What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soil, water, and tea questions

M

moose eater

Well, I guess -there- might be the cause to go back to a 6.6 to 6.8 ph in the mix...

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Buffer it...It takes a low pH to make it available.
It doesn't stay in the soil when it is soluble. Talk to the blue hydrangea people.
There's a lot of study out there by others besides Steve Solomon.

The hydrangea turns blue due to the acid influence. Once the pH changes, no more blue. Aluminum is still very present. Hard to get rid of.

Steve is a garden author, which I appreciate, but he realizes his weakness and asks for help when he doesn't know or understand.

h.h.

Veteran
I wish he'd write another book. The last one was mind opening.

Looking at the analysis of perlite in comparison.
Typical analysis of perlite

Not that I'd ever really recommend perlite. Honestly I hesitate to recommend water anymore.
Update on the worm bins after chores...

M

moose eater

Well... That totally reshuffles my understanding of perlite.... "Inert aeration with limited life expectancy" just got changed to "I'm not even sure what.."

<*Hangs head & feels wince of guilt for having put who-knows-how-many cu. ft. of bulk perlite into the spud field and raised veggie beds>.

Last edited:
M

moose eater

Traditionally was cautious about the limited dust from vermiculite, re. the potential asbestos hazards, and merely viewed the more present perlite dust as a nuisance. The description above makes it potentially a bit more than that.

Breathing aluminum probably isn't good, but man I hate my various respirators. My Israeli gas mask doesn't seal well to my face, due to my beard, and when I wear it, I sweat like a pig anyway... and the lenses fog up.. Oh well.

May as well go back to my 75% vermiculite and 25% perlite regiment from days of old, especially for the dryer winter months, as it doesn't necessarily seem like I've been dodging any real bullets since going strictly perlite.

Meanwhile, a member pointed me toward some zeolite deposits in Alaska, although they seem to be situated up off/near the Glenn Hwy and Sheep Mountain area, NE of Anchorage, toward Glennallen a ways; 'bout 110-120 miles from Los Anchorage (+/-). And I've yet to find any indication it's being actively mined. USGS reports I read as a result, date back to about 1972. but there's numerous up-dated references to the deposits in that area.

The same very kind member pointed me to some available agricultural zeolite on-line with supposedly free shipping to Alaska (How they manage that on bulky heavy items, I have NO clue...)

Interesting to me was that the page I was directed to uses greensand as a tag for zeolite in their search system, though I thought they were very different products from different sources... More reading will be required, I guess.

Chores call loudly.

h.h.

Veteran
Zeolite is a generic term. I didn't realize it included greensand.

All the worms are now in 100 gallon smart pots. The 20 gallons were working, except in the garage where the 100 gallon pot retains more heat.

The 20's in the basement were doing fairly well. I tell you though my love affair with gypsum is over. It does help with aggregation by bonding the finer particles to the larger ones. In the smart pot, it was leaning towards compaction. I removed the mix from the pots in clumps. Breaking open the clumps, some smelled sweet, a few were on the sour side.
My love affair with gypsum is over. More moderation.
I'm going to venture to say that while the gypsum will work as a buffer, the resulting compaction may lead to anaerobic conditions in the soil. Acidic soil with a high calcium content. Where have I heard that? SN
The 100 gallon pots will give me more surface area. I was counting on the smart pots for aeration. As the moisture was wicked out from the sides of the pot, it created further compaction.
I also added 5 pounds of pumice when I changed pots.
The 20's would have been fine had I added less gypsum and more rock. I wouldn't discourage their use from my experiences. I probably could have left them as they were, but this will be better.

Ordered more yucca extract. "Wet Betty", you may have heard of. The tea that I posted a picture of was nothing but decomposing yucca with a bit of molasses. The desert's answer to vermacompost. I'm hoping for some of the same qualities from the Wet Betty.
So far it does help with the mixing. It whips up in the mix, entrapping air. I'm not sure a bit of dish soap wouldn't do the same thing. It should also help with compaction.
Soap in lime mortar is an old trick. It increases workability and delays the set. The downside is that it weakens it considerably. It basically creates a hard foam. It's a weak bond.
While I want aggregation, I want weak bonds that the roots can access easily.
That's my thinking about shooting for a higher CEC value. An easily accessible. food pantry.

Then there's the other side of the mountain. Sill the same mountain. Biology is chemistry. I know I said that it's all physics. I lied. It's all chemistry. For now and for clarification in my simple mind, I'll call it biology. A monkey digging through his own shit is nothing more than a scientist of the disciplines. It's all the same. Just a pile of poo. Perhaps the monkey advanced from us.

If you look around some of the fertilizer companies have stepped up in their organic mixes with a decent microbe mix. The cheap stuff. One time application unless I start seeing deficiencies.
I really don't buy anything special anymore other than that and the mycorrhizae. Glomus intraradices and possibly Glomus mosseae species for mj.
I've read that the trichoderma in products like Great White competes with or even feeds off of the Glomus
The mycorrhizae I get from Amazon has 4 species in it, not telling me how much of each one specifically. It does have a high total propagule count and I use it for other stuff.
To estimate spore count, divide propegule count by 3 or 4. Doc posted some good information on the mycorrhizae thread.
ACT until it becomes redundant.
Good castings.

There's a newer product out called Mammoth P that may have promise.

M

moose eater

I've looked at pumice, and steered away for weight and cost. That hasn't kept me from routinely re-assessing my aversion. One day I'll tip that way.

Mammoth rings a bell, though I can't recall if it's from an organic outlet in Los Anchorage or from on-line/Amazon.

Great White has a following at the stores, but that may not mean much, unless there's data to back it up. I know it's more than I tend to spend on myco, though the jump from 4 oz. to 8 oz. is only about $10, making it worth the larger tub if inclined to use it.

>>>""Glomus intraradices and possibly Glomus mosseae species for mj. ""<<<

I'll search and see if these are available independently, or highlighted/emphasized as predominant in a specific mix for canna growers.

I'm on my LAST jug of AN's Aunt Engy's H-2 humic acid (no longer made/available), which had notably more stout #s than many substitutes that also tend to have add'l nutes in them.

I prefer additives that, if possible, when I add them, it adds THAT item, and not a half-dozen others with it.

I've also thought about the fairly low numbers in the folic acid AN puts out (Golden Goddess). It seems that in many of these products, we're paying for a shitload of H2O... I have a well..

I need to locate a source for both humic and fulvic acids for which I'm not buying someone else's water as the majority of contents. I have plenty of well-stored humus, (hummus as well, off and on:biggrin:), and can mix that in, in bulk loamy fashion, but I like to follow up with the addition of more in 'light' regularly-added amounts as time passes.

Re. the gypsum, etc., to include extravagances of the early 80s and powders.. "All things in moderation" :)

I found a couple of sources for zeolite; one from a mine, direct, offering more attractive pricing for the product itself, and while they don't offer free shipping, they are willing to use USPS flat-rate priority mail, and will put up to 20 lbs of pertinent/specified sized granules in a box..

The place that offers free shipping states up to 30-35 lbs of the size mesh I'd want (1/8" up to 1/4"), also in a larger flat-rate box, but for more $$ for the product. Not a lot more, per lb. but more. (*Some of their products are priced competitively, and some of their stuff is best purchased locally or in Los Anchorage).

No 'free lunches.'

So the heat generated by composting indoors was excessive for your worms, or complicated by other amendments therein? Or??

A bit colder here today, Doing a fuel oil run later today to keep things topped off, unless my circulatory system jacks me up against the wall, and screams, "Are you nuts??!!"

A bit of shopping to do still, to fill up a new tackle box for my younger boy's Christmas, and maybe a gift card from a mechanic I know and *trust*, for my older son. Santa likes loved ones to have transportation in the winter; summer too, but especially in the winter. :) Then dry out some whole wheat bread for oyster dressing to be made in a few days, and thaw a bird to receive it.

Need to blow the snow from the driveway, but the fuel oil run may take priority today..

