What's new

Standards & Secrets to running a "sealed" room

I just embarked on my first sealed setups...im not fully aware of the rules and benfits or drawbacks to running such a room.

Can you pro's and experienced guys please help me understand the moves that should be made within this setup...I feel like im missing something at my grow spot...im deeply invested into this and need to get it right.

Space is 24x16 over all with a 16x16 flower room, running 10k right now and going to go with another 3k or more later on or as needed.

Thanks for all the help and lets have a great thread for some of us newb's to sealed enviorments!!!

thanks for the info..

I was looking for more of an explanation on how to or how sealed rooms are set to run, ive read so many different things on what "sealed" means, im honestly confused

as in exhaust vs intake or however its supposed to be setup within using my mini split and my exhaust fans

thanks guys

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
thanks for the info..

I was looking for more of an explanation on how to or how sealed rooms are set to run, ive read so many different things on what "sealed" means, im honestly confused

as in exhaust vs intake or however its supposed to be setup within using my mini split and my exhaust fans

thanks guys

No exhaust, No intake...

Minisplit to cool the room...

Dehumidifier to get rid of the humidity...

Co2 setup...

Exhaust fan blowing INTO a carbonfilter, INSIDE the room to kill smell...

nice....thanks Krunch!

question about the Co2 tho....what happens if I don't use it?

I have no experience with Co2 at all, I come from a 10x12 room with 5k that was a passive intake system, using E n F tables

thanks again

J

johndoe123

Co2 is a necessity with a sealed room. With a passive intake/exhaust you are always exchanging the air. With a sealed room air is not exchanged hence the need for co2 supplementation. Co2 is what your plants "breathe".

10-4 guys......now for my space given, 16 x16x 10 with 10k, what would be a good size co2 setup to install?

Any links to an example?

zeet

Veteran
If I were you Chris, I'd run a co2 generator for that size of room...that's what I run in a room with slightly smaller dimensions. I found that running tanks of co2 can be very costly compared to the price of propane that a generator would run off of, not to mention the ease of picking up a 20# tank (blue rhino, etc..) or simply refilling a larger tank.

You will need a Controller & the Sentinel has kept everything environment wise running tight in my room. Try this: http://www.amazon.com/Sentinel-CHHC-4-Total-Enviromental-Controller/dp/B00598BDW2

For even better parameters, you can even control your mini split with it if you have a crafty electrician or are one yourself.

Good luck with your project

z

sureshot66

Veteran
you need powerful dehumidification in sealed rooms, plants transpire at night, and dump a ton of humidity that you need to be prepared for in late flower, i use eagle 20, wall fans and 2 big dehus to handle the humidity and prevent powderdy mildew..im in coco beds so i have alot of moisture in the room, whats your medium?

the gnome

Veteran
If I were you Chris, I'd run a co2 generator for that size of room...that's what I run in a room with slightly smaller dimensions. I found that running tanks of co2 can be very costly compared to the price of propane that a generator would run off of, not to mention the ease of picking up a 20# tank (blue rhino, etc..) or simply refilling a larger tank.
z

i'm with zeet
my room's 14x20,
I'm using a $112 tankless hot water heater drain to waste
and with a shut off solenoid i have around $150 in my co2 gen.

the std. Co2 gas burner i was looking at ran well over $400
and would cycle on for 6-7minutes by their calculator for the amount of cu.ft. I have
and to run 900ppm's, I didn't like the heat from a 7minute burn time,
my Co2 water gen runs 30 seconds on average.
plus the money i saved on that
let me invest into a better quality Co2 controller

on the AC I run a mini split,
it's sized for the grow but It's 7 degrees warmer at the far end of the 20ft run,
mini's don't seem to have a big enuff blower to push the cold air that far and all the things hanging down from
the ceiling doesn't help.
I bought a back up mini split for insurance
running both units I have no more hot spots in the room and when i set temps @ 78 on the AC's i gt 78F.
no more setting the stat down 5-7 deg. to maintain what you want, plus the insurance factor alone is worth 10Xs the investment
if the AC went down it can really screw up your day, week or bloom run

