What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Something wicked this way comes

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
thank you! but my crew is the best and they get all the credit for these beautiful plants. i don't really do much any more. i just drop by occasionally and bother everyone with bad jokes.

good eyes, blah! that's because you are looking at pumice. we have begun stuffing the tailpieces with hydroton and filling the rest with 100% pumice.

here in oregon we have a massive deposit near crater lake. it's used in cement entrainment and for agriculture and landscaping.

i haven't been using it before because it was available at landscape supply places and had a lot of the wrong size particle, fines, dirt, bugs, etc in it.

well i have found a local source of bagged pumice that is acceptably sized and washed somewhat.

i then tumble wash it again.

well, later on for now!

Mr Blah

Why the hydtron in the tail? Do you get roots after 9 weeks of vegging?
Get one of your workers....We need to talk to him.:laughing:

gmanwho

Veteran
post 1037. 2nd pic, now thats a main stem!! u using tanglefoot on the stem? good to see your still rocking the star x c99

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
... Hi9.. is there a tuit on this air layering.. still in the dark in FLA.
Good to see of you..

DunHav`nFun

Hope all`s been well with you and yours D9....Tell me bout Gman`s Stardawg x C99.....I was fortunate enough ta get hold of some as well and was wondering if there was a specific pheno to look for ?.....I busted all mine with 100% germ rate and they all look similar leaf width and growth structure wise.....

Definitely no cabbage leaf indica or narrow wispy sativa stretchers , so time will tell.....lookin for arthritis and insomnia relief....hope to find a keeper strong enough not to build tolerances on....anyways....

Keep growin dem Scrog trees bro....and hey.....Must be nice to do nuthin but chop with no trim and make E-juice cartridges....:moon:...
LOL.....JK.....or maybe not ?...

Guess that Star 99 made the 15% club or I know you wouldn`t keep runnin her.....right ? .....aight....nuff outta my old ass this day....Take care and keep stroking with yo mad scientist ass.....:biggrin:.....

Peace......DHF.....:ying:......

Earlmarne

Got back from a road trip this week to some very sad girls. They looked under fed and droopy.
Co2 at 1000 ppms feed at 1.6 30 seconds on every 90 min. 80 f 70rh
I am almost positive this is due to a very high perlite ratio as roots spread out big time over the week and everything was dry up top. Put timers on 30 seconds on every 10 min last night and all has perked up this morning.
Going to head to town for more turface today. Got my loghts turned down to 600 and swapped one hps for a 10k mh will swap the other tonight

Mr Blah

Got back from a road trip this week to some very sad girls. They looked under fed and droopy.
Co2 at 1000 ppms feed at 1.6 30 seconds on every 90 min. 80 f 70rh
I am almost positive this is due to a very high perlite ratio as roots spread out big time over the week and everything was dry up top. Put timers on 30 seconds on every 10 min last night and all has perked up this morning.
Going to head to town for more turface today. Got my loghts turned down to 600 and swapped one hps for a 10k mh will swap the other tonight
Weren't you doing 50/50 turface/perlite?

Earlmarne

Weren't you doing 50/50 turface/perlite?

I had a little more than half a bag for the 4.
Didnt think my ratio was that bad. When i transplanted they were sad, then i had to leave for a week. In retrospect I am pretty positive that I was too airy. Seems in the past ive been able to pull off a light mix. Not sure what else has changed. No signs of the aphids so idk really beyond the high perlite ratio and the de lights.
Threw some more turface in this afternoon and got both lights switched to 10 k. Will give em a couple hours and go check, keeping the feed on every 10 min til i get back up there. I dont want to bump up feed past 1.6 until I can see that they surely need a higher ec

Earlmarne

Already responding well.
Gunna have some leaf die off i think. They got pretty ruffed up this week.
Oddest thing. A few runs back i turned on my flo light and put some rooted clones under it and left some under my single ended hps. The clones under the flo leafes stood straight up and stacked really tight.
I went to thinking that the high k flo bulbs did this. Overall growth was also substantialy more.
So this go around i ordered the 10k solis tek bulbs. Sure as hell i got leaves that are standing up again, although i would guess under watering was also to blame. I am really excited to veg these suckers out with the 10 k and see what i can do with this new room

gmanwho

Veteran
Earlmarne not sure if you are feeding during lights off too. i felt When i started feeding lights off things became more stable. ph, an ppm seemed more consistant an less spiking. Just a thought.

Earlmarne

Earlmarne not sure if you are feeding during lights off too. i felt When i started feeding lights off things became more stable. ph, an ppm seemed more consistant an less spiking. Just a thought.

I think it may have been one of your posts that got me on the feeding light and dark.
Right now im 24/0 light though.
I appreciate the heck out of the input.
Ive got a lot to learn, dang plants kick my ass every time i think i got it figured out

good eyes, blah! that's because you are looking at pumice. we have begun stuffing the tailpieces with hydroton and filling the rest with 100% pumice.

here in oregon we have a massive deposit near crater lake. it's used in cement entrainment and for agriculture and landscaping.

i haven't been using it before because it was available at landscape supply places and had a lot of the wrong size particle, fines, dirt, bugs, etc in it.

well i have found a local source of bagged pumice that is acceptably sized and washed somewhat.

i then tumble wash it again.

well, later on for now!
sooo should we be stuffing our tailpieces with hydroton instead of chunky xlp? :tongue:

and im assuming you aren't going to recommend 100% pumice instead of turface/xlp because or those sourcing issues you mention? How is the pumice doing versus the "traditional" turface/xlp?

Last edited:

Mr Blah

sooo should we be stuffing our tailpieces with hydroton instead of chunky xlp? :tongue:

and im assuming you aren't going to recommend 100% pumice instead of turface/xlp because or those sourcing issues you mention? How is the pumice doing versus the "traditional" turface/xlp?
I still fill my tailpipe with xlargeP. The rest of the bucket gets 50/50 Turface/perlite.
I think D is saying he uses pumice cause it is cheaper where he is. To me, I am still going to use the perlite cause it is readily available where I am.

Does anyone using turface/Perlite in their PPK fully flood their plant containers each feed event?
I use to fully flood my 2-gallon bucket PPK system and got a great harvest for my first ever grow. I then switched to 3 gallon feed pans where i tried to fully flood but couldn't (even got salt build-up issues toward end of flower i think). I recently replaced my 2 gallon buckets with 3.5 gallon bucket PPKs yesterday and still can't fully flood the medium.

This whole time i thought everyone was fully flooding in PPK but I just found a post where d9 says people using turface/perlite shouldn't fully flood because the perlite will float to the top and mess up the medium mix?

I guess I simply need to pulse feed with my setup right?

Last edited:

gmanwho

Veteran
I think it may have been one of your posts that got me on the feeding light and dark.
Right now im 24/0 light though.
I appreciate the heck out of the input.
Ive got a lot to learn, dang plants kick my ass every time i think i got it figured out

I know the feeling. They often kick my ass. I just got an ass kicking the last 20 days. Stopped my biggst room , pulled all the plants an tossed the medium. Root aphids kicked my ass.

Understanding the rootzone is an art within itself. So many variables often over looked ,and still so many to learn.

Think what ive gathered , and now water during the night cycle too. With a watering your refreshing the ph, exchanging oxygen, moistening potential salt build up, and flushing thru unabsorbed nutes. Frequency to plant stage. Im sure theres something else im missing. Evaporation in the top of the medium.

Anybody remember water farms...

Mr Blah

Does anyone using turface/Perlite in their PPK fully flood their plant containers each feed event?
I use to fully flood my 2-gallon bucket PPK system and got a great harvest for my first ever grow. I then switched to 3 gallon feed pans where i tried to fully flood but couldn't (even got salt build-up issues toward end of flower i think). I recently replaced my 2 gallon buckets with 3.5 gallon bucket PPKs yesterday and still can't fully flood the medium.

