What's new

Snow High Seeds' Double Acapulco Gold

Hempy McNoodle

Any Christmas updates?!

Greetings All! :tiphat:

Hi Bob, it is all cured up and I've been enjoying it quite a lot! A proper smoke report with bud pics is due for sure and at the top of my 'to do' list. I've been busy lately with lots of little things. A full report is coming very soon. I'll give a little bit of info right now tho. Out of the 3 females I got 11oz. 2 of them were 2.5 oz each and the big "Gold" plant was 6.5oz. Sorry to keep people waiting ( I know how well loved these old Mexican sativas are). But, a nice juicy update is incoming soon!

Cheers!

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Sounds a whole lot better than the Bodhi AG I grew a couple of years ago. Crazy long flowering jungle vines but no flavor, sparse trichomes and very mild high.

Hempy McNoodle

Greetings All and Happy New Year 2022!

It is time for the long-awaited smoke report for this Double Acapulco Gold. I'm gonna start with just a little appetizer. I have a few final pics on my old broken computer. So, let me start with those and then I will upload a few recent bud shots onto my new computer (bear with me).

So, these are some pics of the gold pheno after drying but before going into the jar...

Click image for larger version  Name:	005.JPG Views:	0 Size:	117.5 KB ID:	18033509
Click image for larger version  Name:	007.JPG Views:	0 Size:	188.4 KB ID:	18033510

These buds are the individual buds that made up the top colas that ended up growing in low light above the lights. They still turned out great smoke!

Click image for larger version  Name:	009.JPG Views:	0 Size:	119.9 KB ID:	18033511
Click image for larger version  Name:	016.JPG Views:	0 Size:	230.6 KB ID:	18033512
Click image for larger version  Name:	019.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.4 KB ID:	18033513

Hempy McNoodle

First, I'll start with the 'Big Gold' plant (my favorite). She yielded approximately 6.5 ounces of featherlight fluffy flowers that strongly resemble dried sphagnum moss. The flowers are not very trichome heavy, in fact you can hardly notice anything like trichomes on the bud. It smells like black tea. The flavors are very subtle, but diverse and I taste different things almost every time, but the main flavor is a rubbery latex flavor that is unusual and nice. This stuff reminds me of a lot of what I was smoking in the late 90s when I first started smoking. Many people say that real authentic Mexican weed was not being imported during that time, but I disagree. I lived in a primarily Mexican neighborhood and the kids I'd get it from usually got it from their brother or uncle and in at least one case I was told that the kids uncle brought it from Mexico in an empty gas tank. The smoke is great and really brings me back to those days. There are some unpleasant bitter wood flavors occasionally that old time smokers have learned to enjoy, but I think anyone who started smoking after the 2000s would absolutely not enjoy this stuff. The high is great and feels very healthful. It is a light and pleasant high. I feel like it is somewhat helpful for my headaches at times. It is a pretty well balanced high. The first few times smoking this one was better than continued smoking and initially the high was very cerebral and lead to amazing trips down memory lane and I recalled vivid memories that I had all but long forgotten. I played the best guitar ever!
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC03179.JPG Views:	10 Size:	96.7 KB ID:	18033592

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC03179.JPG Views:	10 Size:	96.7 KB ID:	18033592

Hempy McNoodle

Next, is pheno #2 the one that had a very large colas that was shaped and sized like a human leg. I had been referring to it as the missile or rocket pheno. This plant has avery refreshing smell and smoke. The smell is mostly a cross between lime and pine. It is incredibly effervescent to sniff or smoke. The smoke is very light and cool on the lungs. The high was initially very mood lifting. Powerfully elevating and very clear and not stony at all. Just a very powerful happy feeling. This has given way, with constant use to a more disphoric feeling and anxiety. So, this one is better in occassional moderation, I think. I smoke all day every day...
This one yielded 2.25 ounces.

This plant had larger dark grey seeds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC03173.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	18033595
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC03180.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.5 KB ID:	18033596

Hempy McNoodle

Pheno #3 was the one that I called 'Medusa' because of the viney and bushy top "colas." She was the most potent and resinous of the three and she yielded 2.25 ounces. She has a light florally smell that is hard to pin down, like a nice light, floral, slightly lemony scent. She burns slowly (maybe my fault) and does not make for very good joints at least not yet, maybe as she ages she will get better in that way. The taste is the same as the smell. The best part was the high! I smoked 4 joints to my head and kept getting higher and higher and was eventually feeling all super stoned and trippy like I used to feel waaaay back in the old days. That experience alone made the whole grow worthwhile. But, daily use and tolerance has mad it a fairly unremarkable stash at this point. I hardly feel much from it and I think it also has a anxious feel. The buds had thicker pistils than the other two plants.

The seeds were large and a light sand color.
DSC03176.JPG

DSC03174.JPG

Hempy McNoodle

I am happy with this grow, I don't know if it is more potent than the bodhi/Liquidkid version or not. I think most growers and smokers would not be happy with it, but old school smokers would really like it. I think it is GREAT for occassional smokers and not so great for heavy users unless you have plenty of other stuff to smoke too. In other words, if I smoked heavily and daily and this was all I had, I don't think I'd be a happy camper. I'd probably have to quit smoking lol. Particularly with the two phenos that produce the anxiety. But, other factors could be at play as well such as the whole covid dystopia that is effecting my life in certain ways. So, I think it is what it is intended to be... a cultivar for those who want to revisit that old school vibe and those who have a deep curiosity about what old time weed was like and those who want to explore diverse world of ganja. I have no regrets at all and I do recommend this strain for those who would seek such a strain. I don't plan on growing it again any time soon.

I am currently growing some of the seeds out for research puposes. Curiosity has gotten the better of me. I am growing seven plants to see if I get any true females out of the batch (you may recall that the seeds were pollenated by a hermie male) and also to see if I can select female seeds by inspecting the base of the seed. I started the seeds under 15 hours of light for two weeks and just set the light to 11 hours per day to trigger flowering a day or two ago. So, I should have my results by the end of this month and I'll post them here. If the results are positive, that would be a very useful bit of information for all growers who want to reproduce lines, but are limited to hermie males (which would normally be discarded).

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Nice results and great smoke report. I never get tired of seeing crazy airy buds like those. :)

I totally agree with you that folks used to modern hybrids will find old time weed like this to be pure junk. But they would be missing out..I'm glad to see people preserving it and it's important to keep these things going. My Bodhi plants were super fun to grow even though the results were somewhat underwhelming. Maybe I will try again at some point now that my skills with controlling long flowering sativas are a little better.

Hempy McNoodle

Dude this thread is probably my favorite thread of all time. I was researching snowhigh gear and came across this story. This was a really captivating story, much like a novel. I loved how you were skeptical at first and then the plants showed their true colors. Thanks for documenting this grow man

My pleasure! And, thank you so much for your kind words! Glad you've enjoyed the thread! I hope others will share their results here as well.

Happy growing!:tiphat:

herblux

Happy new year Hempy McNoodle!
Thank you for the great report Hempy McNoodle , glad you enjoy them!

If you're still cool with it, I'll chime in with a long overdue update.

My two males surprisingly stayed firm (flowered them till the very end) although they were not extreme NLD leaners. However I am encountering some hermies. A runt which started to flower latest (like 3 weeks after everything else) turned out to be a full on hermie. Mixed pistils and balls early on. Out of the remaining 6 females 3 show varying degrees of late intersex traits. Started over the Xmas/NYE period. Two light (some nanners, which I'm plucking off every 3 days) and one medium-heavy with many nanners and some balls. Harvested the latter one to reduce pollination recently at week 14 about 2 weeks early.
Express-dried some of it in the oven and the effect is promising. I can see some similarities with the pheno's you got.

I think this is similar to your medusa pheno, featuring larger bracts and good resin coverage, yet quite NLD leaf shape. Plant #1 from my post on page 8 of this thread.
Day 95/ day 60 flower:
Click image for larger version  Name:	AG1d95.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.2 KB ID:	18038037

And day 134/ day 100 flower:
Click image for larger version  Name:	AG1d134.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	18038038

Late hermie #3 before harvest:
Click image for larger version  Name:	AG3d136.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	18038043

Click image for larger version  Name:	AG3d136top.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.4 KB ID:	18038040

Number 8 which is similar to your big "Gold" pheno. She's the latest of the bunch, will hopefully be ok without too much intersex action for the next 4 weeks till harvest. Here on day 111/ day 75 flower:
Click image for larger version  Name:	AG8d111.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.4 KB ID:	18038041

Click image for larger version  Name:	AG8d111midclose.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.2 KB ID:	18038042

Got one pheno with more WLD influence (in leaf shape and flower structure), which is almost done and stayed firm so far. Will post pics when harvesting.

Smells are in the piney/woody/citrus spectrum with some slight mintyness on the two latest, lighter green/gold phenos. So pretty similar to what you got. Generally I'd say there's two distinct pheno's. The lighter green/gold ones, which are very NLD and long flowering (about 18-20 weeks at a guess) with small bracts and this minty note. Then the darker ones, with bigger, tighter flowers and varying degrees of WLD influence. My #1 is the most NLD in leaf shape and #5 the most WLD. #3 and the not pictured #4 are somewhere in the middle. #6 & #8 are the green/gold one.

This leads me to speculate that the green/gold, late, airy one is the late 60's part and the darker, slightly WLD influenced is the 70's part of this line.

A friend in the US grew these outdoors and did not encounter hermies (he did while growing indoors from seed earlier). Not surprisingly these are sensitive to stress indoors. I want to mention that I do stress them in 6L/1.5gal pots, LED (some added UVA & UVB), growing organically. I think if you grow these outdoors, you will not encounter many hermies. Totally cool in my books, given we're talking lightly inbred landrace here. Happy with the grow & genetics so far :)

Attachments

• AG3d136.jpg
    AG3d136.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 57

Hempy McNoodle

Happy new year Hempy McNoodle!
Thank you for the great report Hempy McNoodle , glad you enjoy them!

If you're still cool with it, I'll chime in with a long overdue update.

My two males surprisingly stayed firm (flowered them till the very end) although they were not extreme NLD leaners. However I am encountering some hermies. A runt which started to flower latest (like 3 weeks after everything else) turned out to be a full on hermie. Mixed pistils and balls early on. Out of the remaining 6 females 3 show varying degrees of late intersex traits. Started over the Xmas/NYE period. Two light (some nanners, which I'm plucking off every 3 days) and one medium-heavy with many nanners and some balls. Harvested the latter one to reduce pollination recently at week 14 about 2 weeks early.
Express-dried some of it in the oven and the effect is promising. I can see some similarities with the pheno's you got.

I think this is similar to your medusa pheno, featuring larger bracts and good resin coverage, yet quite NLD leaf shape. Plant #1 from my post on page 8 of this thread.
Day 95/ day 60 flower:

And day 134/ day 100 flower:

Late hermie #3 before harvest:

Number 8 which is similar to your big "Gold" pheno. She's the latest of the bunch, will hopefully be ok without too much intersex action for the next 4 weeks till harvest. Here on day 111/ day 75 flower:

Got one pheno with more WLD influence (in leaf shape and flower structure), which is almost done and stayed firm so far. Will post pics when harvesting.

Smells are in the piney/woody/citrus spectrum with some slight mintyness on the two latest, lighter green/gold phenos. So pretty similar to what you got. Generally I'd say there's two distinct pheno's. The lighter green/gold ones, which are very NLD and long flowering (about 18-20 weeks at a guess) with small bracts and this minty note. Then the darker ones, with bigger, tighter flowers and varying degrees of WLD influence. My #1 is the most NLD in leaf shape and #5 the most WLD. #3 and the not pictured #4 are somewhere in the middle. #6 & #8 are the green/gold one.

This leads me to speculate that the green/gold, late, airy one is the late 60's part and the darker, slightly WLD influenced is the 70's part of this line.

A friend in the US grew these outdoors and did not encounter hermies (he did while growing indoors from seed earlier). Not surprisingly these are sensitive to stress indoors. I want to mention that I do stress them in 6L/1.5gal pots, LED (some added UVA & UVB), growing organically. I think if you grow these outdoors, you will not encounter many hermies. Totally cool in my books, given we're talking lightly inbred landrace here. Happy with the grow & genetics so far :)

Awesome herblux! Thanks for sharing! Very nice pics, by the way. Yours definitely look like the ones I had or some combo of them. I agree with your assessment that the NLD 'big gold' types are one set (perhaps the 1968 side of it, as you suggested) and the smaller darker green wider-leaved plants are the other side of it (1972?). I also tend to think, based on what I've seen, that the 'big gold' plants are probably more similar (at least structurally) to the ones offered by Bodhi / Liquidkid. I consider this type the true Acapulco Gold and the other type, I suspect is a vintage Mexican plant from the same region (though, this is only speculation on my part).

I hope the hermie flowers don't mess things up too bad for you. As I mentioned, they formed so late that they did not have a negative effect on my crop. I noticed that they started appearing a few days after I shortened the daylength to 10 hrs to promote the plant to 'finish up.' So, I suspect that may have had something to do with it.

Sidenote: I've pinned down the scent and flavor of my medusa pheno (plant #3). She has a light and very nice sunkist orange or candy orange scent and flavor. Very nice. The smok is far less expansive than the other two plants, however.

I've been really, really enjoying all of them over this last weekend! My enjoyment of them seems to come in waves (which I think has something to do with my endocannabinoid system. Sometimes I smoke these and they are not effecting me much or cause anxiety and other times they are just the bee's knees! I also noticed that these pair very well with other buds. I smoked some GDP and then an hour later smoked bowl after bowl of the #2 pheno and just couldn't imagine feeling better!

Cheers!

Hempy McNoodle

Greetings All, :tiphat:

Here is my little science experiment. I selected seeds with a round detachment point at the base (1 from each pheno) and also a non-circular basal detachment points. I marked the circular with an O and the non-circular with an X. The Os are on the left and the Xs are on the right. I am hoping to establish whether or not I can select female seeds (marked with O) and if I can get non-hermy females. I planted these in mid December and had them at 15hours of light. I switched them on January 3rd to 11 hours of light. I expect to see flowers in about one week from now.

The plants look very good except for the bottom leaves. This damage is from me going out of town and coming back to barely reach them in time to save them from dehydration.

DSC03186.JPG
DSC03189.JPG
DSC03191.JPG
DSC03193.JPG
DSC03196.JPG