What's new

So whats a good strain for a micro grow?

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Whats a good cheep indica strain (under $20 preferably) that will realy bush out and not grow tall and flower early? I'm wanting to do a indoor grow during summer while I tend to my plants outside.

sugabear_II

Veteran
deft,

well for under $20 you are pretty much limited.

what I would keep in mind for micro growing is try to get a low odor strain. I'm assuming that you will want to sepnd very on your micro grow so good fans and professional carbon filters are probably out of the question. As such I would avoid anything that smells strongly.

I'd look for an Northern lights type strain. I'm a big fan of Joey Weed's NL x C99 but that will run you $45 so I guesss it's out of the question.

Maybe arora indica from nirvina?

Last edited:

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Nirvana... ide go with White Rhino : ) heard good things...

I grew out afew of Nirvanas strains (papaya, master kush, ak, bubblicious), all were nice, none hermied.

kingspade

i'm doing a microgrow now with nirvana, one white rhino, one ice, and one misty ... i took them from clone and put them right into 12/12 flower, i lst the w.r. and ice, not the misty, their all about 12-15" high and don't seem to be gettin' any higher...i think just about any strain if you put right into flower and keep the lights close, shouldn't get that tall...

Deft

Veteran
I may just take one of my indica phenos from my 007 seeds and do it inside.

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
I have grown White Rhino, although they seemed to want to be more tall and lanky. I did great with Apollo 11 and right now I have some OPT. It is crossed with low rider and it is short and very bushy.

Deft

Veteran
I think I may just start two of my sargathama MMM and see how it goes. Anyone know if the three strains are indoor?

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
Deft, I would strongly encourage you to consider forking out the "big bucks" to get something decent. If you find a female you like you can keep a mother plant and grow the cuttings for years. I mean whats $50 bucks extra to get something special, its like 6 grams worth of bud, its nothing at the end of the day.

After my experienec with 007, I would never grow a "mystery mix" type of strain, just not worth the time and effort. Go with something which you know is going to work for you.

Dont waste your time with LR, yes its small, but with the proper training you can get a MUCH better result with a short indica than with a ruderalis (roadside weed) variety.

I would recommend Sensi Star from Paradise seeds. Its short, not stretchy, very potent, great yield, great smell. perfect for a micro scrog. oh, and use a 250w HPS, to get the maximum potential from your investment, I wouldnt go with a smaller light than that personally. At 4 square feet, this gives you 62.5 watts per square foot.

And dont worry too much about smell, a small grow like that does not produce a lot of smell. A small C.D. ozone generator might be the best option to remove smell if its an issue, or a small home made carbon filter.

Last edited:

muddy waters

smell most definitely can be an issue with a micro-grow. especially since most people doing a microgrow are in dense, urban environments, where people live in close proximity or share common spaces.

i am currently having a bitch of a time with my 4w ionizer which i have placed right above my exhaust. it says that it should be placed at least 7-8 feet high in the room. i didn't have anywhere in the living room that high except in a far corner, and placed there the coverage was next to nil. even now with the ionizer more effectively positioned the 3 small flowering plants i have leave the living room permanently pungent. if you didn't know any better you'd think there was a pack of weasels living somewhere under the floor--it smells just like the weasel cages at the zoo, sorta musky.

so my advice is to pick a good low odor strain, NL being the traditional option, but actually i've grown sensi skunk under similar conditions and it had a decently low smell radius. reeferman had a strain called 'G' that was specifically for small setups and low smell. i think there are some beans in nirvana's catalogue that would get the job done--blue mystic didn't have a very noticeable smell.

if you have the money to invest, go with the carbon filter/expensive fan option and then you can probably grow whatever the hell you want.

J

James-Bong

bartender187 said:
Nirvana... ide go with White Rhino : ) heard good things...

I grew out afew of Nirvanas strains (papaya, master kush, ak, bubblicious), all were nice, none hermied.

Ill 2nd the White Rhino...

i am just at the end of my current grow... the strain is Speed Queen from Mandala Seeds...

i gave them 4 weeks veg time so they got quite large... but i recon if they were put into 12/12 either straight away, or after 1 week of veg then they would stay really compact so long as u have enough lights of course...

i dont really think any pure sativas would be any good for micro grows... i know some growers who have grown strains like nevilles haze and put them straight onto 12/12 from seed and the plants still reached a height of 3.5ft!!

most indicas i reckon would be good for microgrows though... they stay fairly compact, and tend to bush out instead...

i not long finished a lowryder grow... now these are perfect for this growing method... really fast as well...

im smoking the LR weed as we speak... all in all im quite impressed with it... it has quite a nice flavour to it IMO... the only thing i see wrong with LR is that the buds are really light and airy... though they are still really nice to smoke...

Last edited: