What's new

Slow growth in my DWC tub

jm420

Veteran
your making it more confusing than it really is DWC grows fast but give them a couple days with out changing stuff daily. 68 F perfect 300- 400 ppms @ .05 perfecyt ,Ph around 6.0 perfect.Give them a few days like that youll be good.I still dont think you need an air gap though .dont look at them every 10 minutes either its kind of like waiting for a pot of water to boil

Scrogerman

Veteran
Great advice BG,JM, i'll say if you dont get the new roots in the solution itself, then the plants will stall untill they reach it(The feeder roots that search downward). So as you can see, if you think you have a well established root thing going on then yeah go for the airgap by all means, but if you have barely any roots sitting in the solution then you will get that growth stall. Keep the level high untill you have an established root zone. just my 20p

DOWNLOW

I agree with JM420, I'm also new to dwc, stop changing things so much and be patient, put the water line of the solution right on the bottom of the net pots and raise the temp to 68*. When first transplanted into dwc it took a few weeks before I got what I wanted to happen due to shock, and me continuously tweaking and messing with it. Remember be patient b/c once it starts it explodes and itKll keep you pretty busy.

Good Luck.

Scrogerman

Veteran
days if you get it right, a flush of new growth will occur, keep roots in solution & temp at 68-70f, should see big improvement in 3-5 days. What nute line did you say you were using man?, id stear away from organics myself, go with a mineral based fert & use h2o2 untill you get things ironed out, its a pretty simple way for good results. or just your nutes & a root stim, just be patient man. if your PH,EC & temps are good theres a good chance they'll just take off any time, just keep those root tips in the solution bro. G'Luck!

dgkish

no it should take a few days to adjust. if you keep ppms low and EASE the plant into them they should do fine. they are babies. feed them like babies.

growth is exponential....if you can get it started.

cheers,
dgk

jm420

Veteran
i 100% agree with the organics
Kind of funny though this ? has been asked before ,Then the next? gonna be when to flower cuz they are growing to quick LOL

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
i need help with mine my thread link is below. please help me.

What do you have your cuttings rooted in?

Your roots need to have access to solution to remain viable.

However, you can't saturate your rooting media, and at first look, it appears that you have set your rooting media at the bottom of the net pots.

Another way of saying this: The clay pellets are sufficiently porous to allow a constant flow of fresh oxygenated (I presume you are bubbling this DWC) solution through them. Or: they flow super fast. The media you use to root by design has a different moisture profile, that is, it is designed to retain moisture to create a localized damp zone for initial rooting.

If you allow solution to hit your rooting media, it will super saturate the rooting media, and create a unfriendly environment for the roots (essentially smothering/drowning them).

The classic solution to this challenge is to place the wicking media on top of the hydro media, and top feed while the roots are establishing themselves into the DWC.

This, sadly does not help you, as you are already in your little net pots with the rooting media in the bottom. Trying to move them up will probably do more damage than good.

I would suggest something like:

Keep your PPM and temps at the levels recommended by all posters above (i.e. 68ish, 600ish)...

Sacrifice that top, and re-cutting your holes to a larger size plus a larger net cup with clay balls. Set your current cups half way down into that media, and either adjust the water level to bring water close to the roots you have or set up an indirect top feed drip/dedicated hand water until roots are established. Or something like that...

Your goal is to rig something up to keep the roots wet but the rooter out contact with the solution.

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
but drop the ass out of D'O levels & you know thats pretty important in DWC
The warmer the water gets the lower ratio of D'O not the other way around..Cold water will not encourage growth it will stunt it.

The water level really doesn't matter as long as you have alot of air bubbles this alone should be enough to keep the mass of roots "fed" untill they hit the water..

I agree with BG keep you temps in between 65-68 degrees. you said you were starting ppm range at 125 right? When i said your temps are to high i meant you really have no control over it because of the light.It wont only screw with roots(light leaks), it will also fluctuate water temps as the light warms the container. now that you have her covered you should be fine.

so a good ppm range would be in between 500-600. Thats a crappy starting ppm(125) but workable.

Then let it ride.. leave them alone for a few days and check for growth

Organics is really for people that have this technique mastered.. I would also change your nute lineup to something easy like GH. Howeer if you feel confident, use what you have. If you noticing yellowing bump the nutes slightly..give it 3-5 days.. dont expect instant changes.

Last edited:

Scrogerman

Veteran
The warmer the water gets the lower ratio of D'O not the other way around..Cold water will not encourage growth it will stunt it.

Agreed, Cold water temps will stop root growth in its tracks if its cold enough, It works both ways with Temps & D'O as far as i know, D'O levels will decrease as temps drop under 65f, especially in the 50-60 range, there would be barly any D'O. The same of 80f & above. There is a sweet spot tempreture that D'O is at 'optimal dilution' in solution, i would say 68-72f as optimal temp for max D'O, 30-100ppms i believe is good, you can buy test strips to test D'O levels. Another good reason to use H2o2 imo, really boosts that O2 level in the root zone. Very handy stuff! G'Luck!

D'O, along with all other gases increase in water as the temp goes down. salts and solids will increase as the water temp rises. thats why we can BOIL out chlorine gas from water, and why the sugar wont dissolve in your ice tea. this is why there is a small range of water temps in hydro. too cold and the nutes will start to precipitate out of the solution and roots starve. too hot and the D'O drops too low and roots drown. normal range for hydro should be 65-75f with 68-72f being optimal.
think imaginaryfriend made a good point, you dont want your rooting media touching the water, this will create an area of high moisture and low D'O causing root rot.
keep a lil bit of an air gap from the rooting media and the water esp if you are using rockwool, that stuff needs to breath.
keep us posted and good luck
HA

Vdub818

should have stated in last post but H2O2 is normally use at 1teaspoon/gal (5ml/4l)
125ppm tap is nice! wish mine was like that, my tap comes out around 350ppm :p
from what i remember Chronic is a good feeder, so doesnt look like its a feeding issue.
were the roots that developed when you put them in the tub? it could be that the plant is still getting enough roots into the rez to take advantage of being in hydro? maybe give them a couple more days to allow the roots to get longer and you should start to see an explosion of growth.

keep us posted
HA

If you think thats nice, how bout my 63 ppm tap water. Still run my water through a grow only pur filter

i set the chiller to 65 f and still keep the 1" air gap under the netcup each plant has its own air stone under each netcup.

I'll give another pic update on the 27th.

well i cheeked the roots again today and guess what?

there is no root growth at all as a matter of fact there are less roots.

OKAY now im going to start over with 3.75" netcups using GH micro and bloom lucas starting @ 300 ppms 0.5.

will also buy a whole new tote and new res, new air stones and water pump and clean the shit out of them with bleach.

Im about ready to give up on DWC if this does not work :covereyes:

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
...You dont want your rooting media touching the water, this will create an area of high moisture and low D'O causing root rot. keep a lil bit of an air gap from the rooting media and the water esp if you are using rockwool, that stuff needs to breathe.

True story.

You need to find a way to set up your system that will keep the rooting media away from solution, but get your roots into it.

How?

You can set your current nets on a new net of clay, and change your water level such that the solution gets pushed into the new pot, but not into the old.

Or you could try and carefully remove most of your rooting media away from the roots and keep running it as you are.

From a distance, there is nothing wrong with your system other than this one detail.

If you have access to rooted clones, you would probably be successful just replacing what you have and putting the clay pellets on the bottom.

Promised Pics?

Do your clones look healthy enough to even try and salvage them?

You have the DWC set up. You've invested in a chiller. Give it another run?

(This is coming from someone with a $600 chiller sitting on a shelf, beside countless water and air pumps and plumbing. I'm in coco now. 'Cause I don't want to cry and cry over another lost crop. It'll dehydrate you, all that crying.)

jm420

Veteran
All the op does is fuck with it that why nothings happenning,Bottom line, no more no less ,In 3 weeks my plants are 2 feet tall .FEED them RIGHT ,and good liting is all you need plants that age shouold be in flower by now .THe op is making DWC as difficult as it can be /Patience grasshopper
BTW BLunt can you ook me up to see your grow all I get is an X outta site outta mind
Thats as ghetto as it gets
This happens with research and patience

jm420

Veteran
All the op does is fuck with it that why nothings happenning,Bottom line, no more no less ,In 3 weeks my plants are 2 feet tall .FEED them RIGHT ,and good liting is all you need plants that age shouold be in flower by now .THe op is making DWC as difficult as it can be /Patience grasshopper
BTW BLunt can you ook me up to see your grow all I get is an X outta site outta mind
Thats as ghetto as it gets
This happens with research and patience

Latest posts

Latest posts