What's new

Small Drip Emitter System Pump

kuaikuaide

Hi all,

I have put together a drip system with 6, 1/2 GPH pressure compensated drip emitters for a few plants in coco. The original pump I was using was a 400 GPH mag drive pump, but it was thoroughly unable to deliver enough pressure to open the netafilm emitters. I tried purchasing a seaflo series 21 diaphragm pump which can produce enough pressure, but the output is a 3/8" barb. All of my tubing is nominal 1/2" polyethylene which is actually 0.6" ID (you usually have to use fittings like perma-loc in order to connect to polyethylene in my experience). Does anyone have a good pump for small volume, high (10-30psi) pressure pumps or an idea of how to connect polyethylene tubing to 3/8" barb?

Also, I was looking at 12v 5A power supplies for the seaflo pump, online the vast majority of them are $15-20 no name power supplies. There are a few legitimate brand power supplies but they are rather expensive by comparison, anyone have experience with the safety of the standard amazon 12v power supply? Don't want to mess around with electrical safety but also don't want to spend $40+ on a little power supply.

Thank you!

ledtime

Hi all,

I have put together a drip system with 6, 1/2 GPH pressure compensated drip emitters for a few plants in coco. The original pump I was using was a 400 GPH mag drive pump, but it was thoroughly unable to deliver enough pressure to open the netafilm emitters. I tried purchasing a seaflo series 21 diaphragm pump which can produce enough pressure, but the output is a 3/8" barb. All of my tubing is nominal 1/2" polyethylene which is actually 0.6" ID (you usually have to use fittings like perma-loc in order to connect to polyethylene in my experience). Does anyone have a good pump for small volume, high (10-30psi) pressure pumps or an idea of how to connect polyethylene tubing to 3/8" barb?

Also, I was looking at 12v 5A power supplies for the seaflo pump, online the vast majority of them are $15-20 no name power supplies. There are a few legitimate brand power supplies but they are rather expensive by comparison, anyone have experience with the safety of the standard amazon 12v power supply? Don't want to mess around with electrical safety but also don't want to spend $40+ on a little power supply.

Thank you!

I have a $20 power supply from Amazon that I still have and use on a shurflo diaphragm pump. No issues ever. I put another post up that has a link to an adjustable water pressure regulator that really dialed in my drip system.

LostTribe

Premium user
Do not attempt to use limiting drip emitters with any sort of nutrient solution. They will never feed the same rate of water and they will clog very very quickly, use open ended tubing/hose. A small pond pump, some 1/2 in pvc pipe and an orbit sprinkler head drip manifold kit is all that is needed. orbit hose should be staked above grade and left open ended. You'll need a digital short cycle timer.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-8-Port-Adjust-Flow-Manifold-1-Tag-68000/202314129

they sell a kit at lowes but you can just buy the hose and stakes seperate.

LostTribe

Premium user
Are you talking about large containers and a large count because a 400gph pump and 1/2 in tubing is way too big for "a couple coco plants". Either way, drip emitters are worthless you need to runoff coco anyway. I've tried emitters and they all failed. For large plants a 1/2in halo or drip ring would be what to look for.

3/8" Barb x 1/2" NPT Male Connector
Irritec Perma-Loc Tubing Male Pipe Threads Adapter Thread Size: 1/2" MPT Perma-Loc Size: 1/2"
PVC Threaded Coupling - 1/2"

if you are using FloraFlex parts:

MICRO DRIP | 16-17 MM PIPE FITTING | 3/4" MALE ADAPTOR
3/8" Barb to 3/4" Male Thread
PVC Threaded Coupling - 3/4"

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Slip some 3/8th hose over your 3/8th barb, to fatten in up a bit. Then chuck the annoying hard pipe away, and use hosepipe for potable water. Must be for potable water or you will be feeding them toxic water. Plasticisers and heavy metals leach out of standard hose, especially when we leave our solutions in there getting warm for hours.

The typical psu has a good chance of not powering up with such motor loads. They can't ramp up to 12v quickly enough, so drop into protect. Also, you need a timer capable of switching a HID. Many timers will weld trying to start up a computer supply. I found both of these facts surprising, but have seen it a few times. Your best bet is to run the 12v constantly and have a 12v timer.

A PSU that won't start up, will soon reveal itself. A bad timer though, might take a while before it empties your tank. There are plenty of good timers though, and a 'contactor' for lighting wouldn't be a bad idea if you are limited to few timer choices.

The little seaflow I got worked a few times, then went in the bin. The valve head warped and it stopped pumping. It was far far too noisy anyway. I would get something like the 24v 660a with supplied psu. Hell.. I have one here already. Much quieter and more reliable design, with PSU that will certainly work. A have a minute timer thread somewhere, where it's a 10$ item. I think a relay in a box that calls itself a contactor is about 25$ if you get it all from ali

If you fancy the pump you have, look for an old computer PSU. Even the smallest atx unit can supply about 15amps. You may got one for free. IIRC there is only one green wire, and it needs grounding to bring on the 12v lines. I will check that for you if needs be.

Don't forget some anti-siphon measures might be needed. Again, I have threads up. I will find them if you struggle

CrushnYuba

There are allot of different sizes of 1/2 drip tube. Every brand is slightly different. It is not really 1/2" and they don't use fractions to measure it. They measure it to the hundredth. Like i think most of my stuff is .710. Whatever brand tube u got, use that brand fitting that is for drip tube on one side and some type of threaded on the other. Then take that to a small hardware store with the pump and they will give you some bushings to connect to a stub piece of 3/8" tube. Do it there. Not all 3/8" tube fits the same. Some will leak, some will be almost impossible to get onto the barb. It's weird.
Just get one of those no name power supplies that look like a metal cage for like 15$. They have fans so they stay cool. They seem to last indefinitely when oversized. They are 10a-30a. The ones that look like laptop supplies aren't good for motors.

I don't know why everyone is anti emitter in this forum. It's pretty standard stuff here in California. Standard in agriculture. We have no issues. I imagine it's because they are growing in tents with these little pond pumps that don't provide any pressure. Would struggle to make it through a filter, let alone a pc emitter. But i don't know anyone using a pond pump. It would be a nightmare to run open lines. As i thought about it, i realized maybe they are onto something. I have never grown 6 plants in a tent.

perhaps with only 6 plants 2gph emitters may be undersized. 6 x .5gph = .05 gpm. Your pump might cycle a good bit. You didn't mention the pump size. U might have to use a bigger emitter like the netafim 6.6gph woodpeckers.