What's new

Soil for Sativas

Scrappy4

Veteran
Do y'all use a different soil mixture and techniques for Sativas than you would for Indicas?

No, but you might need bigger pots for sativas as they are in them longer.

I never find those picky feeders chem guys seem to find all the time, lol. Mine all eat the same things.

Dr.King

Veteran
Do y'all use a different soil mixture and techniques for Sativas than you would for Indicas?

I don't, I stick with pure coco for indoor. However that being said I see people recommending organic soil for Sativas. All of my Sativas have turned out amazing in coco though, ranging from Oldtimer haze too Malawi and so many more. The trick to coco is to never let it get dry during flowering or your flowers(buds) will be underdeveloped at the end resulting in a lower yield. I water my coco every 3 days during flowering, my ladies are in 5 gallons. 4 plants per 5f x 5f tent scrogged.

As far as techniques go it seems to me every strain can be either grown single cola style or scrog style. I wouldn't grow plants out normally as yield will be a lot lower then if you were too single cola a bunch or scrog. Nutrients are a bit different with Sativas. Sativas you mainly want to start out with normal levels of N/P/K then slowly start to lower the Nitrogen and upping the P/K during flowering until harvest.

For instance I run Malawi which is 100% Sativa, she normally flowers in 12-14 weeks. I start normal with N/P/K till about week 3 of flowering then slowly lower it. By week 8-10 depending when I harvest I stop Nitrogen completely. Sativas hold more Nitrogen in their leaves so they will end up using the rest during the final 4 weeks. Depending on the Sativa strain she may or may not be easily burnt so testing may need to be done. Malawi by Ace seeds loves the extra P and K I give them during the final 6-8 weeks.

Sativas you also need to plan for the extra weeks of growth they go through. I use Advanced Nutrients so I adjust by adding extra weeks of my bloom enhancers. For instance my Big bud I use for a extra 2-3 weeks and Overdrive for a extra 2-3 weeks. I still flush for atleast a week but shoot for 3 straight waterings before harvest. Hope this helps you or anyone in any way.

S

Sat X RB

Indicas are more sensitive to the shadows in yr garden and may flower and then reflower due to light interuptions thus lessening dope quality. so unless you have uninterupted sunlight hours you had better plant later in the season so the plant has time to flower once only ... thus you will grow smaller plants ... thus you will need less soil than for earlier planted Sativas. but soil qualities are similar. Cheers!

PS: or put another way you can, generally speaking, plant more indica plants than sativa plants in a given area.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just flower them shorter. A sativa with good stretch gets flowered at 8-10" where as a more indica type plant gets flower between 15-18"...

But otherwise, soil stays the same.

dank.Frank

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
same soil mix for all plants. holds moisture long time, drains fast. i plant sativa in shorter wider pots and indicas in taller thinner pots. indica roots like to spread out so they can bush out, sativa's dig deep to support a really tall plant. i need to control these in my environment.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
Indicas are more sensitive to the shadows in yr garden and may flower and then reflower due to light interuptions thus lessening dope quality. so unless you have uninterupted sunlight hours you had better plant later in the season so the plant has time to flower once only ... thus you will grow smaller plants ... thus you will need less soil than for earlier planted Sativas. but soil qualities are similar. Cheers!

PS: or put another way you can, generally speaking, plant more indica plants than sativa plants in a given area.

i don't even know what that was supposed to be but it's 100% false, i wouldn't listen to this guy.

shade is hardly enough darkness to induce flowering. it has to be COMPLETELY DARK the entire 12+ hours to induce flowering.

he might be talking about preflowering which all plants eventually will do at maturity. but plants in the shade certainly don't start flowering and stop flowering which will "thus lessening your dope quality". all bullshit.

Bulldog420

Veteran
i don't even know what that was supposed to be but it's 100% false, i wouldn't listen to this guy.

shade is hardly enough darkness to induce flowering. it has to be COMPLETELY DARK the entire 12+ hours to induce flowering.

he might be talking about preflowering which all plants eventually will do at maturity. but plants in the shade certainly don't start flowering and stop flowering which will "thus lessening your dope quality". all bullshit.

