What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smoking weed while pregnant?

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
I think drugs, and the alterted states of mind that come with them, are FUCKING AWESOME! You mean, I take this stuff, and it alters my perception of reality? And as a bonus, my brain doesn't melt, and it mostly goes back to normal? Why the stigma? Protestant Reformation? God damned prudes!

I think people should be encouraged to try drugs in a way that feeds the mind but not the drug. Cannabis should be used as a tool to expand your existance, or it can be used to help you eat lots of snack food. The path is yours to choose.

Cojito

Its a medicine for the mother...

sure, it CAN be medicine for the mother. for example, we've already talked about how it can be useful for painful menstrual cramps. but what about the mom who tokes up daily for recreational pleasure? its not medicine for her.

It has also been shown in SCIENTIFIC studies to benefit the MOTHER as well as the BABY while taken while pregnant. It shown to have POSITIVE effects... with NO Negative effects.

look, i know you're desperate to believe its harmless or even a positive. but due to prohibition there really hasn't been that much research on this. and why say there are no negative effects when a simple a 3 second google search turns up this: (http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/faq/01-pregnancy.htm)

quoted text below:

[FONT=Helvetica,Verdana,Arial]Moderate cognitive deficits were detectable among these children when they were four days old and again at four years, but these deficits were no longer apparent at five years. Prenatal marijuana exposure was not, however, without lasting impact. By comparison, at both ages 5-6 and 9-12, children in the same study who were prenatally exposed to tobacco smoke scored significantly lower on tests of language skills and cognitive functioning.
Joy JE, Watson SJ, Benson JA, eds. Marijuana and medicine: Assessing the science base. Institute of Medicine. Washington DC: National Academy Press, 1999

[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Verdana,Arial]There are inconsistent epidemiological data on its effect on birth weight. There is evidence of subtle disturbances of cerebral development resulting in cognitive impairment in offspring of cannabis users. Some scientists assume such disturbances exist, while others believe that cannabis exerts no relevant negative effects. Possibly subtle cognitive marijuana-related disorders might not be observed before preschool or school age.(...)
No influences on physical fetal development in children born to chronic cannabis users have been reported. Yet, as far as possible, cannabis should be avoided during pregnancy and in lactating women because of the controversial evidence for subtle disturbances of cognitive development.
Grotenhermen F. Review of unwanted actions of Cannabis and THC. In: Grotenhermen F, Russo E, eds. Cannabis and cannabinoids. Pharmacology, toxicology, and therapeutic potential. Haworth Press, Bing-hamton/New York 2001, in press.
Grotenhermen F. Practical hints. In: Grotenhermen F, Russo E, eds. Cannabis and cannabinoids. Pharmacology, toxicology, and therapeutic potential. Haworth Press, Bing-hamton/New York 2001, in press.

[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Verdana,Arial]The consequences of prenatal exposure to cannabis are subtle. The impact during the course of pregnancy and upon the neonate appear to be considerably moderated by other risk factors with evidence from a number of cohorts suggesting mild effects upon fetal growth and central nervous system functioning. During the toddler stage, there is little evidence for a prenatal cannabis effect either upon growth or behavior. However, beyond the age of three, there are suggestive findings indicating a putative association between prenatal marihuana exposure and aspects of cognitive behavior that fall under the rubric of executive function. Particularly, the facets of this construct which appear impacted are the domains of attention/impulsivity and problem solving situations requiring integration and manipulation of basic visuoperceptual skills. Although there is a convergence of evidence, the very limited number of studies which have followed children beyond the age of three emphasizes the need for further, well controlled investigations in this area.
Fried P. Pregnancy. In: Grotenhermen F, Russo E, eds. Cannabis and cannabinoids. Pharmacology, toxicology, and therapeutic potential. Haworth Press, Bing-hamton/New York 2001, in press.
[/FONT]

I do think there should be line drawn however what you give to a baby as the effects are different.

is that an emotional response or are you using a peer reviewed study to draw that line? you've said UNEQUIVOCALLY that cannabis is harmless medicine. why is it "ridiculous" to give it to a baby?

The baby does not receive the effects like we do when we smoke or digest cannabis.

ah - so are you saying cannabis is actually dangerous? - and that mom is filtering out the potential harmful side-effects? doesn't appear the research i sited agrees with you on this.

Buddle

Veteran
I have a friend that smoked while pregnant...back in the early seventies..real flower child.
Her daughter was born very healthy but by the time she was two it was clearly evident she had serious developmental delays.Was this caused by pot? Who knows..but if its me I don't want the guilt of wondering whether my selfishness(getting high while pregnant) led to my child forever being handicapped.
I'm a caregiver and huge medical mj advocate. I just can't see not wanting your baby to have the healthiest enviroment possible while in the womb...and that means not having it tiny body trying to filter through the thc..nothing personal..
I am also wondering why you are so defensive if you feel so strongly this is the right thing for Mom and baby?

Burt

Veteran
smoked throughout pregnancies of all 4 of mine-no problem for me or the old lady!
if anything, the kids are even better off and are in the upper percentile for all of that bogus testing-but this may be due to the hybridizing of the races too-we're mullatos

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
Buddle....because he loves his wife and Son and he believes 100% in his families choices, he's just not going to accept insults and people's "holier than thou" crap. Until someone can do more than a Google search, he's not going to believe the propaganda, he's not that dumbed down. My Son and I ARE part of a study being conducted by Michigan State University. They have part of my Son's umbillical cord, placenta and cord blood. I'll let you all know what they think of my Son's health, cognitive and motor functions over the next 5 years. So far, he's doing great, he's actually advanced in all of the above mentioned areas.

