What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"States of Highness" Definitions

Ulysses

In an effort to improve future smoke reports and the all important strain selection process, I'd like to put forth this list of definitions as an aid. I believe categorizing the "States of Highness" was put forth by Ed Rosenthal, I've taken his lead and ran with the ball...

Most of us agree that different strains have different effects. For example, Silver Haze will give you a different buzz or 'experience' than say White Widow. Some smokers cannot discern any appreciable difference between strains! "Dude, that shite got me baked!" or "Yeah man, I'm sooo stoned" is not a very helpful description of how you are experiencing the effects of the meds...

Someday, we'll have a superior reference tool where we enter the desired medicinal effect and numerous strains, complete with flowering times, pheno selection, grow tips, etc... Some type of matrix perhaps? In the mean time, I hope this helps those seeking the words to describe how they feel when they report the experiences of various strains...

Effect or Experience:

Alert- Mentally responsive and perceptive; quick. Brisk or lively in action.

Active- Being in physical motion. Functioning or capable of functioning.

After Effect- is a left over feeling when the ‘high’ has worn off. Usually negative or unpleasant. Headache, tension, lasting lethargy and stupefaction are common after effects. Sometimes erroneously referred to as a hangover.

Analgesic- reduces pain without resulting in loss of consciousness.

Blissful- completely happy and contented.

Body relax- freed from tension, being at ease, as applied to muscles.

Calm- Not excited or agitated; composed.

Ceiling- the upper limit on how ‘high’ a strain will get you before plateau. A strain with ‘no ceiling’ will continue to increase effects with continued smoking- usually found in better sativas. A ‘low ceiling’ stain will not have increasing effects, but this may not be bad- as in ‘one hit, quit’. A ceilingless strain would be very desirable...

Cheerful- Being in good spirits; merry. Having a happy disposition.

Clear- Discerning or perceiving easily; keen. To be free from confusion, doubt, or ambiguity. May also refer to lack of visual distortion or hallucinogenic effect.

Couch- As in ‘Couch Lock’- an immediate need to lie down on a large comfortable couch and remain there motionless. Mental activity may continue but physical functions are limited to the TV remote at best…

Creeper- A noticeable delay in the onset of the effects.

Discomfort- Producing a sense of mental ill ease, or actual physical unpleasantness. Some poorly bred strains may attenuate pain or stress. A negative effect. "Un-Kind" anyone?

Dreamy- Having a ‘daydream’ like effect, preoccupied, relaxed and gentle.

Drying- causing a noticeable dryness to sinuses, mouth, and eyes.

Electric- Emotionally exciting; thrilling and/or a tingling sensation throughout the body- often up and down the spine or felt in the extremities. Not always pleasant.

Energetic - having or showing energy and enthusiasm. Capable of a lot of movement and physical effort.

Euphoria- is medically recognized as an emotional and mental state defined as a sense of great elation and well-being. Euphoria is generally considered to be an exaggerated state, resulting from psychological or pharmacological stressors and not typically achieved during the normal course of human experience, although some natural behaviors, such as activities resulting in orgasm or the triumph of an athlete, can induce brief states of euphoria.

Even body head- effects encompass both muscles and mind at the same rate. May be in a positive way or given to describe negative effects as well.

Eye droop- physical inability to keep eye lids wide open usually due to muscle relaxation, sensitivity to light, or smoke irritation.

Functional- capable of performing routine tasks without undue strain or mental duress. Getting dressed, showered, shaved, fed, all the while being able to operate the bong without fire hazard or spillage…

Giddy- Frivolous and lighthearted; flighty. Possibly having a reeling, lightheaded sensation; dizzy.

Giggly- Short outbursts of spasmodic laugher. Not as harmless as it sounds, as longer outbursts can lead to loss of breath and peeing yourself…

Happy- Enjoying, showing, or marked by pleasure, satisfaction, or joy.

Hazy- Unclear, confused, or uncertain. Not to be confused with the strain.

Heady- Intoxicating. An adjective describing a trait of certain strains of cannabis that causes their user to experience or perceive increased or enhanced cognitive activity or ability. “All in the head” is often used and perhaps cerebral as well.

Intense- Extreme in degree, strength. Deeply felt; profound, extraordinary effect.

Lethargic- deficient in alertness or activity. Opposite of Energetic.

Load- Also Body Load, the effect of feeling weighted down in the body and extremities- heaviness in the limbs, possibly in the head/neck area reported as well.

Long-lasting- effects continue beyond the usual 2 to 4 hours.

Lucid- clear, rational, and able to be understood. To feel as thought you can express yourself with 100% clarity.

Mellow- Relaxed and unhurried; easygoing. Slightly and pleasantly intoxicated. Also-having developed a full, smooth flavor as a result of a good proper cure.

Mind numbing- Stupefying, lack of thought. Test pattern on the ol’ mental TV…

Motivating- Lending the desire to do something, while maintaining the ability to do it.

Munchies- an uncontrollable desire to eat. Usually not associated with hunger.

Narcotic- effects strongly resemble drugs that alter perception of pain; induce euphoria, mood changes, mental clouding, and deep sleep; depress respiration and the cough reflex; constrict the pupils and cause smooth muscle spasm, decreased peristalsis, emesis, and nausea.

Paranoia- intense fear or suspicion, usually unfounded.

Physical- relating to the body, as distinguished from the mind.