Agreed. This guy knows what he is talking about.

Buddle

Veteran
the best indoor sativa growers I've seen use small containers to keep the size down and also a shorter light schedule toward the end of flowering but that's a bit off topic..I am hoping to get better at finishing sativas.its not easy indoors, I've found.

I keep my soil the same. No matter what. In organics, at least in my experience, is the plant takes what it wants and needs. Where as in chems, its forced.

I grow primarily Sativas. Because I'm lazy. I'm not interested in harvesting every 8 weeks or whatever. Every 10 to 14 is great. I wish I had something that could go 15 or 16 as that would be even better.

Dr.King

Veteran
Ehh just seems odd to use that much, watering three days apart and all. If it works it works, and to each their own :tiphat:

Sativas that grow for 12+ weeks love the exrta coco which helps with extra yield. Root ball in the end result uses nearly all 5 gallons of coco. Since I don't mix my coco with perlite or other mixes it drys out faster. Which is were the 3 days apart come in. Keep in mind this is only in flowering as the plant uses more water to feed buds. In Veg I water every 5 so the roots spread more.

I wish I had something that could go 15 or 16 as that would be even better.

Check out Ace seeds, their strains like Oldtimer haze or Double Thai go from 16-24 weeks. Really any of their Haze/Thai crosses go 16-24. Aces Bangi haze is a amazing strain and goes 14 weeks. Big yields with single cola style growing. High female ratio imo as I've had 8 out of 10 be female thus far.

sprinkl

Veteran
the best indoor sativa growers I've seen use small containers to keep the size down and also a shorter light schedule toward the end of flowering but that's a bit off topic..I am hoping to get better at finishing sativas.its not easy indoors, I've found.

Exactly, especially if we are talking very stretchy sativas, this can differ a lot. An NL/haze pheno which seems 50% sativa on paper will stretch a lot more than what some would call 75% sativa or sativa dominant hybrids, some would even call c99 a nearly pure sativa, while some indicas have better stretch.. I guess it depends how close to the equator and how worked the sativa or sativa in the cross is.
You might also want to transfer to a bigger pot when the stretch is over to deliver the nutrients, especially if you are growing organic.

Big pot type of guy here. I fight stretch by pinching the main stalk practically everywhere I can between the nodes for the first 3 or 4 weeks or until it gets to the point where it turns into tree bark and I can't physical do it any more with my girly strength fingers(which ever comes first). I've found this to be more manageable than smaller pots.

Smaller pots=More Frequent Watering. Be Lazy my friends.

Last edited:

Dr.King

Veteran
Exactly, especially if we are talking very stretchy sativas, this can differ a lot. An NL/haze pheno which seems 50% sativa on paper will stretch a lot more than what some would call 75% sativa or sativa dominant hybrids, some would even call c99 a nearly pure sativa, while some indicas have better stretch.. I guess it depends how close to the equator and how worked the sativa or sativa in the cross is.
You might also want to transfer to a bigger pot when the stretch is over to deliver the nutrients, especially if you are growing organic.

Indeed I can attest to the c99 and some Sativas not stretching as you would expect. I currently have one c99 Scrogged 2.5f x 2.5f under around 800 watts. She is just starting week 7 and has had very little stretch on most of the buds, 2-3 inches at most. While my Acapulco Gold and Malawi Gold which are both scrogged, stretched perfectly together an are the same height. I have also grown Chemdog which is nearly 100% Indica and after being scrogged stretched more than any Sativa I have ever grown indoors. This includes Malawi, Oldtimer haze, Double Thai and many other 100% Sativa/crosses. Growing outdoors will defiantly change stretch for most plants as nothing can replicate the sunlight of the sun :biggrin:.

S

Sat X RB

RIGHT OF REPLY

RIGHT OF REPLY

I have sent Stig a visitor message with my credentials and asked him to reassess his opinion of my honesty ... but so far no response from him.

so here's my credentials:

picture.php

and the proof of my story that interuptions to sunlight may cause Indica spp to flower then reveg may be seen here from post# 461 onward:

www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=212514&page=31

read the story ... open yr minds ... just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen ...

Latest posts

Latest posts