PoopyTea, why are you even engaging in this other than to stick up for pregnant women? Why are you even on this fucking stupid site? You know all the people you need to know. You've been growing long enough and you're good at it. I wouldn't waste your time here, especially with (for the most part these days) a bunch of socially awkward loners that have no wives, no children and no fucking lives to speak of. Seriously...you have a gorgeous Son who's healthy and in the upper percentiles. Some of the douche bags in this thread will never have that....or they sit on this fucking site jerking off so much, they'll never have anything but a grow room and plants that don't give a shit about them.

Who gives a fuck what people believe, we all live our own lives. In my opinion, if it weren't for us women trusting our instincts and knowing (through evolution) what to do with babies, the whole fucking human race would have been wiped out a long time ago....certainly if men were in charge of gestation, birth and nurturing. How about we all take a second and just be thankful for the women who have sacrificed our bodies and risked our lives to give birth to you. This thread is over-ran with oppressive remarks and beliefs about women. So sad...I'd like to remind everyone that men only donate 1 cell and 23 chromosomes, we do the rest in the physical sense. I do applaud all of you great Fathers out there.....we need you and so do your kiddos.

Every one of you Fathers will make mistakes with your children's health and safety. Not one of you are perfect....you put carcinogens in your children all the time, it's almost unavoidable. Until you can perfectly raise a child (which has never been done before by a single man OR woman)......it's false to speak your mind about pregnant women and marijuana with absolute certainty. We are in the women's forum here guys, so please keep it respectful to the ladies....a lot of us used our safest medication when we were pregnant with our children.

Last edited:

ijim

Anything you put in your digestive system or bloodstream is shared with the fetus. I have adopted a boy whose father died from opiate overdose and mother did whatever was handed to her while pregnant. He is nine and acts five. He still hasn't been able to learn to read, write, tell time or draw a picture. He and those that love him will pay for his mothers selfishness for the rest of his life. I don't sell my cannabis but when those that I share with share with pregnant women or adolescents. They never taste my herbs again. We can only hope to be free of criminal cannabis laws when we show that we are responsible people.

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
I think we'll only be free in the way of criminal cannabis laws when we learn to separate it from opiates and other hard drugs.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I think we'll only be free in the way of criminal cannabis laws when we learn to separate it from opiates and other hard drugs.

:yeahthats I hope that guy equally ostracizes any pregnant woman who takes pharma prescribed by her Dr.

Cannabis is not a hard drug and has caused ZERO birth defects; by contrast MANY FDA approved DRUGS have caused countless birth defects life long challenges.

:joint:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Comparing Opiate use in any way to cannabis is stupidity. Its Eggs and Apples.
Speaking of opiates in a debate over pregnant women using cannabis is real WEAK SAUCE.

I like to Elude to the knowledge of accepted usage of all of it in culture throughout time,some of the most prodigious are the users of the spices and than to the trickle down

party on

party on

I agree with it the indv.choice the child will probly be unharmed from it or maybe be able to roll a joint with one hand (kidding)
now there is breast feeding while smoking weed it will pass to the enfant and will help calm the child down somewhat but will not harm the child . Women have been doing this for century.Now to much could be a problem or lead to drinking alc.or other drugs.

R

Rysam

My wife smoked/vaped during both of our kids. Her "all day" sickness was very rough. Both of my kids (6&9)are quite healthy, at the top of their class and as far as I'm concerned show no negative effects.
there was no drinking/opiates/tobacco etc.. just a rip or two to ease the nausea.

Smoking anything whilst preggo is not really a good idea, but it has been shown in longitudinal studies that women whom consume or vaporize cannabis during pregnancy have less hzperactive children whom do better according to social standards of behavedness and intelligence in later years, now this doesnt speak about how enlightened these children are or are not as an effect of the cannabinoids during the prenatal period. But truth is anxieties about the any subsequent enlightenment would be purported to be less than those children whom werent exposed to cannabinoids during this developmental period. I refer to schizophrenia as enlightenment if understood properly it can be assesed similarly. As well as a belief in god, is definately classified as schiz, since it is a belief in something which.... oh, noooo... Im not getting this deep, apologies!

I think cannabinoids can be good in very limited amounts during pregnancy, but then again there could be negative effects not identified as of yet, good luck and many babies 2 all.

K

Having children is a gift. AND its all about sacrificing.Being pregnant is just the beginning of "doing without".It is the beginning of putting anothers' wellfare above your own....ALWAYS. A good mother will take a bullet for her child and be happy to do so, her only regret that she wont be around to continue to protect her child.Women, you are nourishing a life here. Is it gonna kill you to do with out weed for 9 months? Such a short time to refrain when it is potentially affecting the entire life of another innocent human being.

Catchin1

smoking

smoking

smoking pot while pregnant is noit such a good idea. For one, why even take the risk it could harm your zygoat/fetus/baby etc....secondly if for some reason when you are having tests or being checked or get arrested or anything and they find drugs in your system. They ARE going to charge you with a crime. I do not know, it is your choice, but there are enough fucked up children in this world, why risk making yours one of them?
:wave:

oh yeah and exactly what lil skunk baby said!

I dispute the effect to be nothing but beneficial and is a luxury to be indulged in the womb if possible
listen to Mozart while doing so if possible

_Ina_

Veteran
Hello everyone! i smoked once every week,sometimes twice a week during my pregnancy. my little girl is now 4 years old. there was no problem with that. in Maroko they give some tea from canabis to their mothers when they going to birth. for the pain. the canabis is not so dangerous,but the way u use it(smoking) is not good. offcourse i do not smoke cigarettes,they are realy bad for the baby. i'm sorry for the english,im from bulgaria:)

Latest posts

Latest posts