What's new

Spotted lanternfly

blondie

Mainly for east coast growers for now at least. These things are all over. I found one on my Oaxacan plant outside . They are on my fig, my berries, apples, peaches and now my marijuana. Red maples are loaded as well. I hope this thing is a minor annoyance and doesn’t turn into a large pest for outdoor growers. Image is the juvenile stage.

Attachments

• 2AD3CBE7-AAD5-4D70-ACBD-CEE9B15E8A1F.jpeg
    2AD3CBE7-AAD5-4D70-ACBD-CEE9B15E8A1F.jpeg
    659.6 KB · Views: 42

blondie

Morning. I meant to post more on this. It’s a recently found in the US Pennsylvania invasive species native to China. It’s been spreading and is now in other eastern states. If you don’t have it yet, chances are good it coming. It can be a very damaging insect, I would say closer to a moth than a lighting bug. They feed on many crops and can be destructive. I’m not a true farmer so don’t really know the extent of possible damage. Only garden crop I’ve seen them on is my Cannabis. And luckily only one so far. Not sure Cannabis is one of its foods. Not sure anyone knows that answer honestly. The plant it was on stinks like skunk. It didn’t seem to mind. Here is one link talking about it.

@Chunkypigs ... you see these things yet?

FletchF.Fletch

420club
There are swarms of those things in some places. Another invasive species.

Makes me wonder if Doodlebugs or some other seemingly harmless insect we're all familiar with are running rampant in some other part of the World? Roley-Poleys taking over.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
We have in NJ. One tree they are attracted to is another china invasive species the tree of heaven which are quick growing weed trees that are hard to get rid off. Have heard of tanglefoot resin used to kill them. If anyone knows other ways, please post them. Also yellow sticky tape around trees since they climb on trunks.

Latest posts

Latest posts