What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sour Bubble Preservation Help

Indica808

I have a question on genetic/seed preservation. In 2020 I bought a pack of BOG Sour Bubble seeds from Mr. and Mrs. BOG shortly before the passing of a legend. The pack probably had 10-12 seeds, I can't remember exactly. Long story short, out of that pack of seeds I ended up with 1 male and 1 female. Don't ask me how or why, let's just say they were the last 2 standing. I ended up collecting pollen from the male and pollinated the female with it. Pollination was successful, seeds produced and I eventually harvested when ready. Collected about 80 nice brown seeds total.

The grow took place full Outdoor in mid winter out here in Hawaii. Out here in Hawaii we can grow year round. If you pop seeds during the fall/winter months here on the Islands, we have a "short season" where plants just grow into little stocks ranging anywhere about 1'-2' in height. Height all strain dependent. The 1'-2' stalks are just the indicas I've personally been growing, like the Sour Bubble being discussed. Short Season is roughly 2 ½-3 months long from Germination to harvest.

Putting this all in perspective, I come to realize how valuable my brainless pollen chucking has become in this particular instance being that BOG anything right now is almost impossible to find.

A year later, meaning currently, I decided to test run some of these Sour Bubble seeds I made to see if they're even viable. So about a month ago I popped 8 of the seeds that I made. They germinated successfully and have been growing for several weeks now. After showing sex, I have 3 males and 5 females. Being that they are growing in the outdoor natural photoperiod I would say they are in the pre-flowering stage.

So this is where all this leads. I'm looking to preserve/produce these Sour Bubble seed stock. Purely for personal stock, zero commercial intention. Anti-babylon. I'm looking for input or guidance from people who would have the knowledge and experience in guiding/helping me with this project. My hawaiian country hick self was just going to keep taking the best Sour Bubble male I can find and pollinating the best Sour Bubble female. Then I read about improper inbreeding causing loss of vigor, quality, etc. I'm looking to do this right.

Open to all recommendations. How do you guys recommend I go about with these Sour Bubble seeds. My goal is to have more Sour Bubble seeds while remaining stable. Would it be improper for me to be taking a Sour Bubble male pollen straight to a Sour Bubble Female? Will I run into inbreeding problems? How do I inbreed properly? Would it be more ideal that I cross the Sour Bubble into another strain to keep it stable?

Zero experience in breeding so open to any input. With the 8 currently going, I have about a couple weeks before the males start dropping pollen. No rush here. Turtle wins the race.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Ive been wondering about Sourbubble bx3 for a while now hoping someone preserved it... I have maybe a dozen seeds of it mixed in with some sweet tooth seeds... Both are big..... but I really want to collect more Sourbubble from all sources.....Its definitely one of the most special genes of the early 2000s....Before the big seed maker explosion of business, and relabeling old stuff....Sad times...

I would start looking into reversing males, so you can see how the males look in bud form and you can smoke to judge them.... Then have a entire perspective on what it brings to the table when you pollinate your chosen girls..... Definitely rub stems, and judge smells.....Try to write down and scale/judge how strong the smells are, and how well they pass on.... Say 50% lemon 50% skunk with hints of incense or hints of cofee..... and passes on that profile strongly or weakly ....... Try to label the different types you find.....and then look for the extremes/best/most exotic version of said type.....Say a strong lemon pinesol cleaner pheno, a skunky beer pheno.....and a spicey earthy pheno...... Then keep track of what passed into the next generation, and what changed.. if the special one pops up more frequently or less frequently...

I would honestly try to breed into something as pure sativa as you can also... To contrast, and make it easiest to discern/tell whats what..No confusion or misconceptions to deal with.... Plus you get all the vigor from the genetic diversity adding a boost of energy to the stock..... Once you do the indica sativa hybrid you can backcross back to the sourbubble male or female and maybe introduce that bx offspring again to the original set of parents for a solid BX/IBL project.... Theres many ways to go about it, maybe someone can elaborate more eloquently than me either way you are steering in a beautiful direction.

