What's new

Source of Calcium without Nitrogen.

Old Piney

Wood ash is good for calcium it's about 25 present and contains no nitrogen it will raise the Ph and definitely should be leached out good first

Three Berries

I've been using a lot of Calcium Chloride as of late. I'm concerned about the chlorine build up. Soil is ProMix Bx. I understand though that the chlorine is disassociated when in the soil, does not bind to soil particles and will flush out easily.

I'm 40 days or so into the grow. The Ca deficiency really showed up at 30 days. This also happened when I first used the ProMix with an auto. I just thought it ran out of nutes in general.

So ProMix really being a soilless mix and high CO2 and LEDs it will defiantly bleach out the new growth. I'm hammering it daily with additional CaCl2 and I remembered I had some CAN so made a concentrated mix of that.

Been either foliar feeding a 1300 ppm mix with glycerin or/and watering with the 125ml, sometimes twice a day , with the same 1300 ppm CaCl2.

But I did raise my light, turned the 50w red back on (for heat) for a total of 150w or so and as long as I can keep treating as I am staying just behind the yellowing new growth. where I think I want to be for now.

Did my first water to run off yesterday and the pH is higher than I want at 7.0-7.2 in the three pots. So I am going to be more aggressive with the watering to run off for now to flush the chlorides. Chloride excess looks like the typical nute excess with burnt margins an tips.

A pic from this morning.

Yellow tip and older leaf.jpg

Last edited:

beta

Veteran
Has anyone else experimented with a top dressing of gypsum in the second half of flower in a pure coco / salt / DTW setup?

Three Berries

Man, that seems like a lot of calcium. But I guess you can get away with it in foliar?
I use to just do the soil but it makes it too wet to ever give nutes too. Foliar raises the humidity so I have to do that while the lights are still on as it's all I can do to maintain 70% lights out.

It sucks it up on the foliar spray. The yellow will clear up with the lights off as long as enough Ca is there. If you can catch it before a couple of days goes by it won't permanently harm the leaf.

I'm watering with hard well water too, ~440 ppm.

This grow I'm staying hard on the Ca. In the past I haven't and then two weeks into flower it starts suffering. But this is a winter time situation and my spring/summer/fall grows the CO2 is 1000 ppm or so.

Tomatoesonly

I use to just do the soil but it makes it too wet to ever give nutes too. Foliar raises the humidity so I have to do that while the lights are still on as it's all I can do to maintain 70% lights out.

It sucks it up on the foliar spray. The yellow will clear up with the lights off as long as enough Ca is there. If you can catch it before a couple of days goes by it won't permanently harm the leaf.

I'm watering with hard well water too, ~440 ppm.

This grow I'm staying hard on the Ca. In the past I haven't and then two weeks into flower it starts suffering. But this is a winter time situation and my spring/summer/fall grows the CO2 is 1000 ppm or so.
Are you using any amino acids for calcium uptake? I learned that from Harley Smith on Youtube... it was the big super secret he learned.

Tomatoesonly

What do you think the PPM's (or percent) of calcium can be before it locks up other nutrients? Assuming a 1000ppm veg formula.. say 15-8-20

Broggemann

Three Berries said:
A pic from this morning.

I remember someone posting about his daily CaCl2 foliar sprays a couple of months ago, maybe it was you... but I said even back then, that's not a calcium deficiency, but rather a picture perfect potassium deficiency.

Just try it!
You can't really pump more calcium in this plant anyways...

Three Berries

I remember someone posting about his daily CaCl2 foliar sprays a couple of months ago, maybe it was you... but I said even back then, that's not a calcium deficiency, but rather a picture perfect potassium deficiency.

Just try it!
You can't really pump more calcium in this plant anyways...
I'm sure it was. I get this problem a lot and the nutes I use is below par for K compared to other cannabis nutes. I'm giving extra K with Langbeinite. Using a saturated mixture, 240 gr/L and add about 20 mL to a L of nutes, this also is my Mg additive. The veg is 24-8-16 and I'm doing about a1/2-3/4 strength.

The foliar feeding and top dressing with Ca fix it in veg but in flower always gets the K deficiency look. Prior to this I just used Epsom for the Mg.

Maybe more Langbeinite?
Lagbeinite chemical content.jpg

This morning some yellow tips still but not too bad I'll switch to foliar feeding with KMg instead of the Ca.

Last edited:

Three Berries

Got through that period OK. I ended up doing a two day foliar with the 1300 ppm Langbeinite (KMg) and that didn't show any improvement in the yellow tip/new growth issue so went back to frequent spritzing with the 1300 ppm CaCl2 spray, 2-3 times a day. As long as I did that then the yellow tips developed normally. If I wouldn't have, like when I stopped for two days of the KMg then the yellow tip turns brown.

Also about every three days gave them 150mL of 1300 CaCl2 directly on the soil. This aggravates the soil drying to add nute mix though. Finally water with some flower nutes with a cup of the KMg added. Using the Miracle Grow bloom booster for the last time as it's so shy on K.

Another week and they go 12/12. So the last watering of the MG and then switching to Master Blend. Will keep adding additional Ca though CAN until done with stretch. I'll stop with the KMg.

This was the three I did a seed starting test on using H2)s and monopotassium phosphate. The fastest sprouted got root damage from one of the heaters at transplant time. Accidentally left the probe out and heater on. It is quite stunted but a couple cups of H2O2 3% seemed to fix it and it's growing again.

Two Fimmed and one topped. The topped one is tallest and has double the node stretch vs the Fimmed ones.

Last edited: