What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Something is Killing my Plants Bugs? Mold?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
OK... new data.

I started a new grow a couple weeks ago. 8 seeds. 4 were my home bred and 4 were from 420Fastbuds. 2 of the 420Fastbuds seeds were ChemDog seeds that are new to me. The other 2 420Fastbuds seeds are the same Sour Diesel that started this thread.

NOW.... look at this Sour Diesel seedling.

I am starting to think it is a genetic disorder with these seeds.

All the other 7 plants in this grow are doing fine. Including one other Sour Diesel.

All the plants are less than 2 weeks old (from sprout) and have had zero nutes. Only my standard water. Tap water set in jugs for 24 hrs and then pH to 6.5.

All Happy Frog soil.

Same, same, same. :(

The first 4 shots are the overall grow. Looks OK. I just watered. The last 5 are the 420 Sour Diesel.

Why only this plant out of 8.

OK more confusing data.... On the grow that started this thread, 7 plants were my White Widow and 1 plant was the Fastbuds420 Sour Diesel.

So, if it is genetic and specific to the Sour Diesel, it is contagious and my home brew White Widow caught it. I honestly can't remember if one plant or another got it first so... more confusion. LOL Damn

I never had these issues when I grew clone only grows. LOL

Comparte Amore

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    854.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 24
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
"Why only this plant out of 8.

I never had these issues when I grew clone only grows."

In the 70s-2010s illicit Marijuana production was selectively bred by expert drug chemists, for quality, not rebottled nutrient compatability. Because the drug experts were producing the countries drugs, not hobbiests. The pharmaceutical grade era that many people claim to have been a part of but obviously weren't.

2010-today breeders have selected for Manganese tolerant strains, and loaded their mediums with Mn. Part of that conspiracy against medical grade pot that no one wants to believe is happening for the past century. So every seed that hates Mn is culled and cytosolic terpenoids are now extinct as a result. Now we can legalize.

Every good seed is culled because it doesn't work in greenhouse tomatoe formulas designed to sell pesticides, (nitrate fertilizer is an obvious scam and crime against human health) or with the recycled scraps/waste that the carbon credit movement peddles (every bottled of dumpster water you buy from Hawthorne buys them a get out of hell ticket).

Marijuana is immune to bugs and viruses. Neither have ever been on my radar. Marijuana a living breathing anti disease factory. Or at least it was decades ago. Before the pioneers retired and the posers took over. Not a single problem with cannabis is related to bugs, I don't care if they are swimming in the res and building structures in your buds. That's only a symptom.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
OK... new data.

I started a new grow a couple weeks ago. 8 seeds. 4 were my home bred and 4 were from 420Fastbuds. 2 of the 420Fastbuds seeds were ChemDog seeds that are new to me. The other 2 420Fastbuds seeds are the same Sour Diesel that started this thread.

All the other 7 plants in this grow are doing fine. Including one other Sour Diesel.

All the plants are less than 2 weeks old (from sprout) and have had zero nutes. Only my standard water. Tap water set in jugs for 24 hrs and then pH to 6.5.

All Happy Frog soil.

The first 4 shots are the overall grow. Looks OK. I just watered. The last 5 are the 420 Sour Diesel.

OK more confusing data.... On the grow that started this thread, 7 plants were my White Widow and 1 plant was the Fastbuds420 Sour Diesel.

So, if it is genetic and specific to the Sour Diesel, it is contagious and my home brew White Widow caught it. I honestly can't remember if one plant or another got it first so... more confusion. LOL Damn

Comparte Amore
Low pH.

It shows up as magnesium deficiency in this case, because mobile nutrients are locked out at low pH and it is using more magnesium right now. Magnesium is synergystic with Nitrogen, so a higher nitrogen ratio is actually in order from early to mid-flowering.

Don't pH at all, it just causes pH swings. The pH Should be taken care of in the medium with 1 tablespoon of magnesium lime per gallon and 20% worm castings (which have a pH of: 7.0). Even perlite has a pH of 7.0. That keeps the pH around 7.0.

Right now, I would just use nutrients at a pH of around 7.0, a little higher is ok too.

And if you're worried the pH is too high, the plant will tell you by locking out non-mobile nutrients, which shows at the new growing tips of the plant.

Last edited:

PadawanWarrior

OK... new data.

All Happy Frog soil.

Comparte Amore
I'd start with changing your watering habits. I'd water the whole pot evenly the first time and then focus on the outer part more than the center but still getting the soil fairly evenly moist. I'd also stop the pH down like @TanzanianMagic said. My tap water is around 7.8 and I never adjust pH. I'm doing organics in soil but even with using the FF stuff I wouldn't use pH down in FFHF.

My main guess would be watering practices. Water the whole pot and then don't mess with it until it needs watering again.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK... new data.

All Happy Frog soil.

Comparte Amore
The black stuff on the underside of the lower leaves was most probably soil from water splashing around while watering. I'm surprised nobody here saw this. Then your pots are way too big for those small plants. Finding the right dose of water for such a big pot is too hard and you should switch to smaller pots and go bigger when it's time for transplanting after the roots have filled the pot and only then. So I am positive that your problem is partial overwatering and probably partial underwatering because of those big pots.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
The black stuff on the underside of the lower leaves was most probably soil from water splashing around while watering. I'm surprised nobody here saw this. Then your pots are way too big for those small plants. Finding the right dose of water for such a big pot is too hard and you should switch to smaller pots and go bigger when it's time for transplanting after the roots have filled the pot and only then. So I am positive that your problem is partial overwatering and probably partial underwatering because of those big pots.
I am with you on both points. Once I got a decent microscope I saw that the little black spots were, indeed dirt that splashed up.

As for too big of pots... fuck yes. I always believed in stepping pots. Solo to #1 to #7 was my standard step for most grows. It encouraged root branching and, like you said, makes watering way easier.

BUTTTTTTTT.. fucking Auto's are supposed to hate transplanting and autos this an that. Autos suck. LOL

I never had to grow autos until about 3 years ago when I moved and lost my giant grow space back home. Now, I have a tent and no place for a 12/12 room so..... I run autos for now.

However, I am leaning and I have found that the autos that I have transplanted from #1's did just fine and it didn't stop or stunt growth. So.... I may change that in the future but for now, That's my explanation for why those pots are the wrong size for those plants. I do know better. Bro science got me. LOL

PadawanWarrior

I am with you on both points. Once I got a decent microscope I saw that the little black spots were, indeed dirt that splashed up.

As for too big of pots... fuck yes. I always believed in stepping pots. Solo to #1 to #7 was my standard step for most grows. It encouraged root branching and, like you said, makes watering way easier.

BUTTTTTTTT.. fucking Auto's are supposed to hate transplanting and autos this an that. Autos suck. LOL

I never had to grow autos until about 3 years ago when I moved and lost my giant grow space back home. Now, I have a tent and no place for a 12/12 room so..... I run autos for now.

However, I am leaning and I have found that the autos that I have transplanted from #1's did just fine and it didn't stop or stunt growth. So.... I may change that in the future but for now, That's my explanation for why those pots are the wrong size for those plants. I do know better. Bro science got me. LOL
If you water like I'm saying it won't matter that it's small in a big pot. I usually go straight to 15 gallons. I just focus on watering around the outside more than the center.

Porky82

Autos can be transplanted just fine.
The plant looks to have a potassium deficiency at a young age which would suggest the pH may be a little high for that plant.
I would also water the entire pot like mentioned above.

I Care

I’ll “me three” this notion to water in the plants really well.
It will cause your soil to settle in correctly and also balance your PH between all the pot. Water them heavy like you would if you were doing a flush. When they start to dry out, they will really begin to take off.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Thanks for all the input, gang. I am incorporating as much of it as possible. The plants look OK, except for that one Sour Diesel. I'll post some pics later. Maybe I should do a log.

Thanks again

aqualungs

Some of the damage looks like it is from letting the rootzone get to dry in between waterings/feedings. This will also cause an EC spike/salt build up in your medium over time and/or possibly a pH swing as well. Are you pHing your feeds and watering to 10-15% run off?

Some of the earlier pics look like thrip damage as well.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
There's another thing to take into account.

Nutrients are already acidic and pull down the pH.

As the medium dries, the nutrient concentration increases, and this also increases the acidic effect - meaning that the pH is going to be pulled down anyway.

So that is why I like to advocate for a healthy root system, and a lower EC or PPM.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Well, this is definitely happening again. Focking bummer. Something changed. Either the city water or Happy Frog. I have been doing it (basically) the same way for 50 years. I have fought pH swings and Cal-Mag issues many years ago. I had things pretty well dialed in. WTF

My water that sits in jugs was a 7.8pH. I just couldn't resist. LOL I added a few drops of pH down and took it to 7.0. Then, I flushed everything.

The #1 pots were easy. I just watered until it flushed through into the saucer. I let them absorb what they would in about 10 minutes and dumped any excess.

