What's new

Split from : The Complete guide to Sick Plants,pH, and Pest troubles!

sproutco

Veteran
That bottle of ph testing solution says wide spectrum. Get something with a narrow spectrum around the ph you will be growing in like 5.6 to 6.2 for soilless mix. Ph meter looked better. I paid $169 for my meter from spectrum technologies. It has a replaceble probe and came with a handy case and ph standard to callibrate the meter. Anything is better than nothing.

G

i dont have 170$ to spend, iv already spent more than 1,000$ on other shit and I have no money

sproutco

Veteran
If your short on cash maybe try out that ph test solution. I used ph test strips when I first started. They are just not exact like to .1 ph point. I bought my fancier meter when I got the cash. My best plant out of a bunch was 5.8 ph in my soilless media. I can adjust the ph of my nutrient solution to exactly that ph +- .1 ph point. With the test strips or ph testing solution you will not be so exact but be within a band. This is still pretty good.

G

I went to the store and had them check the pH of my nutrient water and it was at 6.8 so I went and got the GH test kit, and I got some clearex so im going to flush my pots again and then mix up some more nutrients

G

yea, and the droplet pH test stuff is pretty accurate IMHO, the digital tester the store used came out to 6.8 while this stuff came out to 7.0, the guy at the store said I should adjust my water to like 5.5 and then add my nutrient to it so that it will goo up to 6.0 or so, also ill probably get a bluelab combo meter in august when I get so money

Last edited:

sproutco

Veteran
Don't adjust the water. Adjust the nutrient solution once mixed with acid. I suggest sulfuric acid or battery acid from the autoparts store. Be careful handling. You may need to make a stock. Maybe 1 teaspoon acid to a gallon of water. Then, slowly add this stock to your nutrient solution till the ph gets to 5.5 or whatever your aiming for. Remember how much acid you used so you will be able to repeat the acidification without many tries of too much or too little. You have discovered a major flaw with your grow. I bet all your problems go away once you get this right.

Last edited:
G

well the tap water is at 7.0 pH, and the kit has everything I need, pH up, Ph down, and test stuff.

G

I will, and once Iv got the money ill be getting a combo digital meter along with some more nutrients

G

gscombo.jpg

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
Right on mr. blast your on the right track now..chem testers are a hassle..especially for fine tuning..that Hanna Checker would be a great addition to your toolbox..
When things don't look right the first thing I do is check my run-off..or do a soil test..this is also how I gauge a flush..measure what I'm putting in compared to what's coming out..Organics can lie to your TDS pen..
Now I use beneficial products to adjust pH rather than just pH up or down..I use AN Barricade potassium silicate as a pH up and fulvic acid as a pH down..
Most pH ups have potassium silicate in them..but often include dyes and other alkalines..

From AN: also says on the bottle can be used as for pH control as pH up..the spew:
Plants and trees need silicon to build strong cell walls and maintain maximal metabolism. Advanced Nutrients Barricade potassium silicate formula will substantially strengthen your plant's vigor by increasing cell wall stability and aiding internal functions...

And Fulvic Acid: Well we all know how good fulvic and humic acids are..and it's hard to OD using too much..

I know your using Nova..but a lot of folks don't know about mixing 3 part nutes..always add micro first and dissipate it in the water good before you add bloom, then grow..and make sure pH is low enough(below 7) before you add the micro or it can lock nutes right out of the bottle..mostly the metals..
just FYI..RO water users never deal with this..but some tappers do.. :wave:

G

i went and got some PBP too, and iv known about mixing in the micro first for years now

packn2puff

Veteran
Hey MM just from the pics..it looks like Mg def maybe some iron def or other metals and overwatering..If pH is off I would say it's might be high..
I'm only saying over-water from that last pic especially..it looks text book over-watered.. My :2cents:

packn2puff

Veteran
I'll use stitches text book this is from page 1 of this thread..under over-watering..
Notice the similarities droopy leaves..and yellowish light green blotches.. :chin:

G

also tell me me if im rong or not but dose PBP make yor pH go down below 4.0?, because it did to me and BTW guys today I went and swiched to R/O water and it had a pH of 6.5, ppm 10

mexicanmafia

Dank Galore!
it's droopy in the pic because i had just flushed it.... my ph meter is not working good, i got to get the calibrating solution.... i've been feeding w/ flora nova grow 7-4-10 in soil, w/ 50% perlite and about 1-1/12 tbs per gallon of dolomite lime... here is a pic of the same plant like 3-4 days ago...

i'm thinking my ph is high but i can't mesure it now, i have a crappy soil meter that you stick in the soil but heard that they are not good/reliable? :chin:

oh well, hope she makes it till i get some money(dissability) :confused:

thanks alot friends!

mm

Latest posts

Latest posts