lot of my grow shopping in the aquarium section)...This stuff is the shit for ph buffering and most importantly "algae control".I premix 15L of tap water(7.8 ph is a plant sizzler on it's own)with 7ml of easybalance.The water stays crystal clear and fresh for a long time.Oh and the p.h is a perfect 7.0.The trace elements and vitamins can't hurt either.A little goes a long way.I only use this water in my cloner....

Last edited:

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
This stuff is the shit for ph buffering and most importantly "algae control".

I've been following this thread and reading the old OG faq and made my own box new years day and have been happily bubbling along. Saturday I decided to open it up and see if I had any progress and found a clear slimy algae coating everything. I had another shoebox so I prepped it pretty quick and exchanged it figuring to do the same in about 3-4 days. Next time I'm at wallys I'll look for Easybalance.

cortez

SomeGuy: nice avatar by the way!!Change that water.clean everything with water and a hint of bleach. rinse very well and wipe clean.refill with tap water and use easybalance as directed.your algae and ph problems will be solved.Algae,if left to flourish, will severly choke off oxygen uptake and will hasten stem rot.you will get roots but very slowly and ill looking from the get go.Algae is a nuissance!!!

Last edited:

cortez

I've painted my tub black with spray paint for plastics and have added a 5/16 grommet for the air tube.The black paint is one more defence against algae.

I also converted the top of the tub to accept 1 1/2" r-wool cubes.

When they get nice long roots going.They go straight into my grow bottles.

i haven't changed mine in 2 weeks and the roots appear to be doing well (15/15 rooted). I only add water as needed until they are transplanted to soil. My problem is they wilt after I put them in soil. Does anyone else have this problem and could suggest some advice (I thought of using a dome). The other "problem" is the cloner worked a little TO WELL and now i have 15 rooted BigBud clones to deal with and not enough space. Sucks to be me huh?? LOL-LOL

CaptJamesTKirk

I'm having troble getting roots and part of the recovery was to scrub everything with hot soapy water and sterilize with 1 cap full of clorox in 2-1/2 gallons of water - soak everything in that - replaced bubble wands with new and started over - it works!!!

seems to work better if I change the water more frequently.

cleanlyness is important - as is having healthy mothers

OGPurp

OK, it's day 9 after I put my babies in the cloner and the first roots are coming out. The 2 biggest roots are from the same strain, and the mother was reverting from a flowering to veg cycle when the clones were taken.

I never used a humidity dome, and the ambient air temperatures would have been a chilly mid-50s sometimes. But the res was always 82F, thanks to the aquarium pump. Also, the clones seemed healthier than my previous rockwool and spray bottle method. So far, so good for the first time :woohoo:

Next time I might keep the shop light further away, as I've learned they need to concentrate on growing roots. And I might also apply some rooting hormone to the stem in the rockwool to give them a little help

When they're all sprouting roots, I'm going to remove the aquarium heater and add a dilute nute mixture to get them going. Hoping to transplant them into my main room in ~ 8 days.

70s_PotHead

Any thoughts on lighting when using bubble cloners, 24/0 verse 18/6?

70s :joint:

CaptJamesTKirk

sam6655321 said:
CaptJamesTKirk I'll try changing the water every 2 days on my next run and see if it works any faster.

It seems to be helping mine at the moment - I haven't had to change the water this offten, before, but it that's what they want, I can do it. Hope it helps you too.

70s_PotHead said:
Any thoughts on lighting when using bubble cloners,

yes, definatly

70s_PotHead said:
24/0 verse 18/6?

70s :joint:

both work, 24 on, is better for re-veg projects. 18 on saves a lil money on elect.

Last edited:

OGPurp

How long should I wait for roots before giving up? It's day 13, and I've got 6 going right now (two each of Mango, some unknown Indica and Sensi Star). My Indicas is busting out with roots, but the other 2 have nothing (though from the leaves and the general appearance of the clones, they appear to be doing OK).

As a precaution, I started 6 more tonight (3 Mango, 3 Sensi Star) to ensure I have enough when I start my next crop, and I used a little Clonex for encouragement.

G

Just checked this thread for the hell of it...

OGPurp How long should I wait for roots before giving up? It's day 13, and I've got 6 going right now (two each of Mango, some unknown Indica and Sensi Star). My Indicas is busting out with roots, but the other 2 have nothing (though from the leaves and the general appearance of the clones, they appear to be doing OK).

Before you put your cut into the bubbler, split the very end that goes into the water about 3/8" or so upwards from the bottom...This will expose more of the inner part of the shoot (dont ask cuz I dont know what its called) and will promote more roots to emerge from this split

I do this on every one and it seems to help

Grow safe

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Im running a cheapier DIY bubble cloner and have put about 25 clones in it. For experimentation purposes I put them in 3 different ways. One group is just the stem without nodes underwater, one is split stems, and the last is the stem is cut with a node underwater near the cut (not split).
So far, they have rooted in this order: Nodes underwater, split stems, then stems only.
All three have rooted however so I doubt it really matters how you do it but the nodes near the cut have rooted the fastest. And before anyone asks they are three different strains and the results are based on all the strains so they are not strain dependant.

OGPurp

It's day 19 and I moved the 2 that are doing well into my ebb and flow table. None of the other 4 clones started at the same time are showing roots, but they generally still look OK, though their leaves are become paler. Are Mango or Sensi Star known to be slow cloners?

Latest posts

Latest posts