The #7 pots were a little tougher. If I flush them it will take weeks to dry out since it's all dirt and almost no roots, yet. But, I did flush them with a lot of water all around the outside of the plant.

So far, this one plant is the worse. It sprouts a new set of leaves and then turns edge brown.

All the others stay green and just get crispy. They get some spotting but never get brown like the one Diesel does.

Are we TOTALLY sure this isn't a contagious virus? Seems to start with this strain of diesel and spreads to the other plants.

The first pic is the 4 Fastbuds420 seeds. On the left are 2 ChemDog. On the right are 2 Sour Diesel. The diesel in the rear is the bad one. See how the one on front is doing so well? Like a totally different game.

The, 4 shots of the 4 plants.

I moved the 4, #1 pots into another tent. That's the next 4 shots.

These are doing OK but I got a crispy green leaf here and there and I'm already getting some spotting.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    880.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    847.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    750.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    743.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    847.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    866.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:

PadawanWarrior

Well, this is definitely happening again. Focking bummer. Something changed. Either the city water or Happy Frog. I have been doing it (basically) the same way for 50 years. I have fought pH swings and Cal-Mag issues many years ago. I had things pretty well dialed in. WTF

My water that sits in jugs was a 7.8pH. I just couldn't resist. LOL I added a few drops of pH down and took it to 7.0. Then, I flushed everything.

The #1 pots were easy. I just watered until it flushed through into the saucer. I let them absorb what they would in about 10 minutes and dumped any excess.

The #7 pots were a little tougher. If I flush them it will take weeks to dry out since it's all dirt and almost no roots, yet. But, I did flush them with a lot of water all around the outside of the plant.

So far, this one plant is the worse. It sprouts a new set of leaves and then turns edge brown.

All the others stay green and just get crispy. They get some spotting but never get brown like the one Diesel does.

Are we TOTALLY sure this isn't a contagious virus? Seems to start with this strain of diesel and spreads to the other plants.

The first pic is the 4 Fastbuds420 seeds. On the left are 2 ChemDog. On the right are 2 Sour Diesel. The diesel in the rear is the bad one. See how the one on front is doing so well? Like a totally different game.

The, 4 shots of the 4 plants.

I moved the 4, #1 pots into another tent. That's the next 4 shots.

These are doing OK but I got a crispy green leaf here and there and I'm already getting some spotting.
Those pots look really dry to me. Have you checked soil pH yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tynehead Tom

Ya I agree a run off test must be performed here.
also..... I would ditch the CalMag altogether and supplement with Gypsum (diamond K) at about 200ppm
I see something is antagonizing the nutrient uptake on those plants. I don't see light burn I see a root zone issue. Also... not all plants feed the same so if one out of 8 is a different strain, it may have different needs.
Bottom line though..... you need to do a run off test.
It's easy.
Mix the water to ph 7 with no nutrients. Pour 1.5 times the volume of the pot whie putting a clean container under the pot to collect the run off. Then test the runoff for both PPM/EC and PH

it's the first thing I would be doing in this situation after confirming there were no insects of concern

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Damn, I wish I had thought of measuring my runoff before I poured it out. Darn, darn.

I will do a runoff test ASAP.

I have a BlueLab combo meter that reads EC but I have never used that feature. I use the pH feature only. I think the meter has an EC5 and EC7 (whatever that means). Should I measure my tap water?

Also, I got these meters free with a purchase. I never used the pH wand but the water meter works OK. I don't use it because it seems like it would fuck up the roots sticking it in the dirt like that. However, I made an exception today.

I will do a real runoff test after dinner. As for the soil slurry test, I'll need to grab a test kit.

Thanks again

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

PadawanWarrior

Damn, I wish I had thought of measuring my runoff before I poured it out. Darn, darn.

I will do a runoff test ASAP.

I have a BlueLab combo meter that reads EC but I have never used that feature. I use the pH feature only. I think the meter has an EC5 and EC7 (whatever that means). Should I measure my tap water?

Also, I got these meters free with a purchase. I never used the pH wand but the water meter works OK. I don't use it because it seems like it would fuck up the roots sticking it in the dirt like that. However, I made an exception today.

I will do a real runoff test after dinner. As for the soil slurry test, I'll need to grab a test kit.

Thanks again
Use the Bluelab to test soil pH by doing a slurry test. Take some soil, add distilled water. Mix it around and let it sit for a bit. Then test the pH of the water. It's a better way to test it than those ridiculously unreliable 3 in 1 meters you have there.

And are those pots still that dry or have you watered them good yet?

Latest posts

Latest posts