What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smartphone light meter apps

goingrey

My lux meter is $5 for new ali customers, or about $10 for existing one's. It's not $4 every month. For $5 you own it. Actual hardware. I think $50 a year is just too much for an app. $80 gets a real par meter, that goes in the usb port. No converting lux meter readings to flaky par numbers. An actual par sensor.
I really wouldn't want an app doing my math for $50 a year. Which is all it is. The phone has no par meter hidden away. Just a light sensor, it doesn't hide at all (though maybe an iphone does)
I dial *#01*# on my sammy, then select sensors, light sensor. I get lux, r g b w cct.
I cba though. My $10 meter is just beside my drivers, and only needs the power button pressing.
If you are a numpty, don't use the engineer code. You may re-calibrate stuff you don't want to. Just pay for an app.
Photone is free.

hillbil

I’ve had a couple lux/foot candles meters but there is no comparison to Photone free app even.

Ca++

Photone is free.
Yes the $4 gets all the features. I presume you get adverts?
I'm not knocking the app. As a lifestyle choice, I take my phone out my pocket when I'm at home. I often find myself wanting it's camera, but it's not with me. This is obviously a review of me, not an app. However, I do like my meter, by my crop.

It seems only Photone gets reasonable reviews. Almost too reasonable, considering the hardware it's working with.

goingrey

Yes the $4 gets all the features. I presume you get adverts?
I'm not knocking the app. As a lifestyle choice, I take my phone out my pocket when I'm at home. I often find myself wanting it's camera, but it's not with me. This is obviously a review of me, not an app. However, I do like my meter, by my crop.

It seems only Photone gets reasonable reviews. Almost too reasonable, considering the hardware it's working with.
No ads on Android at least