What's new

squiggles and wiggles: accounts of soil microscopy

The redigested VC turns out much darker when dried out a little, doesn't it?

I sort of neglected my bin by feeding it about 25% of what I used to, and the VC is much darker. I also notice that sometimes that the wigglers start to climb the walls at times, looking for "greener pastures". My bin holds over a cubic yard (27 cu ft), way too much for my MMJ project, so I'm going to augment my raised beds with most of it a little later this Spring.

Mad Librettist, CT, and Microbeman, enjoying your input here. Have learned alot from your posts in other threads - thanks for your dedication of understanding and sharing soil biology.

mad librettist

Veteran
at last!

did a quick check of my worm bin today, first time since adding rice hulls. Lots of microarthropods, and lots of testate amoebae.

AND I FINALLY FOUND A NAkED AMOEBA IN SOIL!!! It was pretty big, taking up most of the view at 200X. I could clearly see the cytoplasm flowing to the pseudopods.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
at last!

did a quick check of my worm bin today, first time since adding rice hulls. Lots of microarthropods, and lots of testate amoebae.

AND I FINALLY FOUND A NAkED AMOEBA IN SOIL!!! It was pretty big, taking up most of the view at 200X. I could clearly see the cytoplasm flowing to the pseudopods.

Now you'll see more and more. It's like hunting for those tiny mushrooms. Once you find one, you see them everywhere.

mad librettist

Veteran
I also notice that sometimes that the wigglers start to climb the walls at times, looking for "greener pastures". .

In some bins you have lots of condensation, and the process stores some heat up near the lid. Worms go bask in the warmth and also eat the microbes that live there. If you leave their casting up there, you might get some predatory gnats moving in (good thing)

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In some bins you have lots of condensation, and the process stores some heat up near the lid. Worms go bask in the warmth and also eat the microbes that live there. If you leave their casting up there, you might get some predatory gnats moving in (good thing)

They also find copulation on wet plastic easier, free from particulate barriers and more fun and lubricated. I interviewed a few couples and this is what they reported.

Honest though, if you (I) look closely, that is what most are doing in that area.

Thank you guys for all the real life data you provide. You've inspired me to dig through my attic an find my microscope from high school. Much love an keep it going.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Teaming with Microbes.

Teaming with Microbes.

Me too. I am a little lost however.
That is a great book to rent from the library or own, "Teaming with Microbes".
Or you can search the internet for 'soil food web'.
Or search Corvallis, OR. ?organic, sfw, ?

Should answer some of your questions.

Basically, when you don't kill your medium with chlorine and chalk it full of salts, interesting things happen as the 'circle of life' takes place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwSKkKrUzUk

P.S. When the budget allows...watch out digital microscope!...and Macro!

mad librettist

Veteran
1fc890fd.jpg

I made that!

mad librettist

Veteran
celestron digital microscope imager model 44421 2mp

works with photobooth but the preview is choppy. I got another software recording video ok but it won't let me just look. I have to be recording to see on the screen, but the eyepieces and camera port are not confocal so it makes it impossible to focus before shooting.

Last edited:
C

CC_2U

I can't find good software to drive this camera on the mac. any ideas?

Best wishes on your search. I've looked for over 2 years without success. A friend of mine finally gave up and installed a WinDoze driver to run under Windows Vista on his Mac.

Weird deal all the way around.

CC_2U