What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snype's RDWC Construction Tutorial For 250 Watts - 7,600 Watts!

Snype

Veteran
Thanks for the quick reply.

4. I used the thread search and couldnt anything with the term "air stone". What type do you use?

8. I notice your system doesnt have a chiller, have you had issues with dissolved oxygen from the pump heating up the water?

Instead of using the search function. Read this whole thread and also read my other RDWC thread and you will find your answers. Here is the air stones that I use:

Elemental O2 Cylinder Stone, 4" - Available at www.wormsway.com

Last edited:

Apollo11

Instead of using the search function. Read this whole thread and also read my other RDWC thread and you will find your answers. Here is the air stones that I use:

Elemental O2 Cylinder Stone, 4" - Available at www.wormsway.com

I actually did read this entire thread but I guess I must have missed it. Either way, thanks for saving me the trouble and posting it here.

Snype

Veteran
Doneit convinced me to change the 12 bucket system to 10 buckets instead. Im currently testing this with plants as we speak and its looking much better. For those who want to go this route, the in-line manifold 1.5" PVC should be cut to a length of 8". I will update the thread after the test is complete.

Snype

Veteran
For those growers who want to build the new 10 bucket system for 2,000 watts, on top of the new demensions of 8" on the 1.5" PVC pipe, your water pumps will need to be changed to a:

Danner Supreme Classic Model 5

And your air pump can be changed to:

Alita AL-60

This means that the price of the 2,000 Watt system just went down to under $400! Pretty amazing.

To those who need washers, you may need to hold tight for a few weeks while I find a new store to put them.

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
Doneit convinced me to change the 12 bucket system to 10 buckets instead. Im currently testing this with plants as we speak and its looking much better. For those who want to go this route, the in-line manifold 1.5" PVC should be cut to a length of 8". I will update the thread after the test is complete.
I still like your 6-12 bucket system for vegging from seed up to 9 weeks. Then into flower a 6 bucket system. It seems to get decent sized plants they each seem to want a good 400-600 watts. But your correct I can see where 10 would perform better than 12, depends on how long you veg what each plant optimally wants. Less is more in this case.

Last edited:

Apollo11

To those who need washers, you may need to hold tight for a few weeks while I find a new store to put them.

Please let us know when you have that sorted out, was wondering why my emails werent getting a response from your previous store.

Hi Snype,

I was reading over your thread and there are a few things im foggy about.

1. When and why would I want to use the red shut off valves?

2. The blue lines I drew, is this how the water flows in the system?

3. I see you only use coated tomato cages, is this because the other ones rust?

4. Do you use air stones?

5. With the air pump and the waterfall in the epicenter bucket, would you say this system is loud?

6. How many sites would you recommend for a 600w?

7. How long do you think the plants could survive if a power outage were to occur?

Great thread you have, very detailed and informative!

View Image

View Image

whats the biggest advantage here .. theres a adventagous lesson here .. its the pump being out of the rez makin heat .. water keeped as close to 68-70 is a key factor to running recirc .. if not a rez chiller will have to be on that system mostley due to heat from not enought rez capacity .. each bucket just by volume picks up alot of heat before it gets back to the rez .. pvc in my eyes is bad juju .. move a bucket and inch and they tend to leak but to each his own .. but the basic system u are outlining is solid for growing treez .. and clogging up lines .. good stuff brother .. :plant grow::good:

ss ..

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
Snype, what system would you recommend for a 6KW setup in a 12 x 12 area? Great thread BTW, thanks for the info.

Snype

Veteran
Snype, what system would you recommend for a 6KW setup in a 12 x 12 area? Great thread BTW, thanks for the info.

I would build 3 x 10 Bucket Systems for 6,000 watts. For water pumps I would use 3 x Danner Model 5 and for air pumps I would use 3 x Alita AL60.

B

BrnCow

I saw another build that was using plastic electrical connectors...worked real well...

mjkelly93

I just built 4 12 bucket systems. Directions were pretty easy to follow. The part list thats on the one page of this thread is perfect. I really didn't need anything else.

