What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Social Security Disability Interview advice?

Slim Pickens

Veteran
My number #1 Son has a SS Disability Interview (by phone) coming up pretty soon. When the appointment was made we were informed that the interview would last an hour. I will be with my boy during the interview in case there may be questions that I might feel is important to ask or clarify.

Has anyone here been through the process that could share some pointers,and/or areas of concern that We should be aware of?

Thx.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
can you tell me more about your son? my oldest qualified when interviewed, but declined to take the money and run because he wants to live life with as little help as possible. my wife accompanied him to interviews, so we might be able to give you a hand. PM me if you would rather do it that way...:good:

Slim Pickens

Veteran
My Son has the same problem. He wants to earn his own way. He doesn't have a problem with his family supporting him tho. I would really like to see resolution for his situation.

or find him a rich widow. :)

I'll pm you momentarily, Thank you Sir.

Reactions: Gry

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Good luck as they make it hard. Soc Sec normally turns you down the first time through so don't give up. Protest the decision and make them reexamine the case. It took me three tries and I had a skilled attorney. I had a listed disability (listed in their reference books) and they still had a go at turning me down.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Good luck as they make it hard. Soc Sec normally turns you down the first time through so don't give up. Protest the decision and make them reexamine the case. It took me three tries and I had a skilled attorney. I had a listed disability (listed in their reference books) and they still had a go at turning me down.
I figured as much and although we don't like it,we'll have to play the game. Curious as to how a lawyer is compensated for representing a person. Must be money in it or there wouldn't be incessant ads attracting clients.
^^^ Yeah, most people get denied initially and have to appeal.
No doubt hoping to get people to give up.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
When the lawyer won the case he got a percentage of the back pay owed me case award.. I don't remember but I don't think there was a payment if he lost. The lawyer specialized in SSI cases so he was good. I had to go downtown to a hearing which was just like a criminal trial. There was a Judge Advocate there and several witnesses for the other side. It was a slam dunk for my case as the disability was written into their books so they didn't have a chance. I was a little irritated they put me through all that. LOL. Our government at work I guess.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the folks that write the denials probably get paid from the $$$ the govt keeps when folks give up on getting what they deserve. deny three or four (or thirty) every month, get a check. repeat as needed to put food in the fridge...

drosera420

Premium user
I would agree with the denials. Wife was turned down 2x and finally won with back pay through arbitration. That was over 10 years ago so was hoping it had gotten better. Document, document and then document some more. You are the only folks that care about the outcome. To others your a number and it's a big game to win or lose. In the long run you'll prevail but it's a frustrating process that takes forever.

JohnrneyGruy

Hi there. As far as I know, denials are pretty common in such situations, so you should be ready. But, don’t ever think of giving up. Once I worked with an attorney Mr. Waddington (https://ucmjdefense.com/attorneys/michael-stewart-waddington-partner.html), and he said that once you think of a loss, you’ve already lost the fight. So, I sincerely wish you good luck. I want you to accomplish everything you and your son are eager to. I know how really important it is for both of you. Best wishes. Keep us updated.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

In the US there is a law firm named "Binder & Binder" that helped people apply, about 20 years ago.

They helped a woman friend of mine whose eyes were very badly damaged by LASIK eye surgery.

Once I saw a Kurdish computer engineer apply, and get approved immediately. But there was politics involved, he helped the CIA in Iraq & then ended up on Saddam Hussein's shit list/ hit list.

He was not really disabled, but ... politics.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
It takes about a year to get an official approval for SSDI. You will get money for the time you waited for a decision, just as long as you haven't worked. At all. Between the time you applied and got approved. If you worked even 5 hours during that year they will stiff you on the back pay and you will only get your monthly SSDI.
It's actually judges that review/approve the SSDI cases. I believe they're about 50% approval rate.
The more paperwork you have from hospitals and doctors to give to social security the better.
Good luck! I mean it! 👍

St. Phatty

It helps if you show obvious signs of obvious psychological stress.

It helps even more if you're bleeding.

Scraping the skin off the top of your head, so that it's covered in scabs - that scores some serious points.

Picking at your cuticles helps too. Especially if they're bleeding during the interview.

If you can manage to get some blood on the psychiatrist that interviews you, when you shake hands, you're practically a shoo-in.

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't even know where to begin but i fought hell and high water just to receive benefits.
I signed up 7/18/2018 my application got denied, appealed to DDS (disability determination services) got denied again.
Appealed to have a hearing in front of an ALJ (Administrative Law Judge) got denied again but the ALJ made mistakes such as not reviewing my medical records in their entirety.
Got a lawyer, who appealed it to the federal court and i received a remand for another hearing. On the day of the hearing it was done over the phone due to covid. You usually have the same judge who denied you previously but I lucked out and got a more of an understanding ALJ which worked in my favor.
One month later I received my fully favorable decision. Now this whole debacle lasted 4 years, that's a long time to wait!!! But the good thing is I got over 25 thousand dollars in back pay for the wait.

Not trying to discourage anyone but it's extremely hard to get social security unless you have a clear cut medical issue. If you're between your 20's and 30's it's even harder, they don't like giving young people benefits. They look for any reason to deny you. Some ALJs have a higher rate of denials than approvals, so it's luck of the draw getting an understanding judge. My advice get a disability lawyer right from the start, and make sure you're seeing doctors for your medical issues. Medical evidence/records and RFC forms from doctors will help tremendously, the more the better.

Last edited: