What's new

smart meters

seeyouaunty

They can also just shut off your power I read with the simple push of a button from their communist electric command post I mean power company office.

This is happening in NZ, i've helped install the systems that do so. However it only happens in big industrial manufacturing sites where turning something off would actually make a difference to the grid. Residential supply only makes up about 30% of total power usage and its spread across all the residences. It doesn't make sense to turn off power to 30,000 homes when shutting down a couple of big manufacturing plant lines accomplishes the same thing without pissing off 30,000+ voters.

So the way the system works here is an industrial site is approached to see if they are interested in installing remote controlled (cellular network) smart meters on some of their high-draw equipment. There is an annual payment for being part of the scheme and an agreed upon reimbursment rate for any downtime from remote shutdowns.

Now if the power grid starts to get overloaded the grid operators can put through a request to a suitable site to shutdown some of the plant, and if the plant manager(s) agree it is remotely shutdown while the grid is in an overloaded state. If the plant managers don't agree to a shutdown, perhaps the manufacturing line in question can't be shutdown for various reasons, then the grid operators move onto the next site and make a new request.

I can't speak for all the installers but every site i've worked on we installed manual over-rides for the remote meters, meaning the industrial sites can physically prevent the remote shutdown if they so choose.

Keeping the power grid stable is a major issue that certainly needs addressing. If a part of the grid falls over its much better to have a few controlled easily reversible outages at predetermined locations than many unplanned outages at random wide-ranging locations. I don't know how things are done elsewhere but here in NZ it seems like a reasonably fair system with it being opt-in and still leaving the industrial sites in control of their power supply.

Its worth noting that the smart meters are unable to switch off the powersupply by themselves, there is a host of expensive extra switching equipment that also needs to be installed to allow remote shutdown.

joeuser

So...what you're saying is...there are too many people all trying to get limited electricity? Add to this too many people needing water...and food...and fuel...and we come to the conclusion...we have too many people...and not enough resources.

seeyouaunty

So...what you're saying is...there are too many people all trying to get limited electricity? Add to this too many people needing water...and food...and fuel...and we come to the conclusion...we have too many people...and not enough resources.

Nope not saying that at all. Power plants can get shutdown during extreme weather, trees can fall over breaking lines, lightning can take out switching yards, etc etc. Shit happens, and when it does its better to be prepared.

G

Graham Purwatt

indeed,much appreciated.i'd love to say fuck em but that doesn't seem like a sound decision to me.i've seen what prison is like and i'd rather not go back if possible.living with a bunch of dudes sucks

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree they should only send illegal Cannabis growers to a tropical island with fertile volcanic soils & fresh clean water and naked blondes everywhere with big tits to help with the daily chores and anything else you need. ;) Of course you get to bring your seed stash and all, there are no guards, just lots of sex and no bills. You get to grow all the pot you want and bring it back home with you that is your reward for getting caught in the first place. Where do I sign up? :biggrin:

(trying to brighten this thread up a bit with some positive thoughts)