Im more of a sativa guy, and sourbubble is one of the few indicas I seek for my projects... Id definitely like to join in and help preserve Sourbubble... Hopefully this is the start of a very special group of like minded folks.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You could choose your favorite female and male to make more seeds, or you could use all of the good males and all of the good females... which would make for more genetic combinations which might or might not be preferable to using 1 of each. Without progeny testing the males then you are kind of 'putting all your eggs in one basket' by using a single one. really down to personal choice. If it was me i would use all the decent looking males and females. Inbreeding can cause a loss of vigor and other problems... and again with more combinations you are more likely to find some that have fewer problems.

VG

jessethestoner

an open pollination is your best bet imo. I would remove any specimens that were lackluster and just let multiple males pollinate multiple females and then when you have many seeds you can try to develop new generations using a stud male and female. While still having a large group to fall back on

Indica808

Awesome. Appreciate the input. Everything you guys say makes sense. Definitely steering me in the right direction.

Through further research I am now able to understand that there is a difference between inbreeding and filial breeding (f1's,f2's, etc.). Pertaining to the pack of Sour Bubble seeds that I originally purchased from BOG, what would those seeds be considered as far as f1, f2 term, if even? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Did BOG Stabilize Sour Bubble to the point of IBL consideration? I'm trying to understand breeding terminology in itself using BOG Sour Bubble as an example in this case.

For instance, the seeds that I created with the SB male and female found from the original pack, what would these new seeds be considered? Does that fall under filial breeding or inbreeding?

The 8 tester seeds that I explained in my previous post. The fact that they are siblings of the same progeny and generation, what would the offspring of these produce as far as f2 or f3 terminology or whatever may be?

So in the end, if I continue to pop more of my Sour Bubble seeds I created there is technically nothing wrong with me taking the best male and female and making more seeds? Obviously inherited characteristics are going to fall on how well I select male and females to breed to continue vigor, potency, etc.

I'm just trying to ensure that if I continue to breed a male and female of the same progeny and generational seedlot that I am not improperly inbreeding.

I hope my questions make sense. Thank you for your help.

Indica808

Sorry for the delayed. We have sunny 78 degree days in the winter here so my hands are too dirty at times to be typing.

So about the Sour Bubble seed project. I ended using 2 males and open pollinated 5 females. The plants stayed short. Maybe 1 ft tall. It took about 3 months from germination date to harvest for full flower maturation here in Hawaii during the winter.

The stem rubs on the males were earthy. The females ranged from earthy dank musk to a sour lemony scent. Super sticky, filled with trichomes. There was one female in particular with the lemon scent. I've read on these forums the boys go crazy for that one. I think?

Being that it's winter and the grow site was over 1000' elevation, nights got cold. All 5 females threw out purple flowers. Both males faded purple. Males stayed a stalk, not really any branching. Same for females. Except 1 female that threw some branches. The lemon scented female was a straight stalk.

I let the males go full term til they pretty much died. The females were fully receptive and all fully seeded. Females just got harvest. Probably got over 500 seeds, and that's being super genereous on count. Probably closer to 1000. Super stoked.

Now I can do a very wide progeny run on the next round and hopefully find some beauties to further preserve. Thank you guys for leading me in the right direction. Really appreciate it.

Indica808

[No message]

Attachments

• photo2103450.jpg
    photo2103450.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 102
  • photo2103451.jpg
    photo2103451.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 87
  • photo2103452.jpg
    photo2103452.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 98

Indica808

Haha my bad. Thinking about it our cold nights drop to 55 degrees where I live in the mountain. Which is a joke to you mainland boyz. Sorry forgot my audience.

CARE giver

Sour Bubble Connoisseur
Veteran
Glad to see this post. Hope something comes of it 😎!

if I can be of any assistance I will help out. I’m sure I’ll find a gene pool soon.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Great work! Those are the types of plants I love. Totally regret never growing Sour Bubble when it was still available.

johnnyla

Veteran
Packs pop up periodically on seeds here now. Sign up for alerts and be ready to pull the trigger right away. They are the same big ass seeds like all the previous packs of sour bubble.