Lunch sounds a lot more appealing, frankly... and a pre-town beer, perhaps, as well. Helps to feel more forgiving of those who don't use signals, or fail to behave as though they actually attended driver's ed.

Town trips!! A serious cause for drug use!!! :)

Last edited:

h.h.

Veteran
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/612CK9TteQL._SL1000_.jpg

100,000 propagules/lb. - 4 species endo mycorrhizae

I use this on the trees. It has a high propagule count, or a spore count of roughly 25,000/lb. How that relates to each variety individually, I can only guess. They are hard to find individually.

Worms like the soil between 60 and 70 degrees. The 20 gallon pots in the garage were getting down into the 50's. The 100 gallon pot was up to temp in the center.

I had used about 3/4 cup of gypsum per 20 gallons.
I would have been fine if I had added more rock. Had I used less amendments. Half the point in this exercise is to break down the amendments. The point was to add as many and as much of each as possible
The answer was simply adding in the missing aggregate. Had this been a peat mix, the amounts would have been fine. This was all fine material. It was the blended in cardboard that really saved me. Just amendments and manure makes a dense mix.
The 20's are good. The 100's are better. Room to move.
You gotta free me
'Cause I can't give the best
Unless I got room to move
In the basement the soil temperature in the 100 gallon pots ranges from the low 60's to the high 80's. The worms can find their sweet spot.
Everything is pH around 6.8. No more sour smells.

Hoop house hardware delivered late last night somewhere. Just not here. Built a couple last year. I should have used kite string because they flew. A little more permanent this next year involving footings and concrete.

That pumice link was a bit high priced. I paid $30 for 5 gallons through Amazon.

I'm conflicted between shipping and town trips. I like to support local business and products. The merchants all ship it in themselves. Then I can never find what I want, so I drive around excessively.
Not in a hurry going through the stores. It'll only frustrate me. I know how I can get, so I purposely give away my right of way and keep a smile. It doesn't matter.

M

moose eater

John Mayall... I can hear it now. "You gotta' give me, 'cause I can't do my best 'less I got.. room to move..." There's a blast from the past.

I was about to type that your amount of gypsum for 20-gallons seems extremely light by a peat-based standard. Lots of fine particulates can be problematic.

I found in lighter framings, that 10" and 12" homestead spikes, sunk vertically, through tightly drilled holes in the bottom plate, and into what ever aggregate serves as a base, helps to keep things straight when putting up buildings that are more transient in the wind. Preferably galvanized spikes or screws.

When I put 18 bags of concrete into the bottom of my walk-in smoker, I used pressure-treated wood in the bottom plate or two, despite not wanting contact between such things and food production. But then I screwed heavier screws into the inside edges of the plates, horizontally, leaving the screws sticking out 'bout 1-1/2", and brought the mud up over that area, burying the screws as anchors, and burying the nasty copper napthenate-treated (spelling?) wood with the concrete, as well..

Hopefully I'll never need to move that thing. It'd require a decent crane at this point!!

I have access to a Prime acct, so if it's bulky, and they haven't specifically excluded Alaska from their permissible shipping addresses for which they'll ship free, then I can score some deals. Though I also find that many things on Amazon are marked up over other sources, price-wise. Maybe for perceived convenience.

Spent over 5 hours in town last night, got my son's bulk quantity of gas for his snowmachine, knocked out nearly all of the Christmas shopping and grocery lists, other than for some Xmas Eve snack items, and a trolling rod that's compatible with down-rigger use for lunker lake trout trolling in summer, over in the Yukon Territory.

Having my youngest boy in the truck meant that any Christmas items needed to fit into a bag for concealment, and the rod didn't qualify. Maybe today. Another town trip!!!! Need to get the fuel oil still anyway, and didn't really want to haul his fuel and the fuel oil all at once.

In-town driving in winter is similar to crossing the country on a motorcycle; look ahead, ask myself what brain-dead maneuvers someone in my line of vision/horizon might perform, and silently wager with myself which one will do so. One of them will more-then-infrequently perform as expected.. Motorcycles taught me the true meaning of defensive driving. ;^>)

I need to get my main boxes cleaned out, and prepare to do plant all over again.. The de-stressing down-time is coming to a close... soon.. I hope... Try and get the mothers while they're healthy and happy, instead of "pushing the river," and creating unnecessary challenges.

Happy holidays, h.h.!!

h.h.

Veteran
I did a 2 mile long wall once. The footer took 2 yards of concrete per foot. The guys were getting it off the trucks just as fast as it would flow. The dispatcher loved me. If he had a slow day, I'd order trucks back to back just to fill his schedule. Likewise if they were busy, I'd put the crew elsewhere. I love spending other people's money.
The world works so easily when there's cooperation. The drivers knew I was keeping them busy. Whatever I needed of them was done without asking. My whole crew was that way. I couldn't pick up a shovel for exercise. Someone would grab it out of my hand. "No, let me." All I got to do was point.

Good thinking on covering the mudsill.

I figure when I do a permanent hoophouse, I'll bring it up using block.
I'll run 2 parallel walls, 12' apart, up to waist height. Then I can bend galvanized fence rail to go between them to hold the cover.

These will 4' wide bed row covers. I think I'll put a few deadmen footings in. They have to be easily moved to tend the beds.

I'd say Merry Christmas, but I think it's been trademarked. Santa's playing golf at Mar-De-Lago.
They said:
Father christmas, give us some money
Don't mess around with those silly toys.
Well beat you up if you don't hand it over
We want your bread so don't make us annoyed
Give all the toys to the little rich boys
Can we still say Happy Holidays? I feel like a victim. Can I say Merry Christmas without supporting tyranny? When did it ever become so political?
It was never about demanding my rights. It was about respecting yours. It's the season for celebrating our gifts in life. While there are many names, I call it Christmas.
Merry Christmas!

M

moose eater

>>>"" https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/612CK9TteQL._SL1000_.jpg ""<<<

The myco at this link doesn't carry a flashy product name. But it's fairly specific as to what's in it, per your earlier description. I'll run the I.D.s of the specific mycos and the manufacturer's name on amazon later today and see what comes up.

My guess would be that their labeling works as with many products. The most prevalent items present star in the first reference, and so on, in descending order of presence/concentration. If in equal presence across the board, then likely simply alphabetical listings at that point. Don't know that for sure, though.

The work crew sounds like folks working the way they ought to. Folks probably resent working for someone else a bit less when it functions like that. Less tension, more appreciation, and so forth.

At 2 yds./ft. it must've been fairly deep and wide!

I suspect there's a legitimate political side to nearly anything, depending on how close a person wants to look, and from what angle.

The thing with labels is (for me) at least partly dependent on who's tossing them about, what liberties , if any, are taken in doing so, etc.

Just like if I know someone, then I'm less apt to tense up or bristle when they put their hand on my shoulder and address me in a more personal way, than if I barely know them, or have a dislike of them already, or an existing conflict of some sort, and they do the same thing.

For persons with whom I have some degree of positive established interactions with, they can feel free to address me or the holiday however they wish. Whether Happy Honokaa, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Yule Tide Greetings, Holy Day, Happy Solstice, Kill-a-Turkey Day, or something else. Very little taken for granted in those types of exchanges.

I guess an exception to that includes, sometimes, persons in passing, sidewalk, elevator, escalator, crossing the street, etc., asking me how I'm doing, regardless of degree of familiarity; I often give them a fairly full run-down, no matter how well I know them.. Teaches them about personable inquiries!!! :biggrin:

Sometimes makes them sorry they asked. Dealing with literalists can be pure hell in the wrong moment. :biggrin:

M

moose eater

>>>""
I guess an exception to that includes, sometimes, persons in passing, sidewalk, elevator, escalator, crossing the street, etc., asking me how I'm doing, regardless of degree of familiarity; I often give them a fairly full run-down, no matter how well I know them.. Teaches them about personable inquiries!!!
biggrin.gif

Sometimes makes them sorry they asked. Dealing with literalists can be pure hell in the wrong moment.
biggrin.gif
""<<<

I thought about posting this last night/this morning early, and absence of a background on intent/cause.

The best roots found in the 'why' of this real-time satire I engage in is found in Jackson Browne's lyrics, "I guess people only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care....."

Perhaps a cynical view of humanity's intentions and capacities, but, in my experience and estimation, unfortunately more accurate than not.

Figured I should throw that in, lest I appeared to be a greater asshole than I really am.

h.h.

Veteran
[Whenever I got on a job where the superintendent had a reputation for being an ass, I would usually find that everything was perfect. It made my job easy. I preferred working for the assholes.
"Smiling faces, they don't tell the truth, smiling faces tell lies."

Raised on Wolfman Jack and soul music. XPRS Tijuana (Rosarito).

Ordered some marine biochar. Possibly high in sodium. Not sure if the manufacturing process includes leaching.
Independent reports have it high in nutrients with a bit less carbon content. Says the Na can be leached out.

That was the same myco that I order. I can't vouch for it because I can't see it in the soil and have no real way of saying. They've been selling for awhile with no complaints. That's all I can really say. I have no control for comparison.
Kelp4Less carries what appears to be the same stuff.

Last minute shopping at Wally World. Neighbor's house went up last night. Not sure of the damage. I know they have rugrats and they're all living with grandma. I envision the typical scene with the Christmas tree on fire, burnt or water soaked presents.
Good must come out of every tragedy. That's the only way we keep winning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqN483jm6JE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7_oQU2vuUQ

M

moose eater

Got carried away in celebration last night, then again first thing this morning. That, the day, preparations, and more, all legitimize my having not researched squat.

Rarely 'wake and bake' any more, but this morning seemed like the prime opportunity for a 6% tasty Matanuska Maid Milk Stout, a half doobie of Super Lemon Haze, and a couple of cups of nice warm (not hot) Italian Roast dark coffee. Felt no guilt over the decision at all, and it put a smile on the Christmas Eve Day list of "we'll get to that a bit later" stuff.

I can't stream video or music without great time investment (10" video might take 2-1/2' to down-load, and may -still- break itself up in buffering through bits and pieces the first time through). Rumor has it that there may be a utility putting in the quality of newer cable the owners of the existing infrastructure have refused to up-grade for the last 20 years.. At which point the time use in my day, the volume of readily available info and entertainment, and more, would change quickly, and I could better express my sentiments to the previous utility by changing the "Pay To The Order of" portion of my checks.

I think mycos are where invisible science meets religious faith. Go with what you know to be best in numbers, research, etc., and if lucky, see progress in the expansiveness of roots, plant health, and soil texture.. Short of that, it's a 'promised land' sort of faith affair. (*My 40x LED-illuminated magnifying glass gives me all the challenge I can handle where focusing on up-side-down images are concerned).

My preference for bosses has always been that they be calm, thorough in explanation of their expectations for a project, no bullshit allowed, available for questions, but otherwise out of the way, and trusting that employees will do what they're supposed to do... letting those go who don't. I have a hard time being around, let alone working for persons I can't respect or relate to.

The infamous Wolfman!!! One of the early pioneers to make that gravely whiskey voice salable to the masses, if not a trademark of desirability.

R&B, soul, etc. were all on the platter, along with CCR and John Fogerty's earlier philosophical explanations of life, David Bowie, the old school Marshall Tucker and Charlie Daniels Bands and the whole gamut.. Jeff Beck, Allman Bros., Robin Trower, Hot Tuna, the Airplane, and others scattered heavily about

I spent 8-1/2 months in a minimum security 'campus' for adolescents when I was 13-1/2 to 14 or so.... for the offense of 'incorrigibility,' if you can imagine that!! ;^>)

While I was from the NW Pa well-educated rural, love-bead-wearing, college campus meets cornfields, where acid head hippies mingled with acid head farmers' kids, there were young men from all over the place at that campus, including urban youth from Pittsburg and Philadelphia; many of us involved in the tail end of the same revolution, from very different launching places. Extremely different life experiences.

