What's new

Sonia Sotomayor and Cannabis : Our New Supreme Court Justice

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Every judge still associating with the Democrat and Republican parties are bad news.

"The two real political parties in America are the Winners and the Losers. The people do not acknowledge this. They claim membership in two imaginary parties, the Republicans and the Democrats, instead.
Both imaginary parties are bossed by Winners. When Republicans battle Democrats, this much is certain: Winners will win.

"The Democrats have been the larger party in the past -- because their leaders have not been as openly contemptuous of Losers as the Republicans have been.

"Losers can join imaginary parties. Losers can vote.

"Losers have thousands of religions, often of the bleeding heart variety. The single religion of the Winners is a harsh interpretation of Darwinism, which argues that it is the will of the universe that only the fittest should survive.

"The most pitiless Darwinists are attracted to the Republican party." - Kurt Vonnegut

J

JackTheGrower

I have read those court rulings.. Seems she joined in on the Federal side of things.
It's safe to guess she will do so in the future.

Still not enough for me at this time.. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

I read that she was appointed by Bush I and promoted by Clinton and now promoted by Obama.

I found that she was involved with Baseball and is a Yankees fan
------------
Sports Business
Sotomayor’s Baseball Ruling Lingers, 14 Years Later

When he introduced Judge Sonia Sotomayor on Tuesday as his nominee for the Supreme Court, President Obama cited only one of her cases to make his argument that she replace Justice David H. Souter — and it wasn’t her opinion in Ricci v. DeStefano, a race-discrimination lawsuit.

Instead, it was the temporary injunction she issued to end the baseball strike in 1995.

“Some say that Judge Sotomayor saved baseball,” said Obama, who offered another paragraph of praise for her before saying she was raised “not far from Yankee Stadium.” While bestowing upon her Ruthian status (Babe, not Bader Ginsburg) is a bit hyperbolic, there is no doubt of the importance of her decision.

The players strike wiped out the playoffs and the World Series in 1994. It wounded the sport so deeply that baseball needed the record endurance of Cal Ripken Jr. and the home runs of Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa, whose slugging is now retroactively tainted, to recover its equilibrium and popularity.

Donald Fehr, the executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association, does not portray Sotomayor, now a federal appeals judge, as the sport’s rescuer whose efforts produced the everlasting peace.

“Her ruling did not produce an agreement, but it gave the parties time to get on with normal business and get back to the bargaining table and produce an agreement,” he said. “If it hadn’t ended when she ended it, it would have gone on for some time and it would have gotten uglier and uglier.” And had it gone on, owners were ready to use replacement players.

Sotomayor, then a federal district court judge in Manhattan, was faced with a petition filed by the National Labor Relations Board seeking a finding of unfair labor practices by baseball owners. The players had struck over the likelihood that owners would impose a salary cap, which they did. After withdrawing the cap in early 1995, owners tried a new strategy: they abolished salary arbitration, centralized player negotiations with the commissioner’s office and ended an agreement not to collude on salaries, leading to the complaint by the N.L.R.B.

Sotomayor had to determine if baseball’s leaders had undermined collective bargaining by trying to abandon some of the fundamental ways in which they dealt with the players. The owners’ militancy symbolized their frustrations with player salaries, and with how frequently the union had outflanked management in negotiations and public relations.

The changes would have essentially let owners fix salaries — less than five years after an arbitrator had fined them $280 million for colluding on free-agent contracts.

Daniel Silverman, then the regional director of the N.L.R.B.’s New York office, said that even before oral arguments in the case, Sotomayor told both sides she didn’t need to hear witnesses or read any additional documents. “If she’d allowed cross-examination, the decision would have been delayed; the whole season could have been screwed up with replacement players,” he said.

He said that Sotomayor shrewdly understood that although labor law permitted each side in a negotiation to choose its representative, the competition among clubs for players’ services would have been diminished if all deals were negotiated by the commissioner’s office.

Sotomayor agreed with the N.L.R.B. that the owners could not willy-nilly institute their 1950s-style version of labor relations. If she did not issue an injunction, she wrote, “the harm to the players is the very one the owners’ unfair labor practices sought to achieve, i.e., an alteration of free-agency rights and a skewing of their worth.”

She added, “Issuing the injunction before opening day is important to ensure that the symbolic value of that day is not tainted by an unfair labor practice and the N.L.R.B.’s inability to take effective steps against its perpetuation.”

Gary R. Roberts, the dean of the law school at Indiana University, called it the “right decision from a legal and tactical standpoint,” and the one of the most important ones in baseball history, short of the Supreme Court’s antitrust rulings.

Sotomayor’s ruling restored the terms of the previous labor agreement so the season could go forward. Randy Levine, who became the owners’ chief labor negotiator five months after Sotomayor’s injunction, said her decision “gave both sides an opportunity to take a breath, to take stock of where they were.” Levine, now the Yankees’ president, added, “It led to the good-faith bargaining that produced revenue sharing, the luxury tax and interleague play.”

Sotomayor couldn’t will the owners and players to come to a quick agreement or prevent some old tensions from rising. But an agreement was finally reached more than a year later, in late November 1996. And there have been no work stoppages since.

----------------------------\

Maybe she is a pro-labor kind of Judge and Cannabis isn't on her resume'

burnt out og'er
Veteran
ANY supreme court judge should rule based strictly on the US Constitution... WITHOUT letting their own personal ideology enter into the decision.

Obviously, looking at the examples posted by stink.whistler, she is one of those judges which will bias her decisions with personal opinions instead of staying on the side of "we the people"

Yes, she will probably be confirmed.
Because the republican party is too pussy to go against a latino woman.

ps..."Real Christians" enjoy smoking, processing and/or cultivating cannabis.
It's in the Bible and Jesus himself used it's oils and extracts for medicine to heal people.

madrecinco

Veteran
ANY supreme court judge should rule based strictly on the US Constitution... WITHOUT letting their own personal ideology enter into the decision.

Obviously, looking at the examples posted by stink.whistler, she is one of those judges which will bias her decisions with personal opinions instead of staying on the side of "we the people"

ps..."Real Christians" enjoy smoking, processing and/or cultivating cannabis.
It's in the Bible and Jesus himself used it's oils and extracts for medicine to heal people.

EXACTLY!

madrecinco

Veteran
she is tough on all crime...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm we won't even go there today dear.
HGS is missing their nuts today,,,te he

private joke as Dr Smokepuma and I go WAAAYYY back......tenacious little shit yu are......but hey.....trolls gotta hang out somewhere.
HAGO Puma.......:woohoo:

madrecinco

Veteran
You know that firefighter case she decided on bothers me. EQUALITY does not mean discriminating against white firefighters. When I challenged the Affirmative Action legislation in 73 I had to take the very same mechanical aptitude test that the men did then. I passed it and no special deal was made for me. I did not even expect that...
Promotions should be the "best person" I am married to an ex firefighter who is white and I don't like her slanted decision.
But I am happy for a hispanic woman.....but IMHO she is the wrong one INDEED!

There are plenty of reasons for Democrats, Republicans, and Independents to be against this nomination, but there doesn't seem to be any traction gaining in any of the arguments against her. I don't think it has anything to do with gender or race, just general incompetence and indifference of politicians.

They spend too much time posturing, and too little time leading.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I hope as soon as she sits down to see if she is the judge, some one just stands up and yells, "NEXT!.... come on now, move it along, its time for the next interview. We'll call you, ok."

still not as bad as bush jr. trying to appoint his cleaning lady

Skip

Veteran
You ppl are missing one important point. She may be "christian" but she's really a Catholic, and that means anti-abortion, anti-gay rights, and probably anti-drugs too.

They all go together with the repressive morality of the Catholic church which as we all know has nothing but innocent saints running it. :eek:

I'd like to see her put some of those pederast priests where they belong...

soniq

based on what i've researched so far, she doesn't appear to be a good choice for our cause.

Not lookin good

tree d

I've yet to encounter a judge (or human being for that matter)that I would deem 'unbiased by personal opinion'.
All of the Judges I encountered growing up and getting in trouble for stupid shit had huge egos, bordering Megolomania. DEF: Megalomania denotes an obsession with, either in the form of irrational perceived need for, or preoccupation with one's own estimation of having and/or obtaining, grandiosity and extravagance; especially in the form of great fame and popularity, material wealth, social influence or political power.
Anymore, it seems that's the only way to climb the political ladder: Reinventing the wheel and making our forefather turn over in their graves.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You ppl are missing one important point. She may be "christian" but she's really a Catholic, and that means anti-abortion, anti-gay rights, and probably anti-drugs too.

They all go together with the repressive morality of the Catholic church which as we all know has nothing but innocent saints running it. :eek:

I was trying to avoid pointing out the catholics, but now that the cat is out of the bag....

The catholic church, and philosophy are the most hypocritical of the western religions. Catholicism has caused more problems and death across the world than any war since it's formation.

M

movingtocally

Every ambitious potential political appointee in America has to play the game for the tards-you really think a guy of Obamas intellectual ability is a Christian, for example? Course not, but he has to play the game.

I understand and agree with the general transparency of those who really are of said faith, but everybody has to play that game at base. You can't talk like an educated adult about religion in America and get elected. Let's wait and see.

M

movingtocally

Further, the cannabis fight won't be won in the courts. That's just where it is now, as the retardation of prohibition of this plant is in the stages of disassemble. It will be won as the current generation ages and presses into authority.

Her nomination will ultimately not prove meaningful in practical terms for pot growers and smokers.

hamstring

Veteran
2 cents

All Supreme Court decisions have a political spin they are humans and can be influenced by what they see and hear. We are not robots taking the emotional component out is not possible never was.

Many times we see changes in a justice when they get in there for a few years. Many things change when you have a job for life no huge weight to move up or out on your shoulders. I do not deny that the fireman issue is not right but I am hoping for the best and like that it is a Latino woman.
PEACE

funker

i would bet her position on states' rights will not be good but hopefully we won't need the supreme court to achieve our goals...

as far as that shit about not suppressing evidence i think that sucks too...

Her nomination will ultimately not prove meaningful in practical terms for pot growers and smokers.
It will if her philosophy of permitting unreasonable searches, and warrants without probable cause continues. The existing court just limited Miranda rights, having this former D.A. added to the mix does not look good.

Supreme court justices are appointed for life. I would submit that her appointment is far more important than any individual congressman, senator, or president.