I didnt connect the buckets the exact same way you suggested though. I went with 1.5" male conduit connectors and 1.5" conduit nuts. Saved a boatload of money and it worked great. I found cases of these conduit connectors to be considerably less than cases of identical plumbing PVC connectors. And then the nuts were practically free.

I also used 1 7/8" rubber washers that were 3/16" in diameter. These were tough to track down but i found a company called reliant rubber that would make custom any amount of washers at pretty much any size for cheap. I think they were about .20 a washer. I bought 250 for like 50 bucks.

I didn't go with the Alita pumps to save money as well. They're kinda pricy compared to some other kinds. I went with Eco Plus 280 for 24 buckets. Then i put two 12 spigot air dividers on each one. Its a big pump and its kinda loud. But, i haven't attempted to quiet it yet so the verdict is still out on exactly how loud it is. But these things are really cheap compared to alita. I found my pumps off a company called eastwest hydro for like 85 bucks a pump. And thats for two 12 bucket systems. Everywhere else had them for like $125-$150 but that one site had em 50 bucks less. ???

Also had a hard time finding 4" air discs but i did some research and found that cylinder air stones would work good for a 5 gallon bucket so i went with them and saved some loot there too.

Other than those minor changes, my system is identical to Snypes and i havent gotten started just yet but it looks great. Had some minor leaks in a few systems but i just tightened up the nuts more with some channel locks and the leaks stopped.

paperchaser825

K, first off, I want to explicitly state this is unintended as a threadjack....again.....

After a little more research I think I may have found another cool trick for using all this info on this thread.

WARNING: THIS IS NOT TO BE USED WITH ROUND BUCKETS!!!!!

I found a 1-1/2" washer at lowes for like 2 bucks. ITEM #198562.

If you go and get yourself an electrical fitting "1-1/2" female adapter" and a "1-1/2 male adapter", along with this rubber washer I found....hook it all up to flat surface containers.....example: roughtotes or any tote you are comfortable with that is durable and has flat surfaces....BINGOBANGOBONGO.....the connection costs all of like 5 bucks for basically a bulkhead pvc connection. Im high....and I just got my wisdom teeth pulled a couple days ago so if any of this doesn't make sense, BLAME THE TEETH!!!

Again, thank you Snype for putting us all onto this.

paperchaser825

On a side note....if you can source containers that are flat AND ALSO are made of the same durable material as the Lowe's buckets.....Example: Square buckets....you are really in the money then.

paperchaser825

The bucket is so far not leaking with an 90 attached and almost a full bucket worth of water in it. Wanted to make a note of this so I don't forget... At Lowe's there is another washer that is similar is price and design to the 1-1/2" one that I listed above. It fit much more snug than the 1-1/2" one. I can't imagine needing a smaller washer than the one that I listed, but like I said, just making a note in case the bucket does end up leaking....which is doubtful that it will at this point. A few other notes I wanted to make...when looking in the plumbing section of Lowe's, I found that my pieces didn't fit as I would have liked. The female and male pieces from the electrical pvc section on the other hand fit snuggly to the point that I would tighten the two pieces together and there was no gap between the pieces. I could not replicate this in the plumbing section. I did however find the washers in the plumbing section. Though the washers ARE a couple of bucks a piece (I would imagine this is a bit higher than some are used to paying for washers IDK) there are locally available @ Lowe's and from my experience, if they are available at Lowe's, they are also available @ Home Depot. Hope this helps those of you out there trying to source the washers.

DISCLAIMER: I'm still testing this stuff, so don't yell at either me or the brobro Snype if your shit floods. This is just me trying to do some testing and maybe helps others out in the process.

ON A SIDE NOTE: Going to try and snap some pics up to help everyone get an idea, though I think everyone's going to be on the same page, of what I'm trying to get done here. Also, I'm hoping for some input by you guys to make sure I'm not fucking up and/or leading others astray. Thanks for your time.

Last edited: