What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smart Pots

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just imagine the sticker-shock for someone getting a quote on 5,000 pots for a commercial tree stock contract.

Delusional.........

haha i started to but then caught myself before i realized it. i dont even want to think. wonder how much profit the company makes. must be huge with prices that high.

MoleMcHenry

Found more air root pruning pots

Found more air root pruning pots

I found some more root pruning pots at www.rootmaker.com . And better yet-they're really affordable!

They carry both plastic extruded pots (in round and square shapes) and fabric knit bags that prune plant roots.

I was browsing through their newsletters and there were a few items that stood out:

A letter from a grower who did an experiment between their fabric bags and a regular, non-pruning pot that some here would probably find interesting:

http://www.rootmaker.com/newsletters/spring01.pdf

An explanation of root pruning techniques:

http://www.rootmaker.com/newsletters/summer03.pdf

Personally, I am thinking about using either their 6" square plastic pots or their 5" diameter x 12" tall fabric grow bags for my sog. The more I think about it, the square pots sound god because they're stable and can doubtlessly stand on their own whereas the fabric pot may have stabiiity issues.

I hope you find this helpful!

Mole

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Question is, how do they stay in business? I think at that price it would scare anyone off. That's crazy! BC

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
Suby said:
I got a quote for ~300$ for 10 x .5gal containers and 10 x 5gals, a bit pricey for my taste.
I'm sure they work amazing but not 300$ for 20 pots amazing, I think it's DIY time for Suby , I feel a tutorial and some McGuiverisms coming on :headbang:

S

i hear that. i bet we could all put our collective heads together and curb the market. LOL! the design seems simple enough and if the diy starts happening those prices will sink quickly.

ph meter holster? ha! how about something that will actually sell? im game.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Here is a web site, The Water Garden, which has a number of water plant containers including one product line that looks exactly like the SmartPot product at very good prices - here

HTH

CC

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Alright so the the hamster and his wheel in my brain have been running overtime :hotbounce:

I think I've come up with something, I have a 3gallon pail I have bored full of holes for a carbon scrobber and it occured to me I could simply add a long rectangle piece of mosquito screen to the inside and fill it with soil.

I think the design could work aside from the opening being non conical, I liked that aspect of the pots, they had tapered holes to bunch up the spinning roots.

I think the holes from this type of mesh would work well and it's plastic so mostly safe...I think.

Well it's the weekend so maybe I'll whip something up and see...

Suby

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Oh and 60$ of that was shipping,l still fucking pricey for recylcled plastic, the problem is distribution with these guys...no damn stock, no 2gallons, no 1 gallons, WTF?

S

G

Thats what I'm sayin Suby - I have fucktons of MaxiPots - 3gal, 9.64 x 9.64 across the top, 6.64 x 6.64 across the bottom and like 11" tall. If I could make these bitches work by drilling a shitton of little holes in them I would. But the idea of sitting for hours and hours drilling little holes in my $4 pots bothers me a little.

Anyone have any idea how to drill about 50 holes, spaced evenly apart - really fast?

jrw

strainwhore said:
Anyone have any idea how to drill about 50 holes, spaced evenly apart - really fast?
Smoke some crazy sativa and let body and machine melt into one beeing and run amok! :headbange

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Ok...how about a hole saw of a tapered hole saw and don`t be fussy with the evenly spaced, I had to print a grid pattern to scale of a vector plottor which I taped to the bucket before drilling....

If you have Illustrator or CAD and a pen plotter then go nuts lol.

Suby

jrw

Suby said:
Ok...how about a hole saw of a tapered hole saw and don`t be fussy with the evenly spaced, I had to print a grid pattern to scale of a vector plottor which I taped to the bucket before drilling....

If you have Illustrator or CAD and a pen plotter then go nuts lol.

Suby

You're probably gonna end up spending the same amount of time as if you just went ahead and started drilling with a regular electrical screwdriver right now... Not as fun though.

greenhead

Veteran
Suby said:
Oh and 60$ of that was shipping,l still fucking pricey for recylcled plastic, the problem is distribution with these guys...no damn stock, no 2gallons, no 1 gallons, WTF?

S

Those ridiculous prices that you were quoted - Was that for the Smart Pots or the Air Pots ?

Who the fuck is going to spend hundreds of dollars on a few pots ? You can get a damn new HPS for the same price.

:joint: :wave:

Texas Kid

Why not just go direct to the guys that make them?? they are in Oklahoma and ship out with the quickness

www.smartpots.com

You can buy onesy twosy no problems

I have a pile of the 2 gallon and 3 gallon ones here, they are pretty neat and work awesome. They make them from 1 gallon to 65 gallons so you can get one for even your biggest 65 gallon blueberry plant...

There are some very detailed grows and side by sides on other sites not sure why none here.

Tex

guineapig

Veteran
Suby i love your hamster wheel!!! :hotbounce:

I've been through a lot of gimmicky containers over the years, of that i am certain...
However, i think these smartpots give results far superior to other containers, and if
Texas Kid is using them, that's all the recommendation i need....

What i'm wondering is, how would multiple plants fare in a larger smartpot? Would that be a good idea?

More research should go into container designs imho.....the roots need some lovin' too!!!! :kissass:

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Last edited:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
guineapig said:
What i'm wondering is, how would multiple plants fare in a larger smartpot?

Would that be a good idea?
Guineapig

We do multiple plants with kitchen herbs out on the deck along with the smaller sized salad tomatoes, etc. with great success. We use the 25 gallon size pots for these plants.

I did one last summer with multiple strawberry plants (varieies) by cutting the side wall of the pot with a sharp razor knife so that I had plants growing from the sides as well as the top which was covered. We used a 30 gallon pot for the strawberry plants.

Nice thing about using these pots for specific plants is that you can dial in the soil PH as well as the type of amendments that you might consider using.

HTH

CC

jrw

I'm transplanting 1 out of 4 A5 x Thai into this pot within the next 3 weeks.
The remaining three will go into similar pots without holes from the lowest level of 4 holes per side and up.

They're growing from seed so the "test" is not super tight :D

The OT Haze x SWT# is doing mighty fine in the DIY ~4 liter cloth pot.

62 days from seed, 12/12 from seed, 2x55W fluoro tubes

Texas Kid

Of course we are in all Coco and not soil but the function is the same...

They work great on flood drain tables, work badass in Ebb&Grow bucket setups as put liners to keep everything clean and pumps from cloggin up.

The 2's and 3's work great on the tables

You can also wash them and reuse and they are pretty durable.

Tex

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
LETS BE CRYSTAL CLEAR!!!

I am talking about AIR POTS, the extruded platic with the pins type.
The Smart Pots seem like an excellent buy and widely available.

Big UPS to jrw for your DIY idea going strong.

Welcome to TK amd the guineapig to our forums, it has been awhile since we have had the pleasure :rasta:

I'm all over this container full of holes with the netting thing, tommorpw fur shure ...

S

MPL

Woah you can use these on E&F tables? How would you set that up exactly? How deep would the table and flood have to be?

Texas Kid said:
They work great on flood drain tables, work badass in Ebb&Grow bucket setups as put liners to keep everything clean and pumps from cloggin up.

The 2's and 3's work great on the tables

Tex

Latest posts

Latest posts