What's new

Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnold.

Thanks for showing us the ropes slownickel!
I'm new here. Spent about 3 days going through all the information and you got me convinced trying it out.
Congrats to all involved on the cup victories!

Already have gypsum and the Zn, Mn, Cu sulfates. Will start my lemon enzymes any day now.
What I don’t yet have is an accurate soil test.
I want to sent a hybrid medium to spectrum, I’ll ask for the K-3 procedure by mail.
I’m also an avid gardener. Fruit, vegetables and ornamantels. The soil I have is black sandy soil, with a decent OM %. I mulch with compost, leaves and wood chips. Irrigation is rain water: low EC, slighty acid. Should I better order the K-3 procedure for my garden samples as well? Since the S3 doesn’t seem to use the AA@8.2 for the calcium levels.
Next, spectrum says to take a sample of the top 7 inches, Tiedjens calls for 3 feet. Quiet a difference. Which method would you recommend?
And when I sent them in, should I kindly ask ‘to add them to the snownickel database’?

I did test my soil previous year using Logan’s. I now know that this was not the best choice.
I did however find out I got way too high numbers of aluminium and iron.
Concerning the iron: should I add as much Mn sulfate to get aprox 0.8 Fe/Mn ratio? I’m afraid to harm my soil with those quantities. I guess I should add those quantities, but split them in a lot of smaller applications over let’s say 3 years, right?

Any thing I can do about the aluminium? I read about the toxity problems on alkaline soils. So I guess, stay clear of (excess) calciumcarbonates and don’t add more aluminium?

My soil test:

55RQcae.png

Cheers from Belgium!

Arnold.

EasyGoing

No idea what Slow will say, other than get a Spectrum test. I would love to give it a try, but don't take anything I say as truth.

The MN for sure should be raised. You can bump that number up to 100ppms or more, but not 386ppms, that is high. Try not to add any more Fe during this crop, and those numbers will even out. I would calculate a dose of Mn to achieve 100ppms overall, then I would water weekly with metals as well, making sure to keep out Fe. Your boron must be raised as well, you want those numbers closer to 4-8ppms, but Logan always under represents those numbers, so be careful.

I would also like to see the Ca numbers being over 3000ppms. With some gypsum that might bring your PH down to the 6.4- 6.8 range.

Now lets hear what the pros have to say?

Lots of room to fertilize. Looks great to me!

EasyGoing

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate it. I still am kinda in shock over the whole thing. I really didn't see it coming. I wasn't even at the award ceremonies lol. Big thanks to slow N you are a good man and I appreciate you. You as well easygoing you have given me a lot of encouagment the last couple years and it is also very much appreciated.

Two reasons I lay on the encouragement thick:

One: you guys are up in bum fook nowhere, and it's hard to judge just how good you guys are with very little competition. This will change next year when you can bring your product to market, but you needed a boost IMO to get that confidence. I mean, you even said you didn't see it coming....... Well, I did. I bet my friend 10-1 odds you guys would win....... And it was a sure bet. I believe in you guys, you guys are special.

Two: You guys represent good things. You guys have a family, grow with ethics, and are truly good guys. I have meet so many people in this industry, and so many people are just not good people. I never once felt that way around you guys, you guys are true, genuine people that personify the heart of the cannabis industry. I can't wait till I see Lassen farms on the super bowl commercials. That is how much confidence I have in you guys. You know I am willing to put my money where my mouth is, and guys, I have a huge opportunity coming. That 10k greenhouse is nothing compared to my new breaking news in my county. Details to come...... You guys will be set either way, and I will be a fan. Can't wait until Lassen farms are on the top shelve of my dispensary!

hey are there any pictures to be seen anywhere of all this gold you gentleman are speaking so highly about??

You can check out my IG account and I have some good videos of the cup and pics of my product. What kind of picture are you looking for? @HazyBulldogFarms Otherwise let me know what type of pictures and I will try to post for you.

Arnold.

