What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Cocky

Hi slownickel and all,

I’ve been bumbling along trying to follow organic soilless mixes like LC’s mix and build-a-soil here in oz with local ingredient substitutions. I’ve been getting horrendous results making grave mistakes because of not knowing the science. After reading the first 40 pages of this thread and most of Steve Solomon’s book, “The Intelligent Gardener,” I think my chief mistake has been ignorantly using a kelp extract with 16% K instead of kelp meal with 3% K.

Slow, I take it from what I read here that you disagree a little with Solomon on nutrient levels and balance. I’ve picked up here that S should equal P and Mn should equal Fe. Would you or someone else point me to a post where you’ve given a comprehensive outline of of acceptable ranges of the nutrient levels expressed in mg/L?

I’m wanting to use coco/perlite/worm castings or coco/castings as the substrate. A concern here is using sulphate forms of the base cations in order to keep the ph down. This will put S levels way above P. Is this a problem? Is there an upper limit for S?

I notice that build-a-soil put Langbeinite in their mineral mix for use in coco. This seems counter-intuitive to me as K is much higher in Langbeinite than Mg and coco already has a lot of K. Am I missing something here?

Another question is regarding the AFP of the substrate. The coco I have access to has an AFP of 26.2%. I note also that some grades of peat have an AFP at or above this level. Is this high enough to dispense with the perlite? What level of AFP are we targeting in the final mix?

Thanks in advance,
Boss Cocky

Ca-85.8
Mg-9.4
K-3.7
Na-.94

Buffer pH isn't calculated when the pH is @ 7.

Ca is based on aa@8.2, K and Mg are M3. Na is highest whether m3 or aa@8.2.

Calcium numbers on the m3 tests are over estimated, that is why the USGA started using AA for Ca numbers in the base.

Looking at Hermans results, You need lots of P, Your micro's are crazy high... Cu is way high and Zn is above the normally rec. maximum...

Add P, a touch of K to get to 4.5%, run it and see what happens.

Look folks no gypsum!

@bad fish: tyvm
@gc: Ya, (fill in nicely) i can see it. Ive grown this plant a few times but Ive never had this many bud sites so im thinking i need to be more heads up on nutritional needs through flower.
@ Easy: I try to keep Mg at low/healthy threshold levels. What symptom of lowish Mg caught your attention?
@ VP: Nah, it think it's a pea or maybe a cucurbit. I used BAS clover mix as a cover. This plant is jubilant. Ive cut it back 3-4 times. It's about to throw a flower or two. I'll be able to ID then. Colts foot, very intriguing. I didn't know that plant.

EasyGoing

Second pic, fan leave looks like it has some rust spots. From post #4194 Fan leaf flipped backwards behind your writing of the bottom right. Bulldog has eagle eyes, lol

Very slight, plants look great.

Second pic, fan leave looks like it has some rust spots. From post #4194 Fan leaf flipped backwards behind your writing of the bottom right. Bulldog has eagle eyes, lol

Very slight, plants look great.

Appreciate!

When I brought the vegging plant (cfl) under the flowering light (cobs) it quickly showed issues with Ca/Mg. The jump in par is tremendous. I'm still dialing in this very bright cob rig. This is first run where i swapped out a 4k cob to the 1750K (meat chip).

Thanks for taking a look. I think it's looking like 10-11 weeks hoping that there's a real shot of filling up those sites!

VortexPower420

Veteran
Hermen- Colts foot is a medicinal under story plant in new england. I am sure other places as well. It has a composite flower like Dandelion. I throws up the flower early spring and then the leaves that look like that come in after. Is used for chough.

Your plants look great.

growingcrazy

Appreciate!

When I brought the vegging plant (cfl) under the flowering light (cobs) it quickly showed issues with Ca/Mg. The jump in par is tremendous. I'm still dialing in this very bright cob rig. This is first run where i swapped out a 4k cob to the 1750K (meat chip).

Thanks for taking a look. I think it's looking like 10-11 weeks hoping that there's a real shot of filling up those sites!

Do a foliar of Mg the week before you move to flower next time. Let us know how the move goes afterwards.

Stop using accelerate...trust me, just period do it

Yo J,

Finally remembering to ask you what lies behind that admonition.

For a while accelerate was top woo juice. Kempf' s video about it is persuasive as all get out.

"And I forget if you have accelerate but if you do replace a foliar at bud onset with 10.5 ounces per 1000 sq ft of Accelerate (fire in a bottle as me buddy byf says."*

*milky from AEA thread

New woo in town.
http://purecrop1.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/PureCrop1-Product-Information-Final-7.pdf
purecrop-1-half-gallon-1000x1000.jpg

I gotta go with fuck that shit if testing is any part of your future

Any idea of the science they are utilizing with that product?

"superior quality micelles are created as a result of a process in which natural ingredients, including corn & palm oil, fatty acids, organic alcohol and amino acids, all extracts of natural plants, are blended at specific time intervals, temperatures and sequences, which causes such compounds

to be transformed into new particles, which are "colloidal micelles."

If I got a sample I would test it on a troublesome plant.

There are a few folks at Thc and RIU praising this stuff. I think it's a recently introduced product so there isnt much experience posted out there. Based on my casual survey of stoner sites PureCrop1 is up and coming in the woo game.

jidoka

I call it pos Amish engineering

If it ain’t soluble I ain’t spraying it is my last word on anything.

Do what you want. Adios

djonkoman

Veteran
Any idea of the science they are utilizing with that product?

"superior quality micelles are created as a result of a process in which natural ingredients, including corn & palm oil, fatty acids, organic alcohol and amino acids, all extracts of natural plants, are blended at specific time intervals, temperatures and sequences, which causes such compounds

to be transformed into new particles, which are "colloidal micelles."

If I got a sample I would test it on a troublesome plant.

There are a few folks at Thc and RIU praising this stuff. I think it's a recently introduced product so there isnt much experience posted out there. Based on my casual survey of stoner sites PureCrop1 is up and coming in the woo game.

that sounds like bullshit to me...
reminds me of when I saw an ad on tv recently, it was an ad for some soapy product(shampoo or cleaning stuff or so), advertising it contains 'micelles'(well, duh, everything soapy does).

I have no idea what they want with micelles in this case, but micelles are in everything soapy.
they're just bubbles of soap molecules, with the hydrophobic tails(which are fatty acids) pointed inwards, away from the water around the micelle/bubble, and the hydrophilic head of the soap molecules points to the water around it, creating a round bubble-shape.

but I can't figure out what they want these soapbubbles to do to plants, what benefit would it have?
my guess is they just used those words for marketing, and hope no one knows what it means.
(btw, I get an error from chrome that the linked site from that product isn't safe, and the top link on google doesn't work at all, so I'm basing this just on that quote here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts