What's new

Star Killer Pheno Hunt

hamstring

Veteran
Hello all
I am currently running a pheno hunt on 6 females of Star Killer by Rare Dankness.

They are in 3 gal smart pots with Purple Cow water only soil.
I topped once and took clones. This is one of, if not the easiest strains, I have had to clone. Most showed roots in rockwool with in 5-7 days.
They are under a 600watt HPS
Using Tap water thats been dechlorinated by letting it set for 48hrs. PH to 7-7.5
I use blumats to water but also hand water so all the soil stays moist.
Temps are in the 75 range with RH around 65%.

I reached out to Rare Dankness and asked what phenos to look for. They said they are two main phenos one green and one purple. The green one is more potent but they preferred the purple one.

This is a 70day/10 week strain and I am only on day 35 and am very impressed with the the size of these buds already. This is a beast of a plant. Not good with smells anymore but some lemon is starting to show. If this plant smokes as good as it looks it will be a keeper. One problem is my Rh is too high and having trouble driving it down. I will have to keep my eyes on this one because I think its going to be some big dense buds,
thumb_IMG_0999_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1001_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1002_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1004_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1006_1024.jpg

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
Thanks brother, I will let you know and keep the thread updated. As far as producing its looks like it will blow my GG4 out of the water in pure weight. ------- Just have to wait on the quality though.

Do you top yours and if so how many times? I have to grow LST because my flower room is small. A couple of the phenos had good side branching others were just a single main stem before I topped.

Last edited:

The Zientist

Veteran
Nice!

I'm sitting on a pack too, as well as a Runtz Ghost Train. Look forward to try those.

They are looking promising. Good luck. 🤞

hamstring

Veteran
Zientist
Thanks for dropping in . I have had these seeds for 1.5 years before I popped them. Grem rate was 100%.

They are really starting to smell now. Again my sense of smell is bad and all I get is lemons but I'm sure others could pick up other small nuances. They are thirsty thats for sure but thats what I like about the blumats, the plants get their own drink when ever they want.

They pheno characteristic that pops out the most to me are color of the leaves. I have some that are more lime green and others have much darker green leaves. Again, supposed to be two phenos one purple and one green. I am hoping I have both of those in these six plants.

Impossible to see the color difference in the pics because of the flash on the camera. I can't pull them out of the trellis for a pic with natural light and I dont want the yellow HID pics. I now have much more respect for some of the really nice bud shots people take .

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
When you start digging in to the strain lineage it gets a little confusing for me. Many of the sites like Leafy simply have it as a Mazar X Blueberry OG cross.

Rare dankness has it as Skywalker Og crossed with the RD#2 male. You research Skywalker OG and your find An Indica-dominant hybrid cross of Mazar, Blueberry, and OG Kush. The RD#2 male counter part is called out below

Rare Dankness bears the name of the Colorado seed bank it calls home.

RD Genetics founder Scott “Moonshine” Reach said the original Rare Dankness strain was a cross between a Ghost OG female and an inbred Chemdawg male from Colorado brothers Alex and Andrew at Reservoir Seeds.

The Rare Dankness #1 male -- arguably the most prolific iteration of the strain -- was the culmination of four generations of crosses. It began with a hybrid between the original Rare Dankness and a Ghost OG, which was then crossed with a Triangle Kush, then crossed once more with a Triangle Kush.
From there, Rare Dankness #2, another male, was created using a hybrid of Ghost OG and Rugburn OG.
Although these varieties were never available to the public, Rare Dankness #1 is a parent to several Rare Dankness hybrids, including Scott’s OG, Rare Darkness and 501st OG.
Reach said the Rare Dankness #1 male -- which is kept on-hand for current and future breeding -- delivers exceptional potency, enhanced structure and increased yields to strains with which it is hybridized.

hamstring

Veteran
Noticed a couple of different phenos . I have one lime green pheno in the rear center. Took a pic with lights on and one with flash and lights off.

thumb_IMG_1010_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1013_1024 2.jpg

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_1014_1024 2.jpg
    thumb_IMG_1014_1024 2.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 74
  • thumb_IMG_1013_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_1013_1024.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

The Zientist

Veteran
When you start digging in to the strain lineage it gets a little confusing for me. Many of the sites like Leafy simply have it as a Mazar X Blueberry OG cross.

Rare dankness has it as Skywalker Og crossed with the RD#2 male. You research Skywalker OG and your find An Indica-dominant hybrid cross of Mazar, Blueberry, and OG Kush. The RD#2 male counter part is called out below

Rare Dankness bears the name of the Colorado seed bank it calls home.

RD Genetics founder Scott “Moonshine” Reach said the original Rare Dankness strain was a cross between a Ghost OG female and an inbred Chemdawg male from Colorado brothers Alex and Andrew at Reservoir Seeds.

The Rare Dankness #1 male -- arguably the most prolific iteration of the strain -- was the culmination of four generations of crosses. It began with a hybrid between the original Rare Dankness and a Ghost OG, which was then crossed with a Triangle Kush, then crossed once more with a Triangle Kush.
From there, Rare Dankness #2, another male, was created using a hybrid of Ghost OG and Rugburn OG.
Although these varieties were never available to the public, Rare Dankness #1 is a parent to several Rare Dankness hybrids, including Scott’s OG, Rare Darkness and 501st OG.
Reach said the Rare Dankness #1 male -- which is kept on-hand for current and future breeding -- delivers exceptional potency, enhanced structure and increased yields to strains with which it is hybridized.
Nice insight mate, thanks!

I can add that the Mazar x Blueberry (Dutch Passion Skywalker) listing is incorrect. It's just an overlap between name usage that led to that confusing situation.

I spoke with Scott from RD during last Spannabis and he cleared that out for me, along with several other details, which I'll forward to you:
1. Skywalker is an old cut that circulated in the bay area. Scott and others suspect it's an OG x Bubba from the 90's, but no one knows for sure.
2. The lineage composition of RD#1 is Triangle Kush, Chem D from Rez and Ghost OG. As for the exact crosses involved, I'm afraid my notes might not be 100% accurate, but should be either TK x (Ghost OG x Chem D) x Ghost OG or Ghost OG x (TK x Chem D). RD#2 is backcrossed again to Ghost OG.
3. According to Scott, Ghost OG is very similar to SFV, but more gas and less lemon though quasi-same.

I can add that Scott is a very nice person and tolerated very well my several approaches with geek questions. :ROFLMAO:
It was a pleasure to speak with him.
I've ended up exchanging a few seeds with Scott and he kindly gifted me a voluptuous amount of his Rug Burn OG regulars for me to experiment with.

Was planning on bringing back the famed Ghost Train Haze #1, though I ended up bringing his latest Runtz Ghost Train. I've since regretted a bit as I really wanted to try out first his GTHz#1, I guess I'll have to fetch it sometime soon. We'll see if he goes to Spannabis next year.

Reactions: F@t

hamstring

Veteran
Zientist
Hey brother thanks for the education. I'm not new growing but all my time was spent in the bush. I have a lot to catch up on indoors with strain and their history.

I was looking and saw GTHz#1 also. I was thinking about picking up a pack of those. I have had a pack of KH5 from Ace in my freezer going on two years. I would love to grow those two side by side. Just don't have the room. My grow room is wayyyyy to small.

I work in sales and our manager is having us read this book, "The One Thing". Its an easy read and like many sale books it focuses on personal as well as business life. My wife and I agree our "One Thing" is to move some where with a little more outdoor space.

I live in the city in well over a hundred year old home with a postage stamp for a yard. Its fine, but the basement in these older homes doesn't afford much growing space. They all had dirt floors at one time and the concrete was poured later in its history. Doesn't leave much head space. Good thing I'm 5'9" or at least used to be. At 57 pretty sure I not even that tall any more. A 6' guy can not walk in our basement with out bending over.

I emailed them at Rare Dankness and they got back to me both times. If this strain is as advertised I will pick up a pack Scotts OG and GTHz#1 for future endeavors.

The Zientist

Veteran
Zientist
Hey brother thanks for the education. I'm not new growing but all my time was spent in the bush. I have a lot to catch up on indoors with strain and their history.

I was looking and saw GTHz#1 also. I was thinking about picking up a pack of those. I have had a pack of KH5 from Ace in my freezer going on two years. I would love to grow those two side by side. Just don't have the room. My grow room is wayyyyy to small.

I work in sales and our manager is having us read this book, "The One Thing". Its an easy read and like many sale books it focuses on personal as well as business life. My wife and I agree our "One Thing" is to move some where with a little more outdoor space.

I live in the city in well over a hundred year old home with a postage stamp for a yard. Its fine, but the basement in these older homes doesn't afford much growing space. They all had dirt floors at one time and the concrete was poured later in its history. Doesn't leave much head space. Good thing I'm 5'9" or at least used to be. At 57 pretty sure I not even that tall any more. A 6' guy can not walk in our basement with out bending over.

I emailed them at Rare Dankness and they got back to me both times. If this strain is as advertised I will pick up a pack Scotts OG and GTHz#1 for future endeavors.
It's my pleasure to share.

KA5H is more equatorial leaning (read wild upright growth and flowering time) than GTHz#1. I think the later might get a bit outgrown, but I can't be really sure as I haven't tried any of those myself.