Playful- Full of fun and high spirits; frolicsome or sportive: Humorous; jesting:

Positive- tending to emphasize what is good; constructive: tending towards progress or improvement.

Potent- chemically or medicinally effective; rich in a characteristic constituent.

Psychedelic- Of, characterized by, or generating hallucinations, distortions of perception, altered states of awareness, and occasionally states resembling psychosis.

Racy- Having a stimulative effect similar to caffeine, amphetamines. Effect may apply to both mind and/or body.

Sedative- Having a soothing, calming, or tranquilizing effect; reducing or relieving anxiety, stress, irritability, or excitement.

Sensual- giving pleasure to the body and senses rather than the mind; marked by the appetites and passions of the body.

Sexual- feeling the desire and having the capability to perform the sex act. AKA Sexy.

Soaring- having effects similar to the experience of physically flying or gliding.

Social- Inclined to seek out or enjoy the company of others without undue discomfort.

Stoney- unmotivated to even move- and every muscle in your body feels like it's being weighed down by a huge weight like a stone (hence the word STONED) you feel really heavy and have intense, very enjoyable tactile hallucinations and usually feel complete euphoria so you just stare off blankly and enjoy it.

Strong- not mild or weak. Extreme, intense- rich in some active agents.

Tachycardia- Causing rapid heartbeat.

Talkative- a marked disposition to talk more so than usual.

Thoughtful- Engrossed in thought; contemplative.

Tolerance- a build up in resistance to the effects of a particular strain or strains. A strain with little or no tolerance build will have the same effect on you month after month. A strain with a rapid tolerance build will have a much lesser effect each time you smoke it.

Trippy- Reminiscent of something one would experience during a trip on a psychedelic substance like LSD or Psilocybin Mushrooms- usually milder.

Uplifting- To raise to spiritual or emotional heights.

Wandering mind- inability to focus on a thought or task for a given length of time. Often experienced by walking into a room and forgetting why...

It's usually a measurement of stress or of lifestyle pleasures, fried or other lingo is just like an excuse to muh! It's like therapy, cannabis with a dedicated lifestyle can have profound shadow work revelations.

It's war, to save environment and culture that is obviously a blessing! ICmag is a good start to writing out a more educated approach, people are militant yet deny their intellect true power.

There are grades of cannabis, I'd hate to be forced 'medical' aka weaponized grade. There are far to many, diagnosis of what makes simply more inhibition!

de145

Nice list!

I really wonder if what we experience isn't more a combination of our mood going in and our expectations based on what others have said about a strain.

It's super subjective doing a smoke report and nearly everyone that does one has some preconceived notion of what a strain is going to do before they smoke it.

It might explain why a strain like Strawberry Cough for example which is Sativa dominant is so widely claimed to be anti anxiety and calming when it really should have somewhat the opposite effect.

Also why it's so common to often see someone completely contradict what others are saying about a strains effects.

Perhaps they dont' have preconceived notions about it?

Also if I'm being entirely objective about it I can smoke the same strain and get pretty different results on different days.

The first guy to smoke it is in a good mood that day and particularly relaxed, he decides that's what it does, tells others and it's reputation is set.

It just seems like there are too many variables to all be explained by the weed itself. Maybe the list can be whittled down a little into less categories because some of those effects are sort of hand in hand with more powerful effects? Or maybe being too specific is a mistake as a lot of the more subtle effects (like horniness for example) are secondary to the main mood alteration (such as being more relaxed or more energetic).

Does any of that make sense?

ibjamming

Veteran
EVERY plant grown by seed is a unique individual...size, smell, taste...and high can be different from plant to plant within the same strain.

When you harvest (trichome color) is usually as/more important than the strain...in my opinion of course.

moho

Nice thread ts! Will try and use some of your definitions and see if it's easier making a report :)

Nice list!

I really wonder if what we experience isn't more a combination of our mood going in and our expectations based on what others have said about a strain.

It's super subjective doing a smoke report and nearly everyone that does one has some preconceived notion of what a strain is going to do before they smoke it.

It might explain why a strain like Strawberry Cough for example which is Sativa dominant is so widely claimed to be anti anxiety and calming when it really should have somewhat the opposite effect.

Also why it's so common to often see someone completely contradict what others are saying about a strains effects.

Perhaps they dont' have preconceived notions about it?

Also if I'm being entirely objective about it I can smoke the same strain and get pretty different results on different days.

The first guy to smoke it is in a good mood that day and particularly relaxed, he decides that's what it does, tells others and it's reputation is set.

It just seems like there are too many variables to all be explained by the weed itself. Maybe the list can be whittled down a little into less categories because some of those effects are sort of hand in hand with more powerful effects? Or maybe being too specific is a mistake as a lot of the more subtle effects (like horniness for example) are secondary to the main mood alteration (such as being more relaxed or more energetic).

Does any of that make sense?

I agree with what you're saying, I too feel that the same herb can be very different from day to day. And also that many people react differently to the same strains. Imo some people just seem to get more affected than others, often resulting in a much more "up" or "trippy" high.
I think you should have smoked a strain consequently for a week or two before you can really say what it's all about. When you have done the same things that you have done with other strains, several times. Then you can get a good picture what this particular herb is about :rasta:

CARE giver

Sour Bubble Connoisseur
Veteran
Great thread for these people who aren't very descriptive in their smoke reports.

Sticky this please.

DUGG

i think mindset and setting has alot to do with how you experiance a high or a stone ... seems to vary from person to person