Thanks for the comment EasyGoing.

I am aware that I need a spectrum report. Hence my questions about the S3 or K3, the dept of the taken sample and the snownickel database.
I probably should have mailed the spectrum staff instead, but wanted to communicate as clearly as possible with them.

Previous year I did indeed add borax and some Mn sulfate already. Unfortunately I did also apply Magnesium and Sodium. I was reading Astera. Big fault, I understand now.

Thanks a lot for your take on the Fe/Mn. I did indeed feel the same about it intuitively.

EasyGoing

I like to take samples at 6", 12" and 24". No reason to go deeper in beds and smart pots. K3 package for sure. I asked for the spectrum crew to add my results to SlowN's folder. That way he can run it into his Excel and give you better results.

Found this fun, pertains to evolution but interesting to hear about the genesis of fungi.
https://youtu.be/2M71X-dspU4

~star~crash~

easy >>> i can't find the cup winners on your IG account ...what we want to see is pics of the emerald cup winners products in whatever categories... we need to see what is considered and judged to be the best ...peace and good growing

EasyGoing

Cup winner was all Lassen boys, and they won c02 pen concentrate so the picture may not capture the awesome. I have a box and a cart handy, pics in a few.

Edit: I made a video, and I am in the process of uploading it to IG. ICmag is kind of a pain when dealing with high quality photos and videos.

Last edited:

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the comment EasyGoing.

I am aware that I need a spectrum report. Hence my questions about the S3 or K3, the dept of the taken sample and the snownickel database.
I probably should have mailed the spectrum staff instead, but wanted to communicate as clearly as possible with them.

Previous year I did indeed add borax and some Mn sulfate already. Unfortunately I did also apply Magnesium and Sodium. I was reading Astera. Big fault, I understand now.

Thanks a lot for your take on the Fe/Mn. I did indeed feel the same about it intuitively.

Arnold,

If you are in a medium, take handfulls from down deep, middle and top, mix well and then sift lightly to only get what falls out. Do not grind the sample into the screen.

The logic is not to grind the big pieces.

Ask for the K-3.

And welcome!

Arnold.

He slownickel,

What if I'm not in a medium, but a garden bed instead?
sample till 24'' inches and K3?

The soil I have is black sandy soil, with a decent 6.3 OM %, 6.9 pH. I mulch with compost, leaves and wood chips.

I gotcha on the sieving.

Thanks for the welcome!

I have a feeling I am going to enjoy my stay :tiphat:

plantingplants

Congrats GreenHands!!! And congrats to easygoing too for getting a booth and a brand up and hittin it so hard. Wish I had been there now!

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
He slownickel,

What if I'm not in a medium, but a garden bed instead?
sample till 24'' inches and K3?

The soil I have is black sandy soil, with a decent 6.3 OM %, 6.9 pH. I mulch with compost, leaves and wood chips.

I gotcha on the sieving.

Thanks for the welcome!

I have a feeling I am going to enjoy my stay :tiphat:

Get the K-1 if it is not a medium.

If you see the soil at 24 to 30 inches changes color from your darker soil to that of another color, you may want to run 2 samples. A 1-10 inches and another at 10 and below. The idea is to see what your subsoil is made of. If the color changes at 14 inches, then go to 1-14 inches for your topsoil sample and another of the subsoil of 14-25 inches or so.

What you have growing there?

Arnold.

Alright. Thanks.
I need to get auger out :)
But if I recall correctly the sand changes from black to yellow at about 30 inches

I have different beds. One that I changed to an organic bed 8 years ago. The native soil really needs a high OM percentage and mulch if you want to grow without big hassles.
Otherwise you need to water often plus the fertilizer washes out.

One that I'm converting right now. It was part of a cornfield one season ago.

On both I grow fruit and vegetables. Just because I love it.
I am a keen collector of all the different fruit species that you can grow in our climate. That is: winters that can go to -4F, a lot of rain, relatively short season 52N.
I have plenty of fruits of the rubus family. Grapes, kiwi's, persimons, asimina pawpaw, pears, apples, plums, apricots, peaches, hawthorne, mulberry, strawberry, ...