Isley Bros. meets Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon & Rare Bird, older Elton John, and all points between, set to the interpretive poetry and creative writing classes dissecting Nicki Giovanni's 'My House' and Harry Nielsen's 'The Point.' Yes, there are times stuck inside the camp of the enemy where unusual connections were made, that life can be pretty wholesome in memory.. Sometimes painfully educational, but wholesome in retrospect, and far enough away in time to not be as traumatic as they might..

It helped immensely that the 'teachers' they sent to the campus were often student teachers, hippie-folk from the nearby colleges and universities. (*How'd -that- get by the state??!!)

Anyway, once I get gifts removed from the shop, then I can get back to clearing and cleaning grow boxes, readying them for another go. I think this one will be Goji OG #2. Goji OG #8, maybe I can make myself do some more experimentation with the GTH#1, just to see what's up, and maybe a throw with the nearly-ancient, now using a walker to get around, SS California Indica.... The Queen, in all of her eccentric nature.

Water Question : Rain or Tap : pros&cons

Water Question : Rain or Tap : pros&cons

why,
when
and for which purpose
is suggested to use
Rain Water
rather than
Tap Dechlorinated Water ?

thx

M

moose eater

why,
when
and for which purpose
is suggested to use
Rain Water
rather than
Tap Dechlorinated Water ?

thx

Rain water can be used as a cheap and accessible (free?) alternative to RO. It tends to have a lower ph, similar to RO, other than for chemistry/particulates collected as it falls through the atmosphere, or contamination in the collection apparatus..

De-chlorinated tap water will likely have what ever mineral contents it had when it was first collected from the tap, other than for dissipating/evaporating out the chlorine. Some of the mineral content may settle out, but in pouring, you'll likely stir much of that sediment back into your H2O.

If your tap water is excessively alkaline, or has other contents that are not healthful for plants, and you're unable to run an RO system, then rain water is the next best thing.. imo.

Neither rain water or RO are apt to have the mineral content you want, but you can likely figure out what to add to bring it up to spec..

As a trivia thing, I recently read where some locations are making it a violation to collect rain water, apparently fearing that it might interfere in an already wounded/inadequate water table in those places.

M

moose eater

As opposed to the reign of acid.. A period that primarily spanned 1972 through 1985 or so, in my experience.

You up and delivering presents to a tree near you, h.h.??

All of our packages are out, but for the packages that might tempt my older son's visiting pups to pillage or plunder, due to emitting scents of goodies contained inside them..

His pups are able to access places a bit higher than some, and are still fairly young, thus I can't put chocolate, etc., out in stockings until tomorrow morning, either.

All of my immediate family are here, but for my daughter. Not sure if she'll ever be a part of our gatherings, but that's likely for the best, until she grows a bit more connected to herself, deeper than the surface of things. 'Living losses' are difficult some times, but sometimes for the best, when persons routinely bring trouble.

Otherwise, things are mellow, and a fine Christmas Eve. Crescent moon was bright as could be earlier. A fine evening, for sure.

A few puffs of some GTH#1, and I'm off to bed, to try and get up to help stuff a bird in the A.M.

Merry Christmas!

Rain water can be used as a cheap and accessible (free?) alternative to RO. It tends to have a lower ph, similar to RO, other than for chemistry/particulates collected as it falls through the atmosphere, or contamination in the collection apparatus..

De-chlorinated tap water will likely have what ever mineral contents it had when it was first collected from the tap, other than for dissipating/evaporating out the chlorine. Some of the mineral content may settle out, but in pouring, you'll likely stir much of that sediment back into your H2O.

If your tap water is excessively alkaline, or has other contents that are not healthful for plants, and you're unable to run an RO system, then rain water is the next best thing.. imo.

Neither rain water or RO are apt to have the mineral content you want, but you can likely figure out what to add to bring it up to spec..

As a trivia thing, I recently read where some locations are making it a violation to collect rain water, apparently fearing that it might interfere in an already wounded/inadequate water table in those places.

ok, thx for ur answer

:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts