What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smart Meters?

emilyC

the supposed benefit was that no longer would a utility employee have to jump your fence, get into your backyard and read your meter.

they are supposed to be able to read them from the street, like wi-fi something....
though I have not seen this happen yet.

duke energy

duke energy

the company i work for installs smart meters for a couple of reasons. the main reason is they can send the monthly reads over the electric lines ,there fore getting rid of meter readers. second they will have the abilty to turn off or on your electric from a different city with the push of a button , therefore getting rid of my job. we seldom go out to check on high use unless it is requested by the customer. We do Always check for a large drop in use (broken meters, theft ) ask if you have any more ? and I will try to answer

ambition

I wonder if it's worth running a flower room 24 hours a day on a flip-flop just so it's not too obvious on the 12/12. But then I guess even then the differential between turn on times will show on the smart meter.

Looks like people are just going to have to cross their fingers that nobody does an easy algorithm (assuming there isn't already one) to pinpoint high wattage users out of an area. It's pretty easy to pinpoint growers with this technology. Remarkably easy, actually.

STFU

I wonder if it's worth running a flower room 24 hours a day on a flip-flop just so it's not too obvious on the 12/12. But then I guess even then the differential between turn on times will show on the smart meter.

Looks like people are just going to have to cross their fingers that nobody does an easy algorithm (assuming there isn't already one) to pinpoint high wattage users out of an area. It's pretty easy to pinpoint growers with this technology. Remarkably easy, actually.

We just have to rely on power company laziness and hope they continue to not team up with LEO.. Otherwise we would be in a tight spot!

... ask if you have any more ? and I will try to answer

Well, since you offered: do you, or anyone else, know how a 600w will show up?? It seems the majority of people concerned/affected are folks with large setups, or at least multiple lights.

With our smart meters, you can look up your usage hour by hour online. So our utility company obviously is getting all this. So does anyone know if a single 600w with a digi ballast (Nextgen 400/600) would show up? Keep in mind during the summer, the a/c will kick on more during lights on. Just not sure if I'm going to be flagged or not. My online statement says I still use less than the average household in my neighborhood, so I guess I have that going for me.

TY