What's new

SOUND ADVICE PLEASE

NOKUY

Veteran
aiight...i typed this once and i lost it by hitting a back button.

this is serious advice i need.

damn this suks that i have to re-type.

ok ...most u know that i'm pretty content and happy in colorado befoe i move back to alaska.

my parents want me to go to TX where the have free land and a good job for me.

my dad is a chemical engineer...more specific petro. (his company designes builds and sells refineries)

my parents are retired and still get salary because the company doesnt allow them to seek employment elsewhere.....if that makes sense.

they want me to move to texas and take a job as a "plant operator" or "plant super"

start pay would be about the same as i make now, cost of living would be less.

im not from that area, so im a bit off it....it seems all country.

their address is cleburn, and the place they want me is "mineral wells"

what should i do?

G

Seems to me if you go there you would be able to save more money and then you would be able to pay off your land in Alaska quicker...sounds like a good opportunity to me. My father wanted me to do the same thing...so I moved home and started working with him and my brother...have been able to save enough money and with a few sound investments and "business ventures" i am on my way to owning a house where i live and am looking into a 50+ acre property up north...good luck

NOKUY

Veteran
it might be the right thing to do....

i dont undertand peeps here any more than i understand peeps there

...tho i like snowboard chicks, and there arent any in texas.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
There is no amount of money or wealth that is greater than the value of spending time with adult parents. It is a journey into the questions you have about yourself. Time is finite, there are no do overs.
H

G

Haps said:
There is no amount of money or wealth that is greater than the value of spending time with adult parents. It is a journey into the questions you have about yourself. Time is finite, there are no do overs.
H

No doubt about that...I moved 3000 miles away when I was 18 and only saw my family maybe once or twice a year...moved back to the area when i was 28 and i didn't really know them anymore nor they me...i have a great relationship with my mom, dad, and siblings now but it took a while to get to know one another again...i have 3 nephews and 2 nieces and i would really regret it if i still lived that far away and didn't have relationships with them and see them grow up

although someday i would really like to buy some land back in norcal and spend a few months a year out there....oh man i miss cali

Last edited:
G

NOKUY said:
it might be the right thing to do....

i dont undertand peeps here any more than i understand peeps there

...tho i like snowboard chicks, and there arent any in texas.
wrongo bucko,,,,,,mega southern chicks love to snowbard, just a 2 hr plane ride,,,,,,most of my friends spend the winters in colorado.....
good luck on the move.......home is in the head......texas is full of awesome growers and great strains, i think you will be presently surprised.......

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Yukon, your heart is in Alaska. Take the course that gets you there the quickest.

NOKUY

Veteran
Pops said:
Yukon, your heart is in Alaska. Take the course that gets you there the quickest.

k+ and thanks bro!

ive followed my heart back to AK a few times....only to come back to the lower 48 when i got bored and broke in the off-season.

canadian mounties arent too fond of USA hippies playin hackey-sak on the side of their broken down VW mini-van.

i cant follow my heart or i'll get in trouble....thats why i'm being more logical this time....

...i know where i wanna be, and for the next 10 or so years if it takes me that to make it then ill take the hits.

NOKUY

Veteran
Pops said:

pops i hear that sooooo well....and I could go and be on a fishing boat by tomorrow.....even late today....and make the same i make today.

im trying to weigh this all out:

i could sit here and be comfortable joe in colorado....(no big deal to me...but easy)

i could move to texas and work for 20 more years, and have it pretty easy i guess.

i could go back to alaska on any given day and risk my life (which doesnt matter) and make a grip on a boat for a few more yrs.

see where im sittin?

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yukon, Pops advise is really good, you only get one round here, be happy, experience as much as you can and have FUN!

NOKUY

Veteran
Mrs.Babba said:
Yukon, Pops advise is really good, you only get one round here, be happy, experience as much as you can and have FUN!

thanks mrs!...and tru sound advice.....even quote worthy!

but where do ya draw the line between major life change and comfort.?

thats kind of what im trying to figure out?

b8man

Veteran
Is there any difference in the law regarding canna in TX? Might be a factor to consider.

If i were you i'd probably give TX a try. Change can be good. And if you don't like it then you just move back to you're old place.

G

i dont think you would like texas,nokuy...
i lived there for 2 years back in the day.went to school at the university of texas...go long horns...LOL..
....i remember alot of hot days and big cowboy hats..but plenty of fine looking ladies..
i was glad to get back to the windy city...:rolleyes:

you seem to be more of the grizzly adams type...
256250px-LifeandTimesofGrizzlyAdams1974.jpg

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
With the opportunity and Position you are being offered...it might do you a li'l good to be stuck in some small Texas town-- Good to help you focus on your job...and your Family-- Alaska isn't going anywhere...and I don't know how old your parents are...but I know I missed out on getting to know mine before they passed--
IDK...there are a million different variables...so nobody but you can make the decision--
Alaska is a pretty enticing place tho-- :lurk:

G

Anything to get to alaska...make it happen! If i was in your shoes i would move down to Texas and get that job. Why? Because its just another new experience in your life and you can spend time with your parents and it can lead to some new beginnings. You could save a lot of money and be finicially ready for the "adventure" you have been dreaming of! Think about it man!

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Life decisions are often dictated by family. Mine were dictated by the needs of a wife and 4 children, forcing me to give up the dream of a small self-suffiicient farm. After 40 years, I can look back and see that I probably made the wrong decision at the time. The farm probably would have been better for my marriage(though my ex-wife would disagree) and I know it would have been better for my kids. It is unfortunate that life is not like a video game,where you can save a game and start over if you screw up. Life is full of mistakes and bad choices,and as a good lady said, you only have one good shot. Think it over carefully,my friend. Family is important, but so are dreams.

tngreen

Veteran
STAY IN COLORADO!!!! trust me on this, ive lived there and have family in Texas. from what i can tell by your posts, someone like you would not like it there very much. where i live is very similar to Texas and i can't wait for the day i am able to make the move out to CO. if you are looking for a change, then why not. but like you said, no snowboard girls in Texas.

SalParadise

NOKUY said:
ok ...most u know that i'm pretty content and happy in colorado befoe i move back to alaska.

my parents want me to go to TX ........

they want me to move to texas........

the place they want me is ....

Anything stand out to you? I think the question you need to ask yourself is: "What do I want to do?"

Latest posts

Latest posts