This whole time i thought everyone was fully flooding in PPK but I just found a post where d9 says people using turface/perlite shouldn't fully flood because the perlite will float to the top and mess up the medium mix?

I guess I simply need to pulse feed with my setup right?
I also cover the tops of the buckets where the stems are with a piece of landscaping fabric so light doesn't help any bacteria growth.

DunHav`nFun

I know the feeling. They often kick my ass. I just got an ass kicking the last 20 days. Stopped my biggst room , pulled all the plants an tossed the medium. Root aphids kicked my ass.

Understanding the rootzone is an art within itself. So many variables often over looked ,and still so many to learn.

Think what ive gathered , and now water during the night cycle too. With a watering your refreshing the ph, exchanging oxygen, moistening potential salt build up, and flushing thru unabsorbed nutes. Frequency to plant stage. Im sure theres something else im missing.

Anybody remember water farms...
Hey Gbro......To lose a crop is blasphemy and I`m so sorry for your loss....I got taught looooooong ago about root rot protection against higher bottom container temps by the Krazy Ass Kanadian Klown Krusty to employ SM-90 @ 5ml per gal throughout the life of the grow ......Well fast forward a decade of usin the shit religiously and after switchin setups to ebb and flow buckets and then finally coco DTW for the last 7-8 yrs of HARD croppin , I got fungus gnats once.......and it was because I `d run out of SM-90 and it was back ordered ....bottom line.....

Nutrilife submitted the shit to Cali for OMRI and they denied their application for an "Organic root rot preventive as well as rootborn insect preventive" , so the only way they could advertise the product in all the hydro shops was a surfactant/wetting agent and it sat on the shelves dead and all but forgotten about except by the old heads that`ve learned the benefits long before the Cali decision.....that said....

What SM-90 does is encapsulate the larvae and eggs of ALL root born critters and they smother , but the trick is to innoculate the media with nutrient solution and SM-90 BEFORE the plants are transplanted to remove all doubt of anything growing in the rootzone......

SM-90 will not kill adults so prevention is worth a lb of cure....Older member here used SM-90 to attack root aphids and all but eradicated em but they kept comin back and it was because they reproduce so fast , so chemicals hadta be introduced to finish the job.....now.....

Waterfarms.....yeah that`s a blast from the past my old Bro Heath Robinson made famous with his modifications and bustin gpw`s with.....seems if memory serves they had a venturi tube that recirculated bottom container juice by pushing it up the tube and into the upper container....but....

When daisy chained and connected to multiple units , Heath bored out the drains and increased flow dramatically, kinda sorta the same as the undercurrent setup does......anyways.....

SM-90 FTW.....bet on it....Getchas some.....Happy Memorial Day guys and......

Peace......DHF......:ying:......

gmanwho

Veteran
Hey Gbro......To lose a crop is blasphemy and I`m so sorry for your loss....I got taught looooooong ago about root rot protection against higher bottom container temps by the Krazy Ass Kanadian Klown Krusty to employ SM-90 @ 5ml per gal throughout the life of the grow ......Well fast forward a decade of usin the shit religiously and after switchin setups to ebb and flow buckets and then finally coco DTW for the last 7-8 yrs of HARD croppin , I got fungus gnats once.......and it was because I `d run out of SM-90 and it was back ordered ....bottom line.....

Nutrilife submitted the shit to Cali for OMRI and they denied their application for an "Organic root rot preventive as well as rootborn insect preventive" , so the only way they could advertise the product in all the hydro shops was a surfactant/wetting agent and it sat on the shelves dead and all but forgotten about except by the old heads that`ve learned the benefits long before the Cali decision.....that said....

What SM-90 does is encapsulate the larvae and eggs of ALL root born critters and they smother , but the trick is to innoculate the media with nutrient solution and SM-90 BEFORE the plants are transplanted to remove all doubt of anything growing in the rootzone......