I'm also pretty limited on the headspace I have (1.6m or 5.2 feet), but there are tricks and teks that one can recur to in order to correctly flower these tropical beauties. Not sure if you are aware, but it really makes a difference and enables us to still indulge in growing these varieties.
In order to keep them short and allow them to mature properly, sending straight to flowering small clones taken out of mature plants is a must, so is restricting container size (not more than 2L) for around the first 4 weeks of flowering or until the major portion of the stretch is over, then repotting to bigger container. Together this tames them a whole lot.
In addition to that, a lot of people use the 11/13 cycle from the start. I've used it as well successfully and I would also recommend this. All together, they can still yield quite well, with their longer flowering schedule and if proper conditions are met (light intensity is also quite important and starting with low nutrient input, specially early on and adjusting as you go).

Recently I had some trouble managing a Thai heirloom F1 cross (Thai Chi from ACE), although I flowered them short (no more than 5 days of veg, topped before flowering), I gave them 7L of soil and that made them stretch way more than I anticipated. I still shifted the schedule to 11/13 after the first month in order to try and contain the situation, they still turned out nice although it was a complete pain in the ass to manage. If I had followed these guidelines, I wouldn't had such a jungly mess, though I was caught off guard.

So keep this in mind and don't let your height limit too much what you can grow. :giggle:

I've also talked with Scott about the parental lines of GTHz#1. The Nevil's Wreck is a cross of Neville's Haze (sourced out of '97 Shanti stock) with Arcata Trainwreck.

I'm curious to see how your Star Killer turns out!

hamstring

Veteran
Hey brother, thanks thats some real info. I will remember that. Really the only thing I was aware of was the 11/13 schedule.

Flowering in the 2 liter for 4 weeks, I'm sure this info is out there for the finding, shame on me, but really appreciate you taking the time to throw some knowledge my way. I will put it to good use.

I have a pretty high tolerance so I will let you know about the Star Killer. I am a potency first guy thats why GTHz#1 peaked my interest. I normally lean towards the couch lock but have wanted to try a real good haze for a while.

The Star Killer smoke reports I have read say you get a bit of a sativa kick with it even at a 70/30 ratio. Thats what interested me about it

Everythings going well, starting to see some pistils changing colors on one of the other plants. I will make sure to update as they progress. Again thanks for stoping by and helping out with the grow. Sounds like you are from the other side of the pond so appreciate the long drive to get my crib ;).

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
I love my USB microscope but it sucks trying to look at trichomes. It's to damn hard to hold with your hand. You can never get a clear shot unless its on its stand.

I was a little to excited and harvested part of the top two buds on the one plant that from the naked eye looked done. I think you can see I should have been more patient. This is just the top half but you can get an idea of cola size. They are in thier 7th week and this one was earlier than the rest but still needed another 7-10 days.

thumb_IMG_1062_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1063_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1064_1024.jpg

I like to see at least 20% amber but I'm sure they will give me an idea of smoke quality.

thumb_S20220728_001_1024.jpg
thumb_S20220728_004_1024.jpg
thumb_S20220728_008_1024.jpg
thumb_S20220728_010_1024 2.jpg

Attachments

• thumb_S20220728_010_1024.jpg
    thumb_S20220728_010_1024.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Emeraldjack713

Nice insight mate, thanks!

I can add that the Mazar x Blueberry (Dutch Passion Skywalker) listing is incorrect. It's just an overlap between name usage that led to that confusing situation.

I spoke with Scott from RD during last Spannabis and he cleared that out for me, along with several other details, which I'll forward to you:
1. Skywalker is an old cut that circulated in the bay area. Scott and others suspect it's an OG x Bubba from the 90's, but no one knows for sure.
2. The lineage composition of RD#1 is Triangle Kush, Chem D from Rez and Ghost OG. As for the exact crosses involved, I'm afraid my notes might not be 100% accurate, but should be either TK x (Ghost OG x Chem D) x Ghost OG or Ghost OG x (TK x Chem D). RD#2 is backcrossed again to Ghost OG.
3. According to Scott, Ghost OG is very similar to SFV, but more gas and less lemon though quasi-same.

I can add that Scott is a very nice person and tolerated very well my several approaches with geek questions. :ROFLMAO:
It was a pleasure to speak with him.
I've ended up exchanging a few seeds with Scott and he kindly gifted me a voluptuous amount of his Rug Burn OG regulars for me to experiment with.

Was planning on bringing back the famed Ghost Train Haze #1, though I ended up bringing his latest Runtz Ghost Train. I've since regretted a bit as I really wanted to try out first his GTHz#1, I guess I'll have to fetch it sometime soon. We'll see if he goes to Spannabis next year.
Had a mazar kush from WOS kinda look similar weird smell short bush

hamstring

Veteran
Almost 8 weeks in with 2 more weeks before harvest. Seeing some fading in the leaves so moving forward nicely.

thumb_IMG_1073_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1070_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1065_1024.jpg

Some fox tailing in one of the plants so not sure if my lights are too close or if its a pheno characteristic

thumb_IMG_1066_1024.jpg

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
No pics today but much more to talk about. Its been 10 days since I cut a couple of large buds from my earliest plant.

