What's new

Space Queen Bag Seeds (+ a Grapefruit)

O

OKD

So I wanna be eligible to be a test grower for one of these great breeders on ICMag, and I see that I need a documented grow from start to finish.
So I'm gonna document some screwing around I'm going to do with 3 Space Queen bag seeds and a Grapefruit bagseed. I didn't really get to try the SQ or the GF weed, but my friend said the GF smelled just like...grapefruit!
I've done three grows, two good and one bad. I've got four girls in the flowering....uh....compartment right now, and I can't really do another grow after they are done until later this summer.
So I have a super-hodgepodge veg area set up, with some 2 foot fluorescents, a grow CFL, and a weird blue light I found at my mom's (some kinda sleep aid I guess). I usually use a HappyLamp in the veg area too but it's been drafted into use for garden seedlings (tomatoes, peppers, basil, cilantro, dill).
Most days I throw most of the plants from the veg area into the flower room for almost 12 hours. The flower area is lit by a 400W HPS lamp and a cheesy CFL flowering lamp and hood. I cluster the four flowering ladies under the HPS.

O

OKD

Feb. 23 to Mar. 24

Feb. 23 to Mar. 24

Here's a quick link to Harvest #1, of Grapefruit and Space Queen #3.

Here's a quick link to Harvest #2, of Space Queen #2.

In hindsight I would number the Space Queens and measure plant height every other day at least.

So here goes with some catching up:

Feb. 23 I dropped the 4 seeds into water, in my trusty Red Stag shot glasses and put them in a safe spot.

Feb. 25 Planted seeds using tweezers into peat pots with a mix of peat and perlite and watered them.

Mar. 8 Transplant to Lowe's all-purpose 1 gallon (?) buckets with potting soil, peat moss, vermiculite, and perlite mix. Watered thoroughly.

When I use the term 'feed' I will be referring to aerated compost tea.
In the veg stage tea I use, per gallon of water, ~1 TBS molasses, ~1 tsp Maxibloom liquid seaweed stuff, ~1-3 TBS high N Mexican bat guano, and ~1 cup compost. I boil about two cups of water and then add the molasses and bat poop and let it sit at least ten minutes before I add it to the tea bucket. I then aerate the tea for at least 18 hours
I mix it up and add ~1 tsp FoxFarm Grow Big (trying to use the rest of the bottle) or ~1 tsp hydrolised fish stuff. Lately I have been experimenting with adding composted chicken poop from our hens, as well as some goose poop from the local flocks down here by the Yellowstone.

O

OKD

Mar. 25

Mar. 25

The 3 SQs and the GF are looking great. 1 SQ is big and tall. The Grapefruit is squat. I can't wait to take clones from them.

O

OKD

Mar. 25 continued

Mar. 25 continued

Foliar fed the girlies with some Maxicrop, bat guano and compost tea. Made sure they got blown dry before bed at 11 PM.

O

OKD

Mar. 26

Mar. 26

Fed the ladies this morning and rinsed them off. Here's some pics of their den. There's some basil and tomatoes basking in the light also.

O

OKD

Mar. 27

Mar. 27

Threw the girls in the flower room while I waited for the clone mix and my water to warm up. Forgot to bring the water in last night and it was a bit icey.
Took a clone off Space Queen #1. Inspected them all for smell and resin gland production. All pretty average.

That plastic baggie idea for the clone wasn't a good idea. It wasn't rigid enough when it got wet so I had to replace it with a cutoff plastic container and saran wrap.
I put it on the heat mat with the Happy Lamp (60+? watt fluorescent).

O

OKD

Mar. 28

Mar. 28

Cloned Space Queen 2. Here's a shot of the new high tech cloner:

O

OKD

Apr. 1

Apr. 1

Was out of town for Easter weekend and got back last night after 8 PM.
I had to toss out Space Queen #2 clone. I got too cocky with my cloning or something. SQ#1 looks miserable.

Was trimming off some of the lower growth and accidentally sliced off a stalk of the little Grapefruit. I went ahead and cloned it, so we'll see...

O

OKD

Apr. 2

Apr. 2

Fed the girlies a nice compost tea this morning and sliced off a lower stalk to clone SQ#3. Here they are snug as a bug:

O

OKD

Apr. 3

Apr. 3

The girlies are lookin' good. Even two of the clones look fine! Something's wrong...

O

OKD

Compost

Compost

Here's some nice foam-up on the compost tea:

And my compost pile was steaming at 94 degrees F. It was 32 F when I went outside the other morning.

O

OKD

Apr. 7

Apr. 7

Fed seedlings with experimental goose poop tea. Threw out Space Queen clone #1 and took new clones of SQ1 and 2.
Heights in inches:
SQ1 8
SQ2 5-3/4
SQ3 7-1/4
GF 6-3/4

O

OKD

Apr. 9

Apr. 9

Transplanted SQ3 and GF to larger pots. I am transplanting these now because I feel confident that the corresponding clones will succeed. SQ3 is pleasantly stinky :blowbubbles:
I will flower these two in about a week, I think.
The goose poop tea didn't kill anything. Even got some growth:

SQ1 9
SQ2 6-1/2
SQ3 7-3/4
GF 7

Nice, your quest is the same as mine! At least your seeds have a cool name, my grow log is gonna be called Jar Good.... LOL! I am pulling up a seat for this one.

O

OKD

Apr. 11

Apr. 11

Hey guys, thanks for stopping by! Checking out your bag seed grows as well!
The ladies are looking good today. I watered Space Queens 1 and 2 today. They are still stuck in Lowe's buckets until I have a little more room. All the clones are looking good; took them "out" for a walk today.

O

OKD

Apr. 14

Apr. 14

Looking Good man, keep up the good grows! :dance013:
Thanks, sir :tiphat: Hope to see yours soon!

On Sunday I transplanted my Grapefruit clone to a bigger pot. It immediately wilted, so I improvised a humidity dome and it's gonna live.
I still have the Space Queen 1 to 3 clones in the Meadow Gold ice cream bucket clone chamber. Here they are before I transplanted the GF.

I fed all the big girls, Space Queens 1 thru 3 and Grapefruit.

O

OKD

Apr. 14 (cont'd)

Apr. 14 (cont'd)

Space Queens 1 and 2 are still in the small 1 gallon Lowe's buckets. SQ1 especially is dyin' to get upgraded. She's lookin a lil rootbound.
I plan on transplanting as soon as I have some room.
I'll be throwin' SQ3 and GF, who are both in larger (3 gal?) pots, into flower soon. Then I'll have room to pot up and also start potting the clones.
SQ3 continues to have a nice stinky weed smell...

Oh, and last but not least, one of the new generation of fertilizers (and egg producers):