What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Solar power far for greenhouse

Ca++

What sort of size and quantity, and do you need them through the night?

That last bit is important. Many solar fans have a battery that lasts a few hours after dark.

I would probably put in a 12v system. Battery, panels, RV fans. Perhaps PC fans if big enough. 12v blower motors are plentiful, if you want to extract or make an air curtain. The option to use an inverter with domestic fans is there, but such an install would need a bit of attention to grounding. A rod perhaps, and rcd. You don't want to be the one getting smoked.

H039d3d115a7d4e28bd497b02923d07680.jpg

Sold as camping kit, it's like $20 to your door.

Last edited:

SpaceCowboy083

Thanks for your detailed replyCa++. I’m hoping to not have to build a system around a couple fans, I’ve seen prefab solar, batt, fan kits online but I only trust reviews from grower’s. Ima have a look at that fan on the bottom. I used to run drop cords to the greenhouse to run a couple box fans on hot days. My long sides don’t vent only the short ends so two fan minimum whe. I’m running plants. It’s empty this year while I get my shit together

Ca++

It's quite a bit of power you are talking about. A 20" fan of any real merit, is going to be 30w with a DC motor. Perhaps 50w if you used an AC motor. 30w twice, 60w.. 5amp for a 12v battery. Nice 100Ah leasure battery, 24 hours. In charging terms, 10 amps for 12 hours is very conservative. That's 120w all day, but we know how the sun works, it's a peak a 500w panel might not cover. Which is a big panel.

I need to check my maths, that seems unlikely.
Damn, it went the other way. Your need 125Ah and the chances of getting 500w from a 500w panel are not great.

If cords used to reach, I would look at cords again. Though perhaps you could scale back a bit. Running both only are mid day. Non at night, if RH seems OK. Maybe get trick with temperature control, or just have one of the fans off it's own cell with no battery, so it tracks the sun.

I'm at a loss, as your location says a lot about panel output. If I put up a 500, I won't get 100 most of the time. Others expect hundreds. The diy solar forum have it all charted out.

I can cover most of this topic, but not the actual bit you want. Real life experience of these very items in question.

Ca++

Having had a little think, a car radiator fan is somewhat like a box fan. If you wanted that kind of thing.
If you really wanted something good, you can get EC fans that big, and run a $10 controller that runs it faster, as it gets hotter. Giving some power saving when it's cooler. Such a fan is at least 50 though, and really 100. Or buy locally...400 maybe

Ca++

I was talking PC fans, before we had any sense of the projects scale

This is your idea
$900 for $100 worth of kit. Just a 60w panel and a DC fan.
I guess what I said went right over your head. As that's already been aired. Though I would have to add the temperature control, and battery with at least 20 mins run time. The plants would be a lot happier. An RH control through the night, would make a battery essential.
It's nice your kit comes with all the fixings, to simplify the installation. Things like the fan grill are over $100 though. They are really having your shorts down. For something technically lacking.

If you wish to insult someone, then make sure they get a notification. Your post comes off as snidey @giroldo

Last edited: