What's new

SmottPoker's 150w hps grow -soil

Yeah it was all done in Rubbermaid tubs. I wanna say they were generally in the 8 to 10 gallon range, meaning that's how much water I put in there, not that they were that small. I would generally end up keeping them only filled about halfway up throughout most of the grow. But I did several clones all in one tub, with holes cut in the lid, and net cups in the holes. I generally did about 2 to 4 plants at a time, depending on starting size of clones and how quickly they were being thrown into flower.

DWC is awesome, and super fast, but I always had issues with the water temperature. I live in a warm climate. But for people who can keep the water temperature down below the low 70s, DWC is the shit.

Damn I for sure live I'm a very warm climate! What kind of issues did the high water temps cause you?

So I'll be posting an update tonight. But I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on helping me get my ventilation a little better. Ultimately I'm going to have to get the flange and hook my 150w up to the fan. But should I also get an intake fan?

Right now my ambient temps can be anywhere from 73-80. But my tent is running at like a constant 90-98..with a 4 inch 165cm exhaust fan hooked up and all 3 passive intake screen/vents things open.

I'm thinking intake fan of some sort?

I know I hear a lot of people being able to get away with computer fans for exhaust and being being able to get nice temps in their boxes. Whats up with that? What kind of ambient temps are you guys looking at? And what kind of inside temps are you seeing?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
What kind of issues did the high water temps cause you?

Water loses its ability to hold dissolved oxygen the warmer it gets. In scenarios where the water temperature is greater than the low 70s, oxygen levels are fairly low, so problems like pythium and root rot occur.

Desert Dan

Veteran
I know I hear a lot of people being able to get away with computer fans for exhaust and being being able to get nice temps in their boxes. Whats up with that? What kind of ambient temps are you guys looking at? And what kind of inside temps are you seeing?

Bro... If you are a desert rat like myself, then you need to understand that we cannot play by the same rules other growers do! A 150 hps puts off heat and unless you do something to counter act it, it will build up! This is why I either switch to LED or just shut down during the summer.

1) You need to keep your ambient temps at least 75F (via central AC, Portable, etc.)
2) Exhaust your hot air outside of the room you are growing in
3) Do not switch to DWC until you get environmental issues under control

Hopefully you have a central AC... Turn that bad boy on and vent your tent into the attic, out the window, etc. A intake fan will not help. Hopefully this was helpful :tiphat:

DD

Bro... If you are a desert rat like myself, then you need to understand that we cannot play by the same rules other growers do! A 150 hps puts off heat and unless you do something to counter act it, it will build up! This is why I either switch to LED or just shut down during the summer.

1) You need to keep your ambient temps at least 75F (via central AC, Portable, etc.)
2) Exhaust your hot air outside of the room you are growing in
3) Do not switch to DWC until you get environmental issues under control

Hopefully you have a central AC... Turn that bad boy on and vent your tent into the attic, out the window, etc. A intake fan will not help. Hopefully this was helpful :tiphat:

DD

Yeah...makes sense.
What kind of led do you use to swap out your 150w?

Water loses its ability to hold dissolved oxygen the warmer it gets. In scenarios where the water temperature is greater than the low 70s, oxygen levels are fairly low, so problems like pythium and root rot occur.

Oh yeah no good! Don't want that..

There are some good brands of LED's and some that just want to hose you. How much can you spend?

That's the thing I really don't want to cough up more than like $150.

I figure if I'm gonna spend more than that I may as well just do the tent right and exhaust into my attic instead of back into my room and then I can probably just put a 250w hps or so in there and air cool it and then just come close to doubling my yield.

But for like $100-200 it would probably be worth it to go with the led. I do see some people getting some really good yields from them.

Latest posts

Latest posts