What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smallest space for a 1k light? (and are digi ballasts really silent?)

ayekappy

I have a 4x4x7 closet that I want to run a 1000w, theres really no chance of cutting a hole in the drywall, so venting outside is really my only option. Hopefully it will be enough.

bat1327

:confused: I also have a space this big(15sq/ft)going 1-1000 hps with 3 105 cfm fans ( 1 light cooler, 1intake freshair, 1 exit room heat at top) i hope this will be able to keep temps down enough. Will be going to co2 after next crop so temps wont be a factor when summer comes.height of my flowering space is 6-7ft for a total of 90 - 105 c/ft

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
With a 105 cfm fan cooling a 1kw light, make SURE you have very very little bends in the ducting. 100 CFM may very well be able to pull it off, but not if you're running it through a carbon scrubber or even 1 bend.

G

IMHO, 105 cfm isn't gonna do a thing for a 1k. I feel like an effective cooltube should keep the glass shield from ever heating up to the point you can't hold you hand on it. If its puttin off enough heat to heat up the glass, then that is being transferred to the air in your room too. the 105 fm fan might keep the flass cool for 10 or 15 minutes after startup, but after that its just going to be extra hot air you have to dump somewhere.

I

In Vino Veritas

The closet is 7x6, the lights are centered over 7x4. No air cooled hoods, room intake is 8" straight from the central a/c. Exhaust is a 640CFM can-fan w/ scrubber. A/c is set to 74F, room is at 84F lights on, 44% RH. Night time a/c goes down to 71F, room drops to 69F, 48% rh.. The ambient temps suck outside of my home (85-95F this time of year), for that reason we keep it very comfortable inside the house - this makes where my room gets its air from optimal..probably doesn't hurt that my air exchange is on point. Btw, my ballasts are sitting next to my plants, they were made in 2004 only used for about a year of 12/12.

1k's aren't twice as hot as 600's. They say MH is supposed to be a cooler bulb than HPS's but the heat from my MH is always more than the HPS.

If your space is 2x3 get a 600. If its 3x3 or 3x4 or 5x5, etc.. get a 1000..440cfm fan minimum..

Make an educated decision, but your variables will define your situation.

Last edited:

cabanetforester

I have 2 600's in a 4'x7' sealed space. co2 is @ ~1500 ppm during lights on via cap ppm-3.

Ducted sealed hoods using a 6" vortex to pull from outside the space through the hoods and back out of the space.

I also have a dehumidifier in the 4x7 space.

The space is not air-conditioned, however the fan cooling the lights is pulling air from a room that is air-conditioned and stays about 70F.

The only things in the space are the lights, dehu, fans and air pumps.

Temps in the space can get up to 90+F, if the dehu was running constantly during lights on, which it does not.

Temps with dehumidifier on:
Lights on=~85F
Lights off=~75F
Temps with dehumidifier off:
Lights on=~75F
Lights off=~70F

Sealed air cooled hoods are great for letting you really get the most out of your lights IMO, especially if using 600W or smaller lights and movers. I haven't used 1k's yet . Ive seen some using insulated ducting to vent their lights with.

In my case with my setup it would be counter productive to insulate the ducting though.

I use the air being drawn from the cooled space to help regulate my grow space temps. I designed it this way, I actually have two 6" intake ducts that T to cool the 2 600's inline >=-=-=.

Still trying to get it dialed in that last little bit, but I'm very close with the environment for this setup. CF

Last edited: