What's new

Square pots VS. Round pots?

619Sativa

While looking through the threads related to brewing tea I learned that it is best to use a round pot to avoid dead spots that the square pots can create. Is this also applicable to your grow container? I like using square containers due to the fact that they are easy to pack close together, and leave me with a more uniform look, but I am also open to the idea of using round containers if it will help with the growth of beni's and what not. Either way, I believe great plants can be grown, but wasn't sure if there was a secret you organic gurus have. Thanks in advance for any help.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
The planets are round,the sun is round........the universe is round
EDIT: For the two cats who neg repped me.....WAAAAA MOMMY!

R

Rysam

The square buckets grow square buds and the round buckets grow round buds.

I personally like the tall square kitty litter buckets because of the smaller footprint which works better in my space, but I use round 3 gallon buckets too. Both work just fine.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
The square buckets grow square buds and the round buckets grow round buds.

I personally like the tall square kitty litter buckets because of the smaller footprint which works better in my space, but I use round 3 gallon buckets too. Both work just fine.
Interesting........yet Hmmmmmm? I can see the kitty litter boxes working....but SQUARE BUDS????? Come on man are U cereal? Trisomes are trisomes(sp?). period. They are far from square...just like me.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
Interesting........yet Hmmmmmm? I can see the kitty litter boxes working....but SQUARE BUDS????? Come on man are U cereal? Trisomes are trisomes(sp?). period. They are far from square...just like me.

Yes container shape has been known to influence plant structure, not bud structure. It has been shown that a plant grown in a round pot in known to take on more of a rounded bushy shape, which makes sense when accounting for roots. Supposedly plants can make better use of square pots and i can understand that, but it may be up for debate depending upon plenty of variables.

Red Fang

Veteran
Square is more space efficient, as you do not have wasted grow room floor space going unused between the pots. But someone made a good point, I would think the round would be more natural to the plant. So I don't know, it's your call anyway. Actually I don't think the plants would care too much, the main factor is if you want to pack in the plants or not. Otherwise it doesn't matter, as far as I know.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Trichomes* sorry bud had to do it.

Yes container shape has been known to influence plant structure, not bud structure. It has been shown that a plant grown in a round pot in known to take on more of a rounded bushy shape, which makes sense when accounting for roots. Supposedly plants can make better use of square pots and i can understand that, but it may be up for debate depending upon plenty of variables.
I forget which way the buds spindle..........counter clockwise?
EDIT: Here's a bit of what I was talking about: http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/bgn/12/12p22.html
Maybe it's not what I'm remembering.............????

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I'll agree that the more root space provided will indeed deliver more results. Square.......works in this regard.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I think i've reached my point of being stoned and too late at night to still be typing. I'm going to sleep before i mess something up.

You have a good point about available root space though. I'm loving squares for ventilation right now instead of circles, you need so many of them.

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Square pot for more plants in an area. Interesting info regardling to plant structure will def look into that for fun. But I was going to use square pots on my next round to maximize space

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I think i've reached my point of being stoned and too late at night to still be typing. I'm going to sleep before i mess something up.

You have a good point about available root space though. I'm loving squares for ventilation right now instead of circles, you need so many of them.
Yes, attend to your woman as I must attend to mine. BOTH of them!!!! I'm outta here myself.
EDIT: the one that talks and the girls that need light and water

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
square is potentially more efficient but there are less sizes of square available and they tend to be tall in relation to their depth.

i use whatever allows me to max out the amount of soil i can get in my cab (4 pots) presently i have round 4 gallon pots with the plastic lip cut off so i can squeeze them in.

V.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
square is potentially more efficient but there are less sizes of square available and they tend to be tall in relation to their depth.

i use whatever allows me to max out the amount of soil i can get in my cab (4 pots) presently i have round 4 gallon pots with the plastic lip cut off so i can squeeze them in.

V.
I guess you said it...........it's true. Space is the key.......more root space = more growth.(yeah I know I said I'm outta' here but she's bein' a bitch)

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I guess you said it...........it's true. Space is the key.......more root space = more growth.(yeah I know I said I'm outta' here but she's bein' a bitch)

they don't call them bitches for no reason haha. Lucky me, girls on the side are easy than girls actually on my side. Two is always better than one...

Back to the topic, i do like the square pots because the maximize space in your cab. Normally with round pots you lose the extra space around the edges, this way everything fits flush .

C

Carl Carlson

There is a simple rule - the taller the container, the more air space.

and

There is a second simple rule - round pots are portions of a cone and square pots are portion of a pyramid. With the shape difference in mind, when the approx. width and height are the same, the square pot has more volume.

So not only do square pots fit into square tables more efficiently, but they contain more volume (i.e. space for medium and roots) and more air space.