the dehuey is a pretty critical component in a sealed gro,
especially for the nite time RH spike.
by the time i was wrapping up my room build funds were tite!
after looking at the commercial dehueys running $1500-$2000
and after talking to a few that have done this for a while I opted for 2 freidrich 50pt units @$250 each till i could get more funds for the commercial unit.,
they have performed well and are getting the job done for 9months now,
they do so well I'm not sure I'll pick up a commercial unit.
its a wait-n-see how long these last.

good luck and have fun!

sounds like this is my next move I guess, lol

Thanks for all the info guys, really helps me move forward..

Gnome---when you say hot water tankless, you mean the type you would hang on the wall in your house for nonstop hot water??? If so, how does that do the job? im not following you on that one, I mean I get the idea just don't fully understand, ya know? Also, drain to waste? solenoid? got an idea but not sure again.........thanks man

sureshot66

Veteran
im flood tables with netcups and hydroton
cool thats about as low moisture retaining as you get...co2 water heaters run off a co2 sensor that trigger the system..it then gets water pumped through it, heats the water and the hot water gets expelled, hence hot water heater,the burners creating the heat are the co2 source...i dont know if they run to waste or to a big res...i tried one once in a res and it heated the pump so much it wouldnt operate correctly..you need a powerful water supply, so either your wasting a shitload of water or dealing with a res full of near boiling water, i found the savings vs ease of use wasnt even close... burners and tanks are just easy plug and play... plants release co2 at night, so if youre not venting your room should have a good amount to start the daylight with...my rooms always over 2000ppm at lights on, my burner doesnt kick on for at least an hour...i run a 4 burner in a 10 light room and its never on for long,def not close to adding noticeable heat.. if you keep your co2 setpoint( where you want co2) close to the co2 add point ( when this levels reached the burner will kick on) you co2 will run for short periods of time and not add alot of heat...plus build your room with enough ac that a burner which adds minimal heat will nit push you over the edge of acceptable limits..you can run hotter with co2 btw i run 80-85 veg and 74-83 flower depending on week..im not understanding how Gnomes co2 gen which has more burners than a hot water heater would run for 7 minutes and the water heater only 30 seconds for equal co2, that doesnt really make sense.I just read he drains to waste..im in cali we have a drought thats kinda selfish imo, especially when there are other options

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
Gnome---when you say hot water tankless, you mean the type you would hang on the wall in your house for nonstop hot water??? If so, how does that do the job? im not following you on that one, I mean I get the idea just don't fully understand, ya know? Also, drain to waste? solenoid? got an idea but not sure again.........thanks man

yeah, like you hang on the wall.
you don't need anything big at all.
mine was the kind you take on camping trips.
the solenoid is an electrical operated
valve, it opens and shuts to allows water to run thru it when it's *on*, when the co2 controller says time to add Co2 it opens the solenoid/valve which triggers the tankless water heater to fire up.
water runs thru the tankless to either a resivour or you can drain the water to waste, like in a drain,
i use my AC/dehuey condensate line to dump the water outside.
I use to run it to a 32gal trash can and used a 1/6th HP submersible pump to feed water to the tankless,
so water gets used and returns back to the trashcan.
down side, water can gets nasty and it's another thing to clean, also another thing to add heat to the room.
for me It was a space issue, so i went drain to waste.

they sell water cooled co2 generators at gro web sites for $350+
its the same thing as my $112 water heater with a different plastic cover and a fancy logo on it for an extra $200 plus pesos

I like to tinker and a DIY type so this was fun and saved me a couple hundred or more easy.
if your not and are the plug-n-play type just get a reg burner or tank/regulator and go for it
again, good luck and have fun!

here's mine
picture.php

and there's
41pyOLWU7iL.jpg

here's a pic of the solenoid, it's hooked to the co2 controller via extension cord,

picture.php

when it activates, it opens the valve,
the tankless senses water and fires up and Co2 spews.
the blu line feeding the solenoid is the water supply,
red line is outgoing hot water that drains

here
picture.php

]
im not understanding how Gnomes co2 gen which has more burners than a hot water heater would run for 7 minutes and the water heater only 30 seconds for equal co2, that doesnt really make sense.I just read he drains to waste..im in cali we have a drought thats kinda selfish imo, especially when there are other options

you seem confused about the 6-7min I talked about
re-read what I posted, its very clear

as far as cali and your drought...
and me being selfish for my dtw 2000miles away in a semi-tropical area with 60-70" yearly rainfall....
call me selfish then :D

the gnome

Veteran
you edited your post to add this...
co2 water heaters run off a co2 sensor that trigger the system..it then gets water pumped through it, heats the water and the hot water gets expelled, hence hot water heater,the burners creating the heat are the co2 source...i dont know if they run to waste or to a big res...i tried one once in a res and it heated the pump so much it wouldnt operate correctly..you need a powerful water supply, so either your wasting a shitload of water or dealing with a res full of near boiling water, i found the savings vs ease of use wasnt even close...

if you did and from what you say happened you got it as screwed up as it gets
maybe you should have just bought a water cooled co2 genny and read the directions
and btw, they get no where near boilng hot, unless the one you bought was a commercial grade unit.
even so, they have a temp control, you can turn it down if its too hot, eh ;)
as far as a powerful water supply, reg tap or i used a $50 sub pump thats worked fine and with the less that 30sec on time your no where near a *shitload of water*
dunno how you got it to that point
BUT
there's plenty of posts on the subject in this forum
with plenty of people using DIY water cooled o2 gens,
Ive helped quite a few set them up along with budleydorite who set me up.
your the only single person having the probs your saying you have...

pm me or budley if you need help figuring it out :smoke:

sureshot66

Veteran
you edited your post to add this...

if you did and from what you say happened you got it as screwed up as it gets
maybe you should have just bought a water cooled co2 genny and read the directions
and btw, they get no where near boilng hot, unless the one you bought was a commercial grade unit.
even so, they have a temp control, you can turn it down if its too hot, eh ;)
as far as a powerful water supply, reg tap or i used a $50 sub pump thats worked fine and with the less that 30sec on time your no where near a *shitload of water*
dunno how you got it to that point
BUT
there's plenty of posts on the subject in this forum
with plenty of people using DIY water cooled o2 gens,
Ive helped quite a few set them up along with budleydorite who set me up.
your the only single person having the probs your saying you have...

pm me or budley if you need help figuring it out :smoke:

dude please dont patronize me, i can read instructions, even spoke with the manufacturer, my mechanical skills are above average i do my own builds, ac charging,electrical,plumbing etc,...... i was given one and it sucked, perhaps it was the brand, i ran it with a really good pump and it fucked it up the pump bearings with the hot water...if you take water and heat it...and then continue to reheat it over and over it just get hotter, after a couple hours i had steaming black water in a res...

As for the shitload of water...so you run 30 seconds of water, how many times a cycle to keep filling your room? how many hundreds and eventually thousands of gallons do you just flush away to save 150 bucks on a co2 generator?

Last edited:

SourSmoke

Anyone have any insight into why Krunch said to push air through the carbon filter within the room? This seems odd to bypass the prefilter and it is within the room so there aren't any issues with negative or positive pressure. Thanks

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Anyone have any insight into why Krunch said to push air through the carbon filter within the room? This seems odd to bypass the prefilter and it is within the room so there aren't any issues with negative or positive pressure. Thanks

Its to kill the smell, because you are not using an exhaust with a carbon filter...

Latest posts

Latest posts