But it is work in progress. Most of the plants are fairly young and need to grow before production really starts.

I will also sent in a sample of the soil of one of the guerilla garden patches I have for cannabis. That's native soil without compost, just the mearl, kelp, rock dust and dried manure of the previous guerilla seasons.

Cheers!

Arnold.

led05

Chasing The Present
Alright. Thanks.
I need to get auger out :)
But if I recall correctly the sand changes from black to yellow at about 30 inches

I have different beds. One that I changed to an organic bed 8 years ago. The native soil really needs a high OM percentage and mulch if you want to grow without big hassles.
Otherwise you need to water often plus the fertilizer washes out.

One that I'm converting right now. It was part of a cornfield one season ago.

On both I grow fruit and vegetables. Just because I love it.
I am a keen collector of all the different fruit species that you can grow in our climate. That is: winters that can go to -4F, a lot of rain, relatively short season 52N.
I have plenty of fruits of the rubus family. Grapes, kiwi's, persimons, asimina pawpaw, pears, apples, plums, apricots, peaches, hawthorne, mulberry, strawberry, ...

But it is work in progress. Most of the plants are fairly young and need to grow before production really starts.

I will also sent in a sample of the soil of one of the guerilla garden patches I have for cannabis. That's native soil without compost, just the mearl, kelp, rock dust and dried manure of the previous guerilla seasons.

Cheers!

Arnold.

Try some Serviceberry/Juneberry, it's a good add to your above list, they are beautiful trees & very tasty fruit (blueberry size with a taste of blueberry and almond almost, hard to describe) and will be your first fruit of each year and perfect for your latitude and growing area it seems like

led05

Chasing The Present
Two reasons I lay on the encouragement thick:

Two: You guys represent good things. You guys have a family, grow with ethics, and are truly good guys. I have meet so many people in this industry, and so many people are just not good people. I never once felt that way around you guys, you guys are true, genuine people that personify the heart of the cannabis industry. I can't wait till I see Lassen farms on the super bowl commercials. That is how much confidence I have in you guys. You know I am willing to put my money where my mouth is, and guys, I have a huge opportunity coming. That 10k greenhouse is nothing compared to my new breaking news in my county. Details to come...... You guys will be set either way, and I will be a fan. Can't wait until Lassen farms are on the top shelve of my dispensary!

You can check out my IG account and I have some good videos of the cup and pics of my product. What kind of picture are you looking for? @HazyBulldogFarms Otherwise let me know what type of pictures and I will try to post for you.

Congrats gentleman, it's nice to see those willing to remain humble, willing to put in the hard-work, able to keep an open mind and always growing with their growing, it always will pay off !

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Arnold,

According to Logans' results, you don't need Calcium.

Anyone care to make a bet?

Who knows, maybe we will see a soil for the first time where there is no response to the right form of Calcium.

Can't wait to see the results from Spectrum!

Belgium. That is a first for me!

Arnold.

Try some Serviceberry/Juneberry, it's a good add to your above list, they are beautiful trees & very tasty fruit (blueberry size with a taste of blueberry and almond almost, hard to describe) and will be your first fruit of each year and perfect for your latitude and growing area it seems like

Oh yes! Amelanchier. I love that plant.
The abundance of early flowers, the sprouting of the soft red young leaves, the shape of the 'tree'. The autumn colors. A true beauty!

Great recommendation!
But these are not the very first. That is Lonicera caerulea var. kamtschatica. I assume you know these as well.

Arnold.

Samples are drying. I'll sieve them next week.
The color changed abruptly at around 18'' (45cm), so I will sent in a sample of the yellow subsoil as well.
Then I'll add some pics.

Belgium is small as well :)
I get the impression I'm the only Belgian fella active on cannabis boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.