What's new

Smart Pots

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Thank you for the advice CC I will be trying this next time I water, so do you use an equal amount of water around the edges as it takes to run through the middle?

During veg, about how much water do you use on a #5 and how often do water?

Thanks
Maj. Cottonmouth

I usually apply 1.5 - 2.0 gallons of water to each #5 SmartPot during the veg cycle (20/4). Since I'm only growing my plants in this cycle with a 400w CMH bulb (lower temps) I find that a couple of times a week is adequate.

Obviously as the plants increase in size the amount of water and the frequency increases.

HTH

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
i seen a story on pbs garden show about a tree company ussing grow bags to stop root circleing, they love it, they was using a grow bag white white on the outside, i seen the name but i forgot it, anyone know who makes these kind of bad with the white outside?
mrred

You're probably (maybe) talking about the 'RootTrapper Container' from Root Maker. Since these are generally sold 'to the trade' you may find it difficult to source these nursery pots.

Their RootBuilder II product line is identical to the AirPots from Caledonia Tree Company.

HTH

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
onegreenday

Good question and an important one. Transplanting from a #2 SmartPot into a #5 SmartPot is not as seamless is it is with traditional nursery pots. As a matter of fact it's a real PITA.

I recommend that a grower take the rooted cutting and place it into the final pot for growing and flowering.

Just my experience.

CC

Absolut

I assume growing a bonsai mom wouldn't be ideal in a smart pot.

Unless you trim/top the hell out of it which would prob stress it a lot more right?

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I go straight from 18 oz beercups to 3 gallon smart pots.
transplant with a tsp of myco/bacto.
roots stick out of the 3 gallon bags anywhere from 3 days to a week.
seems to work. your results may vary.

onegreenday

Veteran
I transplanted out of the #2 and you must
peel down the cloth until you can push out
the plant root ball & you notice all the white root ends
where they met the cloth & stopped.

Then you go to the bigger bag
or maybe a milk crate lined with HEMP.

I only did 1 like that but it took ok.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I transplanted out of the #2 and you must
peel down the cloth until you can push out
the plant root ball & you notice all the white root ends
where they met the cloth & stopped.

Then you go to the bigger bag
or maybe a milk crate lined with HEMP.

I only did 1 like that but it took ok.
onegreenday

That's been my experience as well. It ain't the best way but it's 'do-able' - sort of.

LOL

CC

M

mrred

who sells the cheapest containers around a gallon size and one size for seedling/clones?

The Bling

BORROWED MILK CRATES AND A 29$ ROLL OF LANDSCAPING ROOT CLOTH FROM HOME DE POT AND A MILK CRATE IS 1.5 CU FT LIKE A BAG OF DIRT:joint:

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Maj. Cottonmouth

I usually apply 1.5 - 2.0 gallons of water to each #5 SmartPot during the veg cycle (20/4). Since I'm only growing my plants in this cycle with a 400w CMH bulb (lower temps) I find that a couple of times a week is adequate.

Obviously as the plants increase in size the amount of water and the frequency increases.

HTH

CC

Clackamas Coot,

Thank you for the info, I think I may be under watering now :) (1.5-2 quarts per #3 Smart Pot every 3-5 days) I have been having some issues and am getting great help in the sick plants thread and will be watering more. I will find that Zen balance some day.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=45517&page=55

onegreenday

Veteran
take them out and trim thee roots, repot

onegreenday,s where did you get the roottrappers?

there are no roots to trim as they are root pruned. the root end comes
to the fabric & stops.
I just used the root blocker fabric.

I would expect a long term mother to completely
"consume" all the root media & have to be transplanted
but not sure what time frame.

M

mrred

there are no roots to trim as they are root pruned. the root end comes
to the fabric & stops.
I just used the root blocker fabric.

I would expect a long term mother to completely
"consume" all the root media & have to be transplanted
but not sure what time frame.

check out the bonsai mom thread, i was talking about trimming the roots after they consume the root medium at the point they needed transplanting

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
I really like Smart Pots, using all 10gal now. The girls think they're outdoors!
Breaking the olskool magic # of a zip per sq ft, pushing 1.2 if I deduct my 12" walkway.
A couple 10gal testers broke 150g's in 100 days. Need to turn the screws on all of'em :D

Going to grab some of those Root Pouches next trip to town, I really like the handles & price. ;)

If yours are draining out the sides when watering? They're too dry, water several times in the center, then around the outside. They're really misleading & require quite a bit more fluids than normal pots.
I saw it mentioned a couple times already, but... Learn their dry & wet weight by feel.

Peace :)

onegreenday

Veteran
nice chef. those 10 gallon r like a indoor

raised-bed garden. must weigh a ton.

hard to move around i bet.

wow 150g ; now that's a yielder nice.......

treewizard

Some one suggested burlap at one point and at least upon searching this tread for "diy", it didn't seem as though anymore was made of it. Has anyone tried this out? I was thinking that a copper tubing frame with burlap stretched over it might work. What is the yeild like out of the real pots vs more conventional alternatives?

Latest posts

Latest posts