What's new

Square PVC

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I only had some framing Ls to kinda hold it in place, but I think getting those rubber caps is probably a better choice than going with the square PVC.

But I did find these for the square PVC, I wonder if they would work.
http://www.mocap.com/plastic-caps-square-vinyl.html

Square-Caps-group1.png

or these
http://www.mocap.com/tube-plugs-square-standard.html
Plugs-for-Square-Standard-Tubes-group1.png

those caps aren't for watertightness.
they are just to protect people from cutting themselves on the rough cut ends of the PVC.

Frozenguy

Veteran
teflon tape is so easy to use, why not just that in the threads of the round pvc pipe? It doesn't lock up the screw or anything. Just seals the threads with material. You just wrap the threads in 1 minute, then screw the cap on. Easy as tape!

Or you can find some type of adapter that goes from square to circle with threads on it. Like a rain gutter adapter. In fact I think I have one outside lol.

G

greenmatter

those caps aren't for watertightness.
they are just to protect people from cutting themselves on the rough cut ends of the PVC.

you may be able to use some silicon to get them to seal. you would not need very much. if you used it sparingly you could pull them off to clean between runs and re-use the ends.you would have a hard time getting a seal when the pieces are wet.

how sharp are the interior corners on the pipe? if it is a clean 90 instead of a very small radius "plugging " it will be very difficult with no sealer. if the corners are rounded inside maybe an O-ring on one of these plugs would work.

IMHO these exterior caps would not work unless you sealed it with a cable tie. that would be simple and the ties are cheap

G

greenmatter

if you want to stay with the round pipe use a test plug. it is a rubber disc with plastic plates on either side. tighten the wing nut in the middle and DONE. they sell a few sizes at home depot. you may have to cut any fittings off the end of your pipe because these will change the I.D. the plugs are made to fit standard pipe sizes. might also think about changing the bolt in the center to stainless steel. pretty sure these would be easier to get on and off than the rubber caps with the hose clamp. pretty sure thats what teemu is talking about.

Last edited:

supermanlives

Veteran
i made one years ago with 6 inch square. i just used silicone and sealed both ends. then i drilled an access hole at the drain end. worked great in the greenhouse

I think I am going to take the round PVC with the rubber ends. I won't ever go back to a threaded/endcap system again, even if i have to use teflon, I don't think I'll go back.

If there was a way to get some rubber endcaps for the square PVC, I think we all wouldn't use round PVC anymore.

Latest posts

Latest posts