What's new

SO HOW DO I CREATE A NEW STRAIN?

R

REDEYE_420

How do I make a new strain? Is it best to go to countries like India, Thailand, mexico and so on, and collect land-race seeds? Then once I have that seed enter into a breeding program with them? Would I find all the phenotypes (various smells, yields, heights, colours etc etc) I need within them seeds given that I had the space to propagate them? Would I find something SPECIAL by crossing them, then when you've found that SPECIAL plant you just have to stabilise it to an IBL and it's ready to market and sell?
Can you order reliable land-race seeds on-line? If so do you have a link?

OK SO RIPPING OFF:

A-Buying beans from company A and selfing the plant A and selling the beans as 'ORIGINAL A'

B-Using company A's-plant A and crossing that with company B's-plant B and calling it plant AB which would be a unreliable product, therefore causing negative publicity and loss of profit.

So I understand that it is wrong to steal other peoples work and call it your own, but what if company A's-plant A has the purple phenotype or a lemon taste phenotype that you would like to add to your land-race breeding program, is this ripping off too?

I would love to get into the whole breeding scene but there is still a lot I need to learn before I start. I am going to do some practise projects as soon as I am in a new property with a few different sets of seeds I have, sort of a 'learn as you go' situation.

So if any one could help on this matter it would be greatly appreciated-it would be interesting to get some breeder input on this topic if they get chance to browse this thread.

Peace. REDEYE

love?

The Real Seed Company sells many landraces. Check out also the GN collection at Seedboutique there might be some landraces there too. Some breeders who mainly do hybrids might have a few landraces for sale as well like China Yunnan from ACE or Mekong Haze from Delta-9.

About the actual breeding...

Well, you need to figure out what you want to accomplish. Then look for plants that you think will get you there (that have some of the traits you are after or whatever). Then it's time for sex. Yay breeding.

B

Bazarocka

This could take some time: First I have to say, you MUST master the art of Cultivation. Then and ONLY then can you progress to Breeder status so as to understand the principles behind the breeding of cannabis you also need to be familiar with some basic terms related to genetics. "Genotype" is the genetic and chromosomal make-up of any given individual ? it is the genetic code. "Phenotype" is the expression of body type, structure, and appearance of individuals; it results from the interaction between genotype and environment.
Specific environmental conditions are often required for certain phenotypic expressions from a given genotype. If the available nutrients, hours of sunlight, or other conditions are not available then the development of the plant will be altered. These conditions are referred to as "environmental triggers."

Two individuals with the same genotype can have greatly different phenotypes if grown in different environments........

Ok Im out of breath-----Experience, Experiment, Think out of the box, trial and error. Theres plenty of INfo in the Breeders Forum... Good Luck..

nnep

Breeding is a matter of through many generations stablizing and selecting favorable traits. A lot of new school breeders are simply working with strains and cuts that are available from other people, refining them and perfecting them. Others go about it the way you mentioned, finding landrace strains and working from there.

It takes a lot of time and patience to develope a good, stable strain. good luck!

R

REDEYE_420

The Real Seed Company sells many landraces. Check out also the GN collection at Seedboutique there .............

Cheers for that Love? I'll have a look at them beans and companies you mentioned. I guess what I want to accomplish is to create a indica and indica/sativa strain that's tasty, yields good, basically a strain that ticks all the right boxes....

Ok Im out of breath-----Experience, Experiment, Think out of the box, trial and error. Theres plenty of INfo in the Breeders Forum... Good Luck..

Hi Bazarocka cheers for the feedback dude. I have a few books to read and re-read, they are :
Marijuana Botany-Robert C Clarke
The In/Outdoor Grow Bible-Jorge Cervantes/Chimera
The Bio-Technology Of Cannabis Sativa-Sam R Zwenger
The Breeders Bible-Greg Green
I'll have to give these a good read.
So Bazarocka if I was to bring a Indica strain back from India and I didn't give it the same conditions it recieved there then I could lock out a particular pheno ie purple pheno?

-Genotype+hot enviroment=purple pheno
-Genotype+Cold enviro=no purple pheno (maybe)

Breeding is a matter of through many generations stablizing and selecting favorable traits. A lot of new school breeders are simply working with strains and cuts that are available from other people, refining them and perfecting them. Others go about it the way you mentioned, finding landrace strains and working from there.

