What's new

Smart Pots

Germanator

It is pretty well known that multiple transplants are needed and the main reason for it is so that the roots are able to absorb water and nutrients and oxygen at an appropriate rate without staying wet for too long. Put a cut in a 7 gallon container and you will see a plant with roots staying wet for too long and not allowing for more oxygen being pushed through the medium as would be the case with MORE frequent waterings in a smaller appropriately sized container for the root mass. It is what makes sense to me and to most gardeners indoor and out, so if it doesn't make sense to you...cheers! There are obviously many ways to grow and threads like this bring that out.

The goal in a transplant is to avoid shocking the plant as much as possible. Ripping out roots in the process of moving the plant qualifies in my book. I remove the entire root mass when I transplant... maybe I misunderstood the comment, but yes I do transplant the entire thing.

Sorry...faded...my main point was that I didn't think they outperformed the bags or containers around them enough to merit the cost when I tested one out a few weeks back. But it seems like a fine product for other applications.

Be easy,
Germ

Last edited:

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Good post Germanator, you and I are on the same page with regards to transplanting and it's role in rootzone health.
Transplant shock in regular pots is overstatted, I've transplanted half way through flowering with no setbacks.
I always try and transplant twice before putting clones into flowering, I also use a larger cup when I am rooting clones, I up the perlite to 50% seing as they have awhile before they root enough to dry out the 16oz cups.

I still see these as a benefit with coco in a run to waste system.

jwm

Veteran
I Love smart pots! More air to the root system is a good thing. I've used them w/ great success.

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
The pots do not use any type of fabric that the roots can connect to so that comment made no sense. Or you have never used them. The idea that transplanting is more beneficial than simply starting plants in their appropriate container is debatable to say the least. I thought it was common knowledge that if you have an increase in your soil you would naturally increase your Perlite and other materials to make up for excess water retention in the larger container thus eliminating excessive wet periods in your root zone and increasing air flow(the whole point of the pots). Yes you will have to water twice as often but your plant are using the nutes and drying twice as fast! Makes sense to you and alot of gardeners in and outdoors?? Dont see alot indoor/outdoor growers re-potting if it is so beneficial and for future reference - try not to sound like a condescending dick when getting your message across! Again the pots come apart(unwrap from the whole ball) making it easy to move the entire ball soil and all and doing no damage to the zone in the process. I just have a hard time believing that you made a informed and intelligent decision based on the run of a similar single pot for one run and now you are here giving your opinion on it like an expert. The pots run 8 bucks for a 4 gallon pot also and normal pots got for 3-5 bucks so the increase and what you get from the investment pay for themselves in a single grow. Twice the vigor and twice the speed is worth the extra $3 in my eyes. If you cant see that as a worthy investment - Cheers!

Mt Toaker

It never even occurred to me that all those holes would dry out the soil faster. The root masses on their site are probably the most extreme cases that they have came across. Considering they are trying to sell you a product they would be showing the best of the best I'm sure. Either way, the ones they show using it seem to really like it.

Last edited:

luvtogrow

Multiple transplants or potting up gives much bigger root system and flowered plants, no need for me to debate. Did side by side comparisons last grow and already knew from previous grows, that potting up is smart. Smart potting!

Mt Toaker

That does make sense, the roots grow to the edge, then can't go any further, then they do it again, and again, just stacking root systems.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
If the soil dries out faster, it could actually allow you to use much larger pots, without having to worry about the water stagnating..

It's quite probably that pots like this mean you need to adjust more than a few things in your grow strategy.. larger pots are possible, soil doesn't need to drain as much as in closed pots, watering schedule may vary, etc.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Exactly Xnay, to get the most from these pots the soil mix and AP or SP size needs to be adjusted.

:joint:

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
Although I did not participate in this expiriment, I will add this. I agree with Suby that transplant shock is overstated and I believe not applicable to healthy pot plants. I have also tranplanted mid bloom with no ill effects.The worst I have yet seen is a little droop. But that clears up as soon as the plant digs in and starts moving furinture in its new home.

Multiple transplants are beneficial, but not necessary. I have started seeds in trashcans before and took thje plant to fruition outdoors. I do, however, think that letting the plant get close to potbound builds up rootmass to explode in the new pot.

Long story short, I usually leave my ladies in 8 inch pots til they are pretty much needing water daily. Then it is transplant time. The growth quickly accelerates once the plant is established in the new medium. I find that the massive rootzone is more capable of taking in all of the fresh goodies that await in the new soil.

Like the post said earlier, there is no wrong way to this. It's just like cloning, whatever method works best for you.

SD

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Smart Pots

I've been using the Smart Pots product for over a year. I start my clones into #2 pots until they're about 12" or so and then I transfer them into either #5 or #7 pots depending on which strain, i.e. Star Trek (Sensi Star x Arcata Trainwreck which is a local MMJ strain) requires a #7 pot in my growing situation and Jack Herer is grown in a #5 Smart Pot.

Initially I started with both the Smart Pot as well as the Air Pot and it is my personal observation/opinion that the Smart Pot is a better product. They're far, far less expensive than the Air Pot product. The ease of cleaning them (i.e. in a commercial laundromat for pennies) is a strong argument on using them.

When using Mycorrhizae.com's products when transplanting, I expect and see extreme root development. Instead of just a single 'tap root' there are often 7 or more 'tap roots'

Building a good solid soil mix (like 'LC Soil Mix') with some important changes and/or additions (like glacial rock dust, neem seed meal, et al) you end up with an almost perfect growing environment, IMHO.

Couple all of that with a solid compost tea program, regular neem oil treatments to preclude problems with mites and powdery mildew (FOREVER!!!) and you can easily expect to harvest 4 oz. per a #5 pot.

Toss in regular applications of pure humic acid (like BioAg.com along with Acadian Seaplant seaweed extract, enzyme fish (like Hi-Pro) and you're set for some of the best cannabis available.

IMHO

CC

duddits

Can the guys who want to discuss Air Pots do so elsewhere?!? This thread is titled "Smart Pots"...you know, the fabric kind??

Peace:yoinks:

Would the smart pots or air pots, I dunno which is better cause their both new to me cause Im new to soil but Im indoors under air cooled 1k's. I discovered these and was hoping that maybe they help with quality and yield. It seems theres lots of great things people say about them but are these the best kinda pots to grow in. If so Ill be under 2 1k's in 2 4x4 flood tables and I was wondering how many I could run....that would be 5 gallon smart or air pots and would using the #5 or #7 be better. I would think number 7 since you get more root space, right? I think these sound awesome, I would start them in the #2 you think or #1 and then transplant it when it gets about 12'' or so?

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Dudits we aren't very anal about staying on topic in this forum, especially not with 2 product so close in nature.
If the original poster requests it then so be it ;)

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I was glad for the introduction of the Air Pots product. I bought some used ones from the former 'distributor' here in Oregon and I thought that they are an interesting product in search of trying to fit a need or a niche in the nursery stock industry.

This product's limitations (especially cost) and lack of a coherent distributor/retailer structure has already doomed this product. Oregon is one of the largest nursery stock centers in North America (only behind California and ahead of Florida) and the best you can come up with is a nursery stock grower up in Canby? When there's are least 100 nursery wholesale suppliers in the valley?

And then there is the cost. Cost is almost never an issue if the benefit adds to the bottom line. In the case of the Air Pot the benefit is limited to very few plants. Saplings, especially hard to grow varieties, might benefit from Air Pots over SmartPots and other so-called self-pruning growing pots, but no one with more than 2 brain cells to rub together is going to pay this kind of money when there are other options available. Immediately available at all of the wholesalers. No having to track down where to buy them, supply delays from shipping/transportation issues, etc.

They're best suited for hobby gardeners (i.e. grow store devotees) where process is held in higher regard over functionality/reality.

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
but no one with more than 2 brain cells to rub together is going to pay this kind of money when there are other options available. Immediately available at all of the wholesalers. No having to track down where to buy them, supply delays from shipping/transportation issues, etc.

That's a bit insulting to all of us who use Airpots. Oh, and I had no problem finding them online; received my order in about 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Latest posts