What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

sm90 and hydroguard

G

greenhornets

Can sm-90 and hydroguard be used together in the same reservoir? The guy at the hydro store said they would be benificial. Is this true?

mister c

damn hustlers...

damn hustlers...

The guy at the hydro store is an asshole. And just trying to take you for your cash. The only thing that would still be working is the sm-90 cancelling out the hydroguard the second they mix, killing the hydroguard.

Hydroguard is a biological water treatment. Which is packed full of beneficial bacteria. Which are living organisms. Then the beneficials have to out compete the pathogens for food source to be effective.

Sm-90 will kill off ANY living organisms, beneficial or not. Sounds scary, but sm-90 is actually the shit! If you want healthy, pathogen free plants, then sm-90 is the ticket. I would definately go with sm-90 over hydroguard. I have used both and sm-90 blows it out of the water.

If you have bugs...any bugs...sm-90 will kill them. Foliage or Reservoir. It systemic kills the bugs, causing them to be unable to reproduce. No new bugs=no bugs at all.

If you have brown, unhealthy hydro roots......sm-90 will whiten up their day.

And the stuff is made up of natural plant oils.

These roots went from nasty smelling root rot to white as me. 2ml of sm-90 per gallon on top of regular regime.

ogenko

yup
"NOTE: SM-90 will inhibit beneficial bacterial colonization. If you are trying to promote bacteria growth in your garden, this may not be a desirable additive."
no bennies for you mr. C???

mister c

Yeah, I deal with bennies. But only when I am in soil or coco and NOT having problems. I found out the hard way of trying beneficials in hydro(dwc).

In soil/coco I recommend beneficials for sure. Easy for them to live...

In hydro, you might as well not waste your time, and just be clean and sterile. A little harder for microbes to survive.

G

greenhornets

yes sm 90 , will kill .to another sales person at differnt store ,said it would diffentally kill all or any bacteria.

G

guest5703

Very good knowledge, I needed to hear those things about the hydroguard and SM90 to see how it exactly worked together and it makes sense to me now.

You use SM90 to get rid of bacteria and bugs, then after that process you add more hydroguard in to get back the benis??

greenhornets said:
Can sm-90 and hydroguard be used together in the same reservoir? The guy at the hydro store said they would be benificial. Is this true?

"NOTE: SM-90 will inhibit beneficial bacterial colonization. If you are trying to promote bacteria growth in your garden, this may not be a desirable additive."

Kick him in the nuts.

Hard.

D

DEDHEDFRED

Yes green hornets .......SM-90 will kill off ANY bacteria in your rootzone but as it does it also keeps any bugs from colonizing as well as being a natural growth stimulant and totally prevents root rot cuz that`s why I bought it lotta yrs. ago doin krusty buckets........It`s made from the chrysanthemum plant as I recall.......I just add it @ tsp. per gal. to my rez on a regular basis with no bugs or rootrot and explosive growth every run....As a foliar it supposedly kills mold as well as spidermites , whiteflies , thrips, etc.....I`m not saying it`s the holy grail but with coco that gets so hot and moist during the grow, it`s imperative to keep bugs from having proper environment to thrive in and SM-90`s done that for me......and it smells good too..........Ya`ll take care........DHF.......... :joint: ..........

Last edited:

-=KwarE=-

Even though sm-90 is great stuff and does work well in times of urgency.... I've found SM-90 to be a temporary fix IMO. Prolonged use will cause a wierd yellow film to build up in your hydro system. If you are having root health problems... TRY THIS:

I bought a worm factory off of ebay and compost all my food in it. It works great and i make a worm tea with the liquid that drains off the "worm factory" i add a couple ounces of mollases, 20ml of age old kelp, 12oz of worm juice, and let it bubble with 8gals of water and some heat for 1-3 days... It is INSANE, the amount of foam i get off the bubbler. The bloom from the beneficial bacteria has never made my roots so healthy.... I use it in my cloner too. Keeps the slime from starting. One of the best secrets in organic farming IMHO.

I feel like the aerobic bacteria that blooms in this tea, does the same thing as hydroguard, only it is more active IMHO; because its not bottled like HG. I've added this stuff to 4x4 tables that had tons of leaves in them and unstable ph's..... ive also added it to resevoirs w/ slimy roots and watched it compost the slime and dead roots while protecting the healthy ones. It fights off anything anaerobic and overtakes it with aerobic growth as long as you dont starve it of oxygen. Ive seen really amazing results on everything ive used it on. Specificly in root health alone.

rr14

so does the sm90 work pretty similar to dutchmaster zone? Both kill off the bad stuff right? Which is better?

D

DEDHEDFRED

I can`t speak for DM Zone RR14 but SM-90`s been in my rez`s non-stop for many yrs. with snow white rootzones and I`ve never seen any weird yellow film buildup in my rez`s Kware.....That`s kind of an irresponsible statement since there`s no telling what kinda organic concoction you tried it with in your "times of urgency"....Used at 2.5-5 ml per gal. as a regular part of my mix , I`ve not seen any bugs in any of my grows.....I ran krusty buckets for a longtime and started using it to prevent fungus gnats and in turn it`s kept any and all other critters from developing in my ebb and flow bucket setups as well as my current coco runs .....Used as a foliar it also kills any bugs already present in the rooms plus it attacks and stops powdery mildew as well per Nutrilife`s claims......This is the organic hydro section and this threads probably better suited elsewhere although SM-90`s completely organic made from the Chrysanthemum plant and other plant oil extracts if my memory serves me........It just doesn`t work with all the organic teas and mixtures used in totally organic grows but I use GH 3 part so it`s perfect for my application and will always be part of my weekly feed regimen......Ya`ll take care......DHF........ :joint: .......

D

dongle69

I had my own questions about SM-90:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=101354

I just got the scoop from Nutrilife (makers of sm-90).

SM-90 does not harm or kill beneficial bacteria or enzymes.

So products like Hygrozyme, Cannazym, and Hydroguard are good to go, as well as Mycorrhizal based products.

They said they ran tests so there you go...

D

dongle69

Yeah, just in time.
Now they are pulling Hydroguard off the market in California.

D

dongle69

The usual EPA label BS.
They are saying it has to be registered as a microbial pesticide.
Botanicare isn't committing to the red tape at this point.

U

ureapwhatusow

bghydros site has in the FAQ not to use hydroguard and sm-90 together ..i assume this is misinformation

does hygrozyme create incompatability here?

D

dongle69

ureapwhatusow said:
bghydros site has in the FAQ not to use hydroguard and sm-90 together ..i assume this is misinformation

does hygrozyme create incompatibility here?

Yes, that is misinformation.
No incompatibility with Hygrozyme, either.

Latest posts

Latest posts