It takes a lot of time and patience to develope a good, stable strain. good luck!

Cheers for the reply nnep! So is what the new school breeders are doing wrong? Aren't they stealing work? If they are using other breeders seeds then wouldn't that narrow down the available genetics if using IBL's as they've been bred true for certain traits?

I know that I'm not going to come up with a strain overnight and I am prepared to put in the hard work. I can't wait to get started! Still need to learn a heap more-I need to learn Spanish on top of all the breeding infomation too :biggrin:

If I have been naive in anyway feel free to point this out to me.

Peace. REDEYE

R

REDEYE_420

Do like SamS. Grow 10.000 of each (male/female) to do a good selection and find some nice specimens.

That's a big 10-4 joaquin :biggrin:

Can I use your backyard :biggrin:

So is that 10,000 of each male/female land-race genetics your suggesting or any genetics-just make sure I grow out a huge selection is your main point though yes?

Peace.

nnep

Cheers for the reply nnep! So is what the new school breeders are doing wrong? Aren't they stealing work? If they are using other breeders seeds then wouldn't that narrow down the available genetics if using IBL's as they've been bred true for certain traits?

I know that I'm not going to come up with a strain overnight and I am prepared to put in the hard work. I can't wait to get started! Still need to learn a heap more-I need to learn Spanish on top of all the breeding infomation too :biggrin:

If I have been naive in anyway feel free to point this out to me.

Peace. REDEYE

I suppose you could say some breeders feel that the cannabis world is an evolving project, and others feel that it's a way to make money. I hate to be so black and white, but that's the best way i can describe it, as any other business. Those that want to advance the industry and those who want to profit.

Ultimately nobody can really control their genetics once they're released, there are no cannabis copyrighting that i am aware of ;). So basically what i'm trying to say, is that if get's into the public's hands, it'll be further worked with and refined no matter how the breeder feels about it, some embrace it, some don't.

As for narrowing the genepool, i'm no expert breeder, so i won't be able to touch on that, sorry.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
There are a few ways to skin a cat so to speak. There are breeders who have the dedication, time, room and ability to start from scratch and develop their own strains within a few years.

Others have random luck, pollen chuck, random hermie pollinated this or that and BOOM elite clones and breeding stock can sometimes be found. A ton of my favorite strains usually come from backgrounds of "known mom x unknown dad" or s1 of this or that crossed with a "hybrid". Then they breed those traits out for a generation or 3 depending on the stability and STILL end up with too many variations that people like us try and call "phenos".

One type breeds for true breeding and others talk about "many keepers can be found" as though diversity within a strain is supposed to be a good thing versus a train breeding true for whatever that specific strain is supposed to.

I rambled, it must have been the hash.

Megas

I might be the only one who thinks this but. A land race strain sure you can get strains or strains straight from their country of origin but woop de do. It might be nice ditch weed really. I don't believe in just going like hey lets get NL and breed it with kush but if you have a starting point that already has potential to work with then I don't see a problem in working with it and stabilizing a pheno and going from there.

supermanlives

Veteran
fuck em. make your strain. who cares as long as its good. if you sell it i want an IC member discount LOL.you could count on your hands the small amount of breeders that start from scratch. most are just chucking pollen from someone elses stuff.

Z

Zoolander

I took the Grape Romulan clone and used Reefermans C99 male and though not a new strain I think you gonna hear some big happy words from all over the place as this first #2 pheno spreads around .

Z

Zoolander

I have a friend in Frisco that should take it that way in the next month or so . I was gonna make some cuts to give to a few clinics but last time I did that they sold them instead of give them away like I asked

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah, harborside did that with a few cuts that were supposed to be left for me a while back.
i'll be waiting and a' hoping....

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not all landraces are ditchweed U can choose to Imitate or U can Innovate...or somewhere in-between \/ its up to U Redeye420...

This girl was a TranSkAGE she's half a strain called TranskeiLimeGreens collected in Africa and half SAGE a well known commercial strain by Adam at TH seeds.
She is a very original lady and wouldn't be nearly as special if I had used 2 comm strains that everyone knows already....also the TLG was already more homogenous in p1 generation than most modern poly-hybrids so easier to stabilise for preferred traits quicker....Stabilising a polyhybrid can be more work than a landrace...just depends really!
Good Luck JBo ;] :tumbleweed:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^Fab Post Londinium:)

i agree,,,,from what i have read, Landrace are DEFO way way more homogeneous than a poly or di-hybrid,,,,,,,,it seems to me,that stabilizing a poly is a whole other ballgame compared to stabilizing a Landrace:)

Having specific goals in any project is very impotant!!!,,,,,,i personly like the idea of "Multi-objective optimization",,,,,but its not like we live in a perfect world:),,,,,,,,sometimes just achiving a perfect F1 seems like an admirable goal

R

REDEYE_420

I suppose you could say some breeders feel that the cannabis world is an evolving project, and others feel that it's a way to make money.

Hi nnep, while I obviously want to make money I don't want to do by losing any integrity. I hope to contribute to the Cannabis community.
Thanks for the positive feedback dude :biggrin:

There are a few ways to skin a cat so to speak. There are breeders who have the dedication, time, room and ability to start from scratch and develop their own strains within a few years.
Others have random luck, pollen chuck, random hermie pollinated this or that and BOOM elite clones and breeding stock can sometimes be found. I rambled, it must have been the hash.

Hi Medmaker420, hey man the hash must be good because the 'ramble' made perfect sense. I think ill be doing a little bit of pollen chucking to start, just to get to grips with documenting, feeding, seed collection, seed storing etc. When I am up to date with all my methods and have raised enough money-then I'll start the real project.

I might be the only one who thinks this but. A land race strain sure you can get strains or strains straight from their country of origin but woop de do. It might be nice ditch weed really. I don't believe in just going like hey lets get NL and breed it with kush but if you have a starting point that already has potential to work with then I don't see a problem in working with it and stabilizing a pheno and going from there.

Hi Megas, would you not find more stable genetics from land-race seeds and less stable in a companies F1 seeds?
Also you mentioned that it might be nice ditch weed if I sourced the seeds from say India for instance, but aren't some of the best seeds you get on the market made from these host countries anyway?
For example Black Widow=Brazilian Sativa x South Indian Hybrid.

fuck em. make your strain. who cares as long as its good. if you sell it i want an IC member discount LOL.you could count on your hands the small amount of breeders that start from scratch. most are just chucking pollen from someone elses stuff.

Dont worry supermanlives, when I do some of my trial crosses I'll send in some freebies to Gypsy to dish out.

Mental note: supermanlives discount :biggrin:

I took the Grape Romulan clone and used Reefermans C99 male and though not a new strain I think you gonna hear some big happy words from all over the place as this first #2 pheno spreads around .

Hi Zoolander, Mmmmm this sounds nice! You got any spare beans? :whistling:
Do you have any pictures Zoolander? Hey what do you mean by "...this first #2 pheno"?

Not all landraces are ditchweed U can choose to Imitate or U can Innovate...or somewhere in-between \/ its up to U Redeye420...

This girl was a TranSkAGE she's half a strain called TranskeiLimeGreens collected in Africa and half SAGE a well known commercial strain by Adam at TH seeds.
She is a very original lady and wouldn't be nearly as special if I had used 2 comm strains that everyone knows already....also the TLG was already more homogenous in p1 generation than most modern poly-hybrids so easier to stabilise for preferred traits quicker....Stabilising a polyhybrid can be more work than a landrace...just depends really!
Good Luck JBo ;] :tumbleweed:

Hi Londinium, positive words bro! That lady in the picture looks gorgeous. So using the land-race for the dad/mom would help stabilise the end product faster than using two comm strains? Thanks for your input! :biggrin:

Thanks all :huggy:

Maijah

a friend of mine has been workin with a strain he claims is his for a few years now, he calls it SHIRE, it is some of the best stuff ive smoked, but he wont let any of it go..WTF!

R

REDEYE_420

from what i have read, Landrace are DEFO way way more homogeneous than a poly or di-hybrid,it seems to me,that stabilizing a poly is a whole other ballgame compared to stabilizing a Landrace:)

So are there more genotypes in poly/di-hybrids than there are in land-race? Is that why it's easier to stabilise?

a friend of mine has been workin with a strain he claims is his for a few years now, he calls it SHIRE, it is some of the best stuff ive smoked, but he wont let any of it go..WTF!

:biggrin: Wont he even give you a cutting? ask him nicely :huggg:

Peace.

Latest posts

Latest posts