SM-90 will not kill adults so prevention is worth a lb of cure....Older member here used SM-90 to attack root aphids and all but eradicated em but they kept comin back and it was because they reproduce so fast , so chemicals hadta be introduced to finish the job.....now.....

Waterfarms.....yeah that`s a blast from the past my old Bro Heath Robinson made famous with his modifications and bustin gpw`s with.....seems if memory serves they had a venturi tube that recirculated bottom container juice by pushing it up the tube and into the upper container....but....

When daisy chained and connected to multiple units , Heath bored out the drains and increased flow dramatically, kinda sorta the same as the undercurrent setup does......anyways.....

SM-90 FTW.....bet on it....Getchas some.....Happy Memorial Day guys and......

Peace......DHF......:ying:......

Ya i remeber using sm90 to keep the knats at bay. i like an understand the idea of smothering the larvae.

I am also soon gonna try garlic oil in the root zone. Garlic barrier i believe is the prroduct name. Apparently bugs hate it. The plant absorbs it as well, an if the bug bites the leaf, or root, it tastes garlic an is detered. not sure on that just yet....

So in the mean time im taken this preventitive approach as well. i have so much medium, so i now innuculate the medium in bins weeks before use. i use pyganic contentrated pyrethine , an a bacteria called beauveria bassiana (spelling, botanigaurd). As well as myco azo an trichoderma bacterias. im also finding that adding a 1/4 part soil to the mix helps the bacteria stay alive an not get washed thru as quickly. i believe the pyrethine stays better with the soil as well.

I was at apoint when i started noticing soil like deposits in the turface perlite from the prior runs, all the dead root build up. So i was like f this, lets try an experiement, adding some soil based material in there an then reduce watering frequencies.

Then im finding because i use bacterias an make ewc teas they setup shop better with the organic material in the medium....

Less worry now at cleanup of removing all the root material. i strain through an pull the larger root mass an now dont worry about sediement cause that will now mix in. next run if material is to dense i cut it with perlite. Innoculate it an let it sit 30 days till i get next veg bucket loaded to replace the flower room coming down.

Hope that made sense

Earlmarne

Ya i remeber using sm90 to keep the knats at bay. i like an understand the idea of smothering the larvae.

I am also soon gonna try garlic oil in the root zone. Garlic barrier i believe is the prroduct name. Apparently bugs hate it. The plant absorbs it as well, an if the bug bites the leaf, or root, it tastes garlic an is detered. not sure on that just yet....

So in the mean time im taken this preventitive approach as well. i have so much medium, so i now innuculate the medium in bins weeks before use. i use pyganic contentrated pyrethine , an a bacteria called baverious bassana (spelling, botanigaurd). As well as myco azo an trichoderma bacterias. im also finding that adding a 1/4 part soil to the mix helps the bacteria stay alive an not get washed thru as quickly. i believe the pyrethine stays better with the soil as well.

I was at apoint when i started noticing soil like deposits in the turface perlite from the prior runs, all the dead root build up. So i was like f this, lets try an experiement, adding some soil based material in there an then reduce watering frequencies.

Then im finding because i use bacterias an make ewc teas they setup shop better with the organic material in the medium....

Less worry now at cleanup of removing all the root material. i strain through an pull the larger root mass an now dont worry about sediement cause that will now mix in. next run if material is to dense i cut it with perlite. Innoculate it an let it sit 30 days till i get next veg bucket loaded to replace the flower room coming down.

Hope that made sense
Interesting.
Ive recently started adding pondzyme to my rez.
One thing i miss from running coco is bi weekly ewc teas and how the girls loved them.
Ive been scared to dump my teas in this new system. I hate soil indoors.
Id love to hear more about your use of teas in the ppk when you have time.
I was buying ewc from the shop but am toying with the idea of a worm bin. I followed a ruff heisenberg recipe.
Couple handfulls of ewc, teaspoon of maxicrop, teaspoon of myco, whatever bottled enzymes on hand and a teaspoon of mollases. My fear in mollases and the pumps not playing well