What's new

Spider Mites

Redbuddz

High All

I have been dealing with spider mites for the past year or two and several times in the past. They always seem to appear and they not so easy to get rid of 100%. I know they have that fogger in the can that works very well but I'm seeking other methods of 100% kill.. Someone told me about burning sulfur. Does anyone know of this and how to do this properly?

Redbuddz

Redbuddz

Thanks Chuck. I just checked it out. Seems like a good product. I will give it a try but still wondering about sulfur.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Mites are slaves to their breeding cycle. Killing all newly hatched mites (every 2-3 days) for 14 days will break the cycle. Even Safer's 3-in-1 will do this, if properly applied. Whatever you do, keep azadirachtin products away from your cannabis, a percentage of the population (myself included) have significantly nasty reactions to it. Thanks.

Look for and eliminate any outside sources of re-infection.

Emmay_Dee

If you use plastic pots the top of them tend to curl outward and leave a slender gap around the ring. Also if your grow space has a smooth floor as opposed to say carpet or even concrete you will never rid these fucks.

Mites use webbing initially to ease their way from A-Z without having to walk over B and C and D and E etc. etc.

A smooth surface is always the easiest and quickest way from A-Z. Take away all their flat planes and its like cutting off the enemies bridges and supply roads. This is war people.

This is one way i use chemical less organic indoor mite control.

Theres never a need to go anywhere or buy anything when thinking outside a box.

Redbuddz

High Again ALL. As long as I got some ears here I have a few questions. Spider Mites lay their eggs in the soil or on the leaf/plant? Spider Mites only live on plant matter right? they don't live on humans or just dirt? How long do predatory mites live for? they are at my local hydro store in a fridge, how long do they last when stored in the fridge?

Thanks for the replies All

Redbuddz

Granger2

Veteran
Go to Cannabis Infirmary and check the Spider Mite Borg sticky. I would not buy predatory mites from a local source. They are probably not very viable. Get them fresh from Buglogical. Good luck. -granger

spider and predatory mites lay eggs on the underside of leaves. they look like microscopic pearls and spider mite eggs are white, predatory mites are orange tinted. but basically they live for about two weeks but the strategy is to get the predatory mites to establish and reproduce multiple generations.

Douglas.Curtis

spider and predatory mites lay eggs on the underside of leaves. they look like microscopic pearls and spider mite eggs are white, predatory mites are orange tinted. but basically they live for about two weeks but the strategy is to get the predatory mites to establish and reproduce multiple generations.
Just an FYI, predatory mites do not like low temp, low RH environments. I do not prefer high temp, high RH cannabis results. The other downside to predatory mites is they are still living beings which leave non-cannabis residues and corpses.

Redbuddz

I was hoping to get some more info here on mites and what organic materials work best. I still have no info on the proper use of burning sulfur and I read on the borg thread that you can use an ozone generator to aid in getting rid of them but I am not sure if it kills them or just repels. I'm also looking for info on where they lay eggs. I know they do on the bottom of leaves but will they also lay eggs on other surfaces like cardboard? wood? plastic?

Douglas.Curtis

I was hoping to get some more info here on mites and what organic materials work best.
Again... mites are slaves to their breeding cycle. Even safer's 3-n-1, with a thorough spray every 2-3 days, will rid you of your mite infestation in 14 days. You simply need to kill all living mites as they hatch and before they become mature enough to lay more eggs.

I'm also looking for info on where they lay eggs. I know they do on the bottom of leaves but will they also lay eggs on other surfaces like cardboard? wood? plastic?
They lay eggs on plant surfaces, where they can immediately begin feeding after hatching.

I do use a sulfer burner, the sulfer burner changes the ph in the air and that same ph change keeps them down, i had two rooms get infested and i noticed the one with sulfer burner they were not as thick, but still had them only because i started the sulfer burner after i had them. I found that the clones i was getting i kept bringing them in with out properly getting rid of them before hand. The way i got rid of them lil bastards was to freeze out my room during winter, its an outside stand alone shed so i could cut the heat off. In addition i got rid of all my old bamboo stakes i was using, cleaned and washed pot, took any and all clutter out of the room, removed and threw away outside any leafs i removed. Not in a pile in the floor. I cant say a sulfer burner is 100 % effective but it keeps them back.

Trick #2 rubbing alcohol get 91% if you can. theres 76% rubbing alcohol too, use a 1:1 ratio water to rubbing alcohol, and spray down the plants. An issue however is here in Washington the state growers were using it however they failed tests in the state labs. i would think that in full flower spraying them down can result in failed test but if your still in veg and catch it early you might be good.

Coloradoclear

The real question is how to prevent the mites from getting into your garden. It is very common for them to infest your garden when new clones are brought it. A lot of folks dip their clones and isolate them from the main garden for a couple weeks. Look into as many preventive measures as possible. Once your done with this crop, shut the space down and bleach the hell out of it. Every surface needs to be wiped down. Also remove all potential carriers like a bag of soil or a bucket with a little water in the bottom.

Yes prevent them lil buggers is key, for one start from seed, stay out of other rooms infested. yes dip them clones before bringing them in. in my case i thought that they were clean i looked them over but not under a microscope, at the time didn't notice any eggs but they were there.

Latest posts

Latest posts