What's new

Slow Trichome Development

PoorDad

Need some input. I'm not new to growing. I've never experienced this and I'm a little unsure how to proceed.

I've got a Cookies Gelato from Royal Queen Seeds. It's an auto flowering seed. I'm at week 11/12 of flower. This strain is supppsed to be done in 8--9 weeks. From what I'm seeing through my lens, I've probably got 80--90% fully clouded trichs. Some have clear stalks still. I only see, at best, 1% amber trichs. I always go by trichomes to determine when I should harvest. I usually wait for around 5% amber heads.

I am looking at the bud and not the sugar leaves. I am looking at the top cola and the surrounding tops. Not looking at low or shadowed branches.

Pistols are all red. No new white pistols developing. Buds don't seam to be packing on weight or bulking up anymore. They did, obviously, but they don't seam to be getting any fatter or filling in the gaps anymore.

The fan leaves are all brown. Bottom fan leaves are slowly turning crunchy.

Should I chop her?

Everything I see tells me she's done, except I don't see enough amber trichs and they aren't developing. Do some strains NOT fade to amber when they are ready?

20240428_115105.jpg
20240428_115210.jpg
20240428_115217.jpg
20240428_115228.jpg
20240428_115236.jpg

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Probably genetics.

The pic below is from a Royal Queen Seeds White Widow, small plant has almost 10 weeks and see no roots bounding it. Still in this half gallon pot because there is no reason to repot it.
There is a guy in the Italian forum also having problems with bad genetics from this breeder. In growdiaries.com also the same issue with RQS.

I already had these plants with no issues, but the last year may had be a bad one inside their facilities.

I still did not discard HLVd, this plant is under quarantine.
View media item 18717705

kro-magnon

Veteran
Probably genetics.

The pic below is from a Royal Queen Seeds White Widow, small plant has almost 10 weeks and see no roots bounding it. Still in this half gallon pot because there is no reason to repot it.
There is a guy in the Italian forum also having problems with bad genetics from this breeder. In growdiaries.com also the same issue with RQS.

I already had these plants with no issues, but the last year may had be a bad one inside their facilities.

I still did not discard HLVd, this plant is under quarantine.
View media item 18717705
I know clones can spread HLVd but I don't think it can come through seeds

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
I know clones can spread HLVd but I don't think it can come through seeds
Yes, it can, not inside the seeds, in the shells.

Up to 5 weeks in any contaminated surface, including the seed packs, and that's how little we know so far. If a person is taking clones from a sick plant, then he manipulates seeds with a contaminated glove, it goes from a place to another. That's why they call it Cannabis Covid.

But if I was sure that's what it was, I would have thrown the plant away. Since I'm not sure, just suspicious, I'm keeping it in quarantine, isolated from the others. I have plants from 4 different breeders and the RQS are the only ones with problems.

Better safe than sorry.

kro-magnon

Veteran
OK thank you for the future paranoia with under performing plants in my grows:eek: It's still quite improbable as you need very specific things to occur to be contaminated via seeds.

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
You are welcome!

That's why practically no country in the world allows seeds to enter its territory without prior analysis by the agricultural or biological authority.

You have to be "paranoid" to prevent diseases from spreading around the world.

If China had been isolated from the rest of the world in 2019, no one would have had to stay at home counting deaths around the world.

I'm just trying to construct a rationale of thinking for the thread creator.

In short: Perhaps the trichome problem was also caused by some bad breeding within RQS. Nothing systematic, maybe the other seeds in the packet deliver better plants.
In my case, I sanitized the remaining seeds and I'm seeing a plant grow normally.

Plant from clean seed:
View media item 18717701

Latest posts

Latest posts