What's new

SO WHO IS JORGE CERVANTES??

I made that connection between the two when I picked up the book "Gardening Indoors" (George Van Patten) at a hydro store a couple years ago . The books are identicle in almost every aspect save for George's book has no mention of Marijuana . At first I thought Jorge Cervantes plagerized his whole book . Then I looked at the ISBN #'s

Jorge Cervantes - "Indoor Marijuana Horticulture"
ISBN 1-878823-29-9

George Van Patten - "Gardening Indoors"
ISBN 1-878823-31-0

Quick edit -
Alot of growers won't even go on the internet for marijuana related sites because of paranoia, they think there being monitored like terrorists and pedos lol.

For the extra-cautious looking for a beginers grow book , pick up the George Van Patten's book I listed above , it is the same book .

What caught my eye was the lay-out of Van Patten's book when I flipped through it in the hydro store . I already had the Cervantes book at home so I decided to buy VP's book and compare the two . What led to my initial thought of plagerization on Cervantes' book was the origional publication dates of the two books . The VP book I listed above was printed before the Cervantes book .

I 1st learned from Jorge's books back when I 1st was injured and wanted to try an alternative to narcotic pain meds....I was not a recreational user before then so I knew NOTHING about growing this plant....Jorge taught me tons of info that was very helpful to the beginner....after a few years of the basics I also learned that Jorge was ages behind the rest of the growing world, his info is old info and he is contempt at keeping it that way...and I guess there is nothing wrong with that exept the fact that he is advertising to advanced growers things that are just simple not true....

I have nothing against JC at all, wish him the best of luck in his sales, I just see no recreationally or medically reason why I should smoke fan leaves....one of the many things Jorge has advised that just simply is childs play.....for young growers, I say read Jorge's books with an open mind and you will learn alot of great info....but you will also learn alot of things that is not true.....I think you could learn more from here and open grow than any JC book though.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If he ever had game, he started mailing it in years ago.

Nubes don't know any better, so they give him props. The rest of us just laugh (or cry).

C

Cookie monster

To me he's just another guy cashing in on the gravey train.

Every couple of years a new Bible is printed?

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
The Bible was the book we had when we did our first grow, i found it real useful everytime we had a problem we consulted the bible and found answers. the section where he shows the nute deficiencies of each kind helped us alot. his videos were kinda corny though, there are definately better videos to watch. i support this guy, i thought he was mostly doing his thing in spain pretty surprised to know he is kicking it in my hometown!

TheBudFather

Jorge Cervantes helped more people grow cannabis, than all of us in this thread put together.......!
He's a Marijuana Martyr!
So what if some of his info is a little incorrect....after time, you create your own methods, in all aspects of growing anyway....its just a guide....
His Bible has been a source for allot of growers i know....you cant take 1 persons view on something as 'the law' but you can definitely get a good step on the ladder of growing your own Buddddds!
So what if the 'BigBoys' laugh or cry at Jorges work.....He helped thousands upon thousands of people, create growrooms, and have successful crops....YOU DIDNT!

His Radio Interview was quality.... he seems like a true Gent!
This is what the cannabis world needs...... a reasonable voice. Not 'cash cropping arsehole' who thinks he's bad and knows more than anyone else....! The future has millions of years ahead...Someone will need to be educated to carry on the love ! George IS a help!
If George hosted a book and dvd in-conjunction with Rez and Soma, that covered all aspects of growing....it would sell FOREVER....they would all become true meccas forever...even more so than what they already are!(it would proberbly sell more than Jesus's and Jorges Bibles put together):)
Im constantly asked to go to peoples houses and set up grows (organics)....I always advise Jorges Bible! And they always fall in love with it...and they always produce nice buds...with my little tweaks!(its a big big help when your teaching somebody)
ICmag is my new weapon! ive introduced a few new hungry members here....

Infact...REDEYE introduced Jorges Bible to me, years ago now........we are GOOD oldskool smoking palls! Big Up RedEye!
Jorges Bible was not my source for learning the ins and outs of cannabis...a family member showed me the light! But i love Georges work! I see nothing but positivity!

Im stoned, sorry fellas.... and ive got nothing better to do :)

R

REDEYE_420

HERE HERE to that TheBudFather!

Everybody has there own opinion of different people, and I suppose this is what makes the world spin LOL!

I didn't know about Cannabis forums until about a year and a half ago-I would imagine there are thousands, if not millions of people that do not know about Cannabis forums either. So there only chance at Cannabis knowledge is most of the books that are on sale at the headshop (shop below the actual grow equip shop).

But hey I'm not here to say this guys better than this guy etc-I just thought it would be good for the people that do appreciate Jorges ahem Georges work to find out who he really is.

@TrichBurner I see your point now-I thought you had Spiderman vision LOL!

Peace.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Jorge Cervantes helped more people grow cannabis, than all of us in this thread put together.......!
He's a Marijuana Martyr!
So what if some of his info is a little incorrect....after time, you create your own methods, in all aspects of growing anyway....its just a guide....
His Bible has been a source for allot of growers i know....you cant take 1 persons view on something as 'the law' but you can definitely get a good step on the ladder of growing your own Buddddds!
So what if the 'BigBoys' laugh or cry at Jorges work.....He helped thousands upon thousands of people, create growrooms, and have successful crops....YOU DIDNT!

His Radio Interview was quality.... he seems like a true Gent!
This is what the cannabis world needs...... a reasonable voice. Not 'cash cropping arsehole' who thinks he's bad and knows more than anyone else....! The future has millions of years ahead...Someone will need to be educated to carry on the love ! George IS a help!
If George hosted a book and dvd in-conjunction with Rez and Soma, that covered all aspects of growing....it would sell FOREVER....they would all become true meccas forever...even more so than what they already are!(it would proberbly sell more than Jesus's and Jorges Bibles put together):)
Im constantly asked to go to peoples houses and set up grows (organics)....I always advise Jorges Bible! And they always fall in love with it...and they always produce nice buds...with my little tweaks!(its a big big help when your teaching somebody)
ICmag is my new weapon! ive introduced a few new hungry members here....

Infact...REDEYE introduced Jorges Bible to me, years ago now........we are GOOD oldskool smoking palls! Big Up RedEye!
Jorges Bible was not my source for learning the ins and outs of cannabis...a family member showed me the light! But i love Georges work! I see nothing but positivity!

Im stoned, sorry fellas.... and ive got nothing better to do :)

I was wondering when his real identity would be in open forum....

This guy is a legend, like him or hate him, he has done more for the MJ movement than 99 per cent of the members here..

I personally, have a ton of respect for Jorge..

Classic Seeds

Veteran
george cervantes book is great place to start when you are a green horn and not a green thumb yet ,he and his family are really nice people he has had a store and light manufactoring company here in oregon for ever i used to drive up to portland 20 years ago to pick his brain and he was always so down to earth and kind to everyone who ever i saw come in contact with him ,he is a true gentalmen in the old spainish tradition of me casa su casa he makes you feel as his valued guest even in the old store i have his very first book it is called how to garden indoors or maybe it was his second and it does not mention weed because in the bad old days the growers books were probable cause if some bacon slipped thru the cracks and he is only doing his best to deseminate methods that he has seen people use successfully i think he probable has saved more gardens and helped more people than anybody out there and if not he is a close second i have nothing but good to say about him and his daughter who now runs the store great people great books to exspand your basic knowledge or to gain a insite in to whats going on when your trying to do some meds thanks george aloha buddy its been years since ive been up that way keep up the good work i'll always be grateful for your time years ago you gave me

MeanBean

i had to dig out my mj files!
god damn, can t find it

all i see is that goerge book everywhere, 1100 photos...\
fs book company has alot of good stuff though, stuff you will never see in stores

Dude, i think I bought "the grow bible" at barnes and noble???

R

REDEYE_420

george cervantes book is great place to start when you are a green horn and not a green thumb yet ,he and his family are really nice people he has had a store and light manufactoring company here in oregon for ever i used to drive up to portland 20 years ago to pick his brain and he was always so down to earth and kind to everyone who ever i saw come in contact with him ,he is a true gentalmen in the old spainish tradition of me casa su casa he makes you feel as his valued guest even in the old store i have his very first book it is called how to garden indoors or maybe it was his second and it does not mention weed because in the bad old days the growers books were probable cause if some bacon slipped thru the cracks and he is only doing his best to deseminate methods that he has seen people use successfully i think he probable has saved more gardens and helped more people than anybody out there and if not he is a close second i have nothing but good to say about him and his daughter who now runs the store great people great books to exspand your basic knowledge or to gain a insite in to whats going on when your trying to do some meds thanks george aloha buddy its been years since ive been up that way keep up the good work i'll always be grateful for your time years ago you gave me

HERE HERE to that^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey your a lucky guy dude! I hope to meet him myself too one day, so I can shake his hand and thank him for the book (Chimera too).

george cervantes book is great place to start when you are a green horn and not a green thumb yet

HAHAHA I like that quote!

Peace.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Jorge Cervantes/George Van Patten is a great guy. I met him in the Greenhouse coffeeshop in Amsterdam back in '98 when I lived there. He came by my place and saved our cannabis garden, we ended up with a bountiful outdoor crop which we toked on for a couple years afterwards!

As a result of that we began working together, and I started designing his books, eventually updating the 'Bible' not once, but twice (20001 and 2005). Taking it from a black and white textbook to the full-color masterpiece it is today, it became an encyclopedia of grow information and it was an honor to participate in its publication.

The 'Bible' has gone thru many incarnations, but each time is expanded greatly and offers more and more information.

And yes, his Gardening Indoors books are almost the same as the 'Bible.'

I also worked on these publications as well:
Marijuana Indoors: Five Easy Gardens
Marijuana Outdoors: Guerrilla Growing
Jorge's Rx
Hydroponic Basics
Gardening Indoors (twice)
Marijuana Horticulture (the Bible -twice as mentioned) as well as a couple of his translated versions... Spanish and Italian.

And on top of all that George is a nice guy and a good friend...and he definitely knows how to grow the best cannabis, and will help YOU do it!

C

Carl Carlson

What a shame that George Van Patten felt compelled to change his name for the cannabis books.

Let's face it, it's not like Stephen King doing some weird shit under the Bachman name. My guess is that Van Patten did this so as not be ostracized by the publishers of his other books.

Homesmokin

Yes me too, as a beginners book it's great. Technically it wasn't my first book, I'll never remember the name of it. (The pictures were in black and white, and there was a dude standing next to a Cannabis tree-his face was squared out to protect his identity-anyone know it?

i think the book your looking for is: marijuana growers handbook, indoor/greenhouse edition by ed rosenthal :smokeit:
still got my copy :)

R

REDEYE_420

i think the book your looking for is: marijuana growers handbook, indoor/greenhoue edition by ed rosenthal :smokeit:

Nice one Homesmokin, I'll have a look for an online version to see if that's the one. It would be nice to find it again-I couldn't understand jack-shit of it when I first read it LOL-would probably be crystal clear now I've had experience.

Jorge Cervantes/George Van Patten is a great guy. I met him in the Greenhouse coffeeshop in Amsterdam back in '98 when I lived there. He came by my place and saved our cannabis garden, we ended up with a bountiful outdoor crop which we toked on for a couple years afterwards!

As a result of that we began working together, and I started designing his books, eventually updating the 'Bible' not once, but twice (20001 and 2005). Taking it from a black and white textbook to the full-color masterpiece it is today, it became an encyclopedia of grow information and it was an honor to participate in its publication.

The 'Bible' has gone thru many incarnations, but each time is expanded greatly and offers more and more information.

And on top of all that George is a nice guy and a good friend...and he definitely knows how to grow the best cannabis, and will help YOU do it!

WOW that's nice to know bro-Thank You and George for both of your contributions. I had to buy it twice, the police took my first one, I was well pissed LOL! That book circulated around my homies hard before po-po got there hands on it :whistling:

The second one I brought is 'lent' out at the moment too LOL! It's all good though, my pal doesn't have internet, so he is welcome to hold on to it.

What a shame that George Van Patten felt compelled to change his name for the cannabis books.

I know! I t really is a shame that he couldn't receive the credit he deserved all these years, well not under his real name at least. He can now though!

THANK YOU-George, Payaso, and all that contributed to the bible!

Peace.

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran

And yes, his Gardening Indoors books are almost the same as the 'Bible.'

I also worked on these publications as well:
Marijuana Indoors: Five Easy Gardens
Marijuana Outdoors: Guerrilla Growing
Jorge's Rx
Hydroponic Basics
Gardening Indoors (twice)
Marijuana Horticulture (the Bible -twice as mentioned) as well as a couple of his translated versions... Spanish and Italian.

Right on! As long as I've been at growing, I 'still' refer to Jorge's books for accurate info.

My best recollection of Jorge is having him visit my garden in Amsterdam for a photo shoot he did in 2003....and yes, I am happy to call him 'friend'. ;)

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glad my suspicions can be confirmed after all these years.
Back when I was a total beginner I went out and bought, borrowed or stole every book available on both cannabis and indoor growing. As previously mentioned the book by George is a photo copy of the book by Jorge, minus the gratuitous canna pix. It was so blatant that I figured either Jorge pulled an Arjan and copied all his source material, or Jorge and George were in fact the same person.
Hey Payaso,
next time there's a new edition in the chute for release give me a heads up. The Bible could do with some SERIOUS proof-reading and my copy is already marked up with the appropriate grammar and spelling changes.