A couple days after I cut them I decided to do a quick microwave dry. Which if you have ever microwaved cold coffee you understand. It never tastes the same. Still I was excited to try it out.

It was Friday around 4:30 I was still pounding the keyboard for work while doing a couple quick 25 second bursts in the microwave. The buds were in a paper towel. I would pull the paper towel out of the microwave and put it on the kitchen counter. I would go back to my office, hahah I wish , to the couch and go back to work.

I came back in the kitchen around 5:30 eager to roll the first Friday doobie. Gone, no where to be found! I knew what I had happened, my dog ate it. The paper towel and all. She will eat anything off the counter.

We took my grandkids to the zoo that same day. We were gone for hours. Came home and my dog was fine but she could barely stand up. You could have knocked her over with a feather. I am guessing she ate about 1/4oz. She's close to 100 lbs so I new she would be ok. She kept losing control of her back end and falling down , shes 12 yrs old. The grandkids couldn't figure it out but my wife I were giggling.

Before we left for the zoo my daughter and I went out and smoked another joint from the same Starkiller plant. I was excited and all proud of my new strain. I purposely didn't mention it was my plant to her . We smoked a joint and I looked over at her nodding my head and smiling. I asked her what she thought, she was totally unimpressed. It was so funny, totally let the air out my ballon.

Well 10 days later and I picked a couple of small buds from a different plant. Well this time I am very impressed but I will have wait until my daughter gives it the nod.

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
We are getting close to harvest now. Looking at maybe 7 -10 days for some plants and 4-5 of others.

First a quick group shot, I really like this water only compost based soil. I would recommend this to anyone. Add some blumats and you have a really easy to handle system.
thumb_IMG_1088_1024.jpg

There is one pheno I am really excited to try. It has a blueberry/berry smell where all the other phenos lean towards lemon. The bud structure is looser and more leaf too.

thumb_IMG_1078_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1085_1024.jpg

Here are some of the others and there is plenty of frost. My daughter was over yesterday and I gave her a small bag . I still haven't mentioned that I grew it. She commented on the amount of sugar. Hopefully this one will impress her it has impressed me so far.

The fox tailing I see on some many of the buds has me wondering if this is a pheno trait or something in my grow parameters? Has anyone who has grown this strain and had fox tailing?

thumb_IMG_1080_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1082_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1086_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1087_1024.jpg

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
I thought I would finish this with a smoke report. Everything is based off of rolling joints, it is my preferred method.

Each of the 6 plants gave me around 30-32 grams each. Grown in living soil in 3 gal smart pots.
I had some fox tailing but after finding some other photos of Star Killer on the web it looks to be strain related rather than growing conditions.

Smell and Taste (5 out of 10): First let me say that as I have gotten older smell and taste for me are not as pronounced as they once were.
During flower the had a nice lemon smell except for one pheno which had a blueberry/berry smell. Around 8 weeks into flower the smell started to wain from all of them. After harvest 4 of the 6 plants had hardly any smell which translated into no discernible taste.
SK9: Kept its blueberry smell and it s still there when you open the bag. The taste is slightly blueberry especially as you get to the end of the joint where all the resin is.
SK8: This is the keeper pheno. This pheno was less dense with less resin coverage than 4 of the plants. After drying it has more of a piney smell and the taste is the most pronounced. Mostly piney and on the exhale. I don't get any citrus/lemon at all. It was less dense and more leaf than the other plants. It didn't have the fox tailing that the others showed either. It was the best by far though.

Potency (8 out of 10): This is a very potent strain. I didn't have any GG4 to compare but hopefully my outdoor plot will produce some. Going on my memory I believe Star Killer is a more potent strain than GG4. The high comes on quick and is mostly head at first but if you keep puffing it will go to the body also. The first time I rolled a joint I didn't finish it right away. The high lasted a good two hrs. Like most strains you build up a tolerance after a while but this is an impressive strain for potency. I haven't been able to tell if one plant was more potent than another. It may take awhile for me to comment on that.

Resin coverage(7.5 out of 10): Was very nice but as mentioned the keeper strain showed they least amount of frost.

I would recommend this strain to anyone. First they offer it in regular seeds which is a plus and its easy to grow and clone. This was a pheno hunt and I think you could really get nice yield if it was dialed in.

I liked it so much I reached out to Rare Dankness and asked what strain they would recommend I try next. They picked out Scavengers Daughter. I plan on picking up a pack of it to give it a go. Its a straight sativa so will be a challenge for me but I am strongly considering it over one of their flagships Ghost Train Haze #1

I searched but couldn't find anyone who has a grow report on Scavengers Daughter??

thumb_IMG_1119_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1126_1024.jpg

Last edited: