What's new

Sleepy Hollow Canyon-2011

G

guest8905

i know today was very warm here as well. It made hours of digging that much worse lol, but now i feel great, nothing like a good sweat in the daytime to feel relaxed at night.

nice list. good to see some rom going

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
i know today was very warm here as well. It made hours of digging that much worse lol, but now i feel great, nothing like a good sweat in the daytime to feel relaxed at night.

nice list. good to see some rom going

Dude, yer tuffer than me...i I dug til 1:00) and said good enough for today and went straight to a morphine drip...! lol Havent grown the Romulan before, lookin forward to seein what she does...CC

lg2004

from what ive seen of romulan, my grape romulan and a timewarp X romulan, is that they are great! very classic bud structure with nice colas. GDP is one of a kind as well, havent got rid of my GDP in over 3 years since i got it. too important to me to lose haha. looks like you got some nice thanksgiving dinner walking around there.

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
from what ive seen of romulan, my grape romulan and a timewarp X romulan, is that they are great! very classic bud structure with nice colas. GDP is one of a kind as well, havent got rid of my GDP in over 3 years since i got it. too important to me to lose haha. looks like you got some nice thanksgiving dinner walking around there.

hey lg...welcome back! Yea, never heard any complaints about the Romulan. A few years back I know it was pretty popular. The GDP IMO, is a standard. Not a foo foo or an exotic: A quintessential easy grower, heavy duty, industrial strength and almost bullet proof choice for med folks everywhere...at least it should be... Right now, Thanksgiving seems sooo far away, if ya know what I mean...lol CC

E

Eatatjoes

Romulan is one of my favorites for late evening smoke, very relaxing both mind and body.

lg2004

yeah GDP is an all time favorite for me with a one of a kind smell that is definetely noticeable if its the true GDP. i made a cross with it and a hawgsbreathe male but have yet to pop those seeds. im sure you can make an acception and have an early turkey din haha.

The Revolution

Veteran
picture.php

NICE PIC! Thanks for sharing

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Spring planting prep continues in earnest. I'm using a combination of soil removed from the holes and Sunshine #4. I prefer Pro-Mix but my soil connection stopped carrying the P-M and I didnt feel like running all over town tryin to track it down. The Sunshine #4 is comparable and so on I go.

As previously mentioned, the native soil is extremely rocky. So I devised a rock screen/mud box system to clean the dirt while being able to mix the fertilizer, #4 and native soil all at the same time. Surprisingly efficient. I say that 'cause a lot of my improvisations end up a waste of time. LOL Some folks say I get a bit little carried away but when I come up with an easier way to do something, it usually involves building a contraption of some kind...

It should be noted I just have a thing about using native soil(old schooler) and I obviously accept the associated hassles.LOL And it saves a couple of bucks by reducing the amount of the expensive bag soils which IMO, are overpriced and frequently overrated. Mostly, I just like working with Ma Nature's stuff...

picture.php

The screen is set up to catch the seined dirt inside the box while at the same time, letting the rock and debris tumble off outside the box.

picture.php

"In the field" -
I'm primarily using horse dukey for my vegging fertilizer. A dry mix in the hole and a tea thru the entire veg stage. I keep my soil & nutrient process simple. I dont get all bogged down with over analyzing and getting all grower anal. I leave that for those who thrive in the arena of complexity or are just plain gluttons for punishment and suckers for snake oil grow remedies...

picture.php

The "mud box" principal is as old as time itself. Fill it, rake to one end and back to the other. I built this one 5ft long x 3ft wide so I can move it from hole to hole easily. BTW, I have a small concrete mixer Ive used in the past but getting it down in the Hollow would have been a bitch. LOL The screen and box can be set close to the dirt from the hole, everything mixed and shoveled or bucketed back into the hole fairly conveniently if ya dont mind a little hard work...
picture.php

Once the native soil is screened, the Sunshine #4 and horse dukey are added. I use a 2/3 Sunshine-1/3 native soil and some serious shovel fulls of pony poop. The screen is tilted out of the way and the mixing can begin.
picture.php

A little about my fertilizer: I tumble it in my cement mixer with a couple good size rocks thrown in to help break it down to a mulch. It is then spread out to dry over several days with periodic raking to fluff. My ponies make this stuff all day long and I'm obliged to put it to good use. It's old school tried n true and I havent found anything more reliable or more organic. It also makes an outstanding tea, IMO.
picture.php

So, let's put it all to work:
picture.php

With a little stubbornness and a great deal of obsessive commitment, my holes ended up right around 3ft x 3ft. A pretty ugly site in the beginning..
picture.php

Hold on, there's a method to my madness...
picture.php

OK, now I got it goin my way...
picture.php

As I mentioned sometime back, I'm not a real fan of seeing big black Smart Pots. Maybe it's the cowboy guerilla in me...
So, now ya see it, now ya dont. That's what I'm talkin 'bout! Another big advantage is less water usage with the pot being set deep...Way lots less...
picture.php

Wanna see it again?
The slope is pretty intense so the low side of some holes needed to be built up before backfill. Hey, I know, i got a bazillion f'n rocks I can use...

picture.php

I just love it when a hole comes together...The cowboy guerilla in me makes me sprinkle twigs, dead leaves etc around the finished pot for a more natural and stealthy look. Is that just wrong?
picture.php

E

Eatatjoes

Nice sieve box you have there, it reminds me of a gold wash plant.

E

Eatatjoes

Those containers look great CC, how tall are they?
I'm pretty sure everyone does but do you feed your horses alfalfa? I've been brewing alfalfa tea and it smells just like horse pokey, that stuff is full of great plant growth promoters including triacontanol. If you've got chickens around I'd recommend scraping up some manure and making a tea out of that too, it's the best fertilizer I ever used.
Much respect for being self sustaining. :tiphat:

joe

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
Those containers look great CC, how tall are they?
I'm pretty sure everyone does but do you feed your horses alfalfa? I've been brewing alfalfa tea and it smells just like horse pokey, that stuff is full of great plant growth promoters including triacontanol. If you've got chickens around I'd recommend scraping up some manure and making a tea out of that too, it's the best fertilizer I ever used.
Much respect for being self sustaining. :tiphat:

joe

The containers worked out to 'round 3ft deep and 3ft in diameter. It'll do for the first season and I dont care what anyone says, that's a fairly large freakin hole! lol. Depending on how well the plants do, next year I can either enlarge the holes or leave em be. I did wrap em with a semi-Smart Pot fabric to offset the rocky sides of the holes where the roots might not do well.

Interesting concept with the alfalfa....I wait til the it comes out the other end! lol As far as the tea, my tea barrel goes 24/7 during the season. Vegging, I fill my barrel with water and suspend a netted bag of horse dukey inside the barrel, allowing it to float and release nutrients. (I cut a hinged access door on the top of the barrel) I hang a fresh bag every week or so. I water completely from the barrel. Never had over-fert problems.

During flower, I switch the barrel to run primarily a bat guano mix with a few other goodies. Same theory. Feed and water at the same time, each time.

picture.php

I used to use the chicken manure but that stuff can be dicey because it is so hot. Especially during the hot summer days. A fella can burn a plant down pretty quick if he isnt careful with that stuff! lol I could use it once a month at best. As I said, the horse poop allows me to feed and water each time with no residual effects. Thanks for the good info pard! CC

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
A True Humboldt County Story

I guess you could say I come from a long line of growers. During the Depression Era and for years after, my grandma Nellie helped my grandpa raise 8 kids by growing and selling flowers and vegetables. Mostly flowers and always roses. She managed a small 1/3 acre plot and her choice of fertilizer was horse manure and simply nothing else would do. Season after season, year after year, she would scour the Humboldt and Trinity County countrysides from Willow Creek to Eureka, hauling off manure from anyone and everyone who owned horses. My grandma was known far and wide as 'Horseshit Nell".

She kept rain barrels by the side of her house, out in the garden plot and down by the creek. In all these containers she kept a mixture of horse manure and water. Without the luxury of rototillers and bagged fertilizer which really didnt exist in those days, she knew the easiest and most efficient way to fertilize was through watering. And horse manure worked!

One day, many years later, while out in my own garden, my mother happened to tell me the story of her mom, my grandmother, "Horseshit Nell". The horse manure brew in rain barrels caught my interest. Long story short, my grandma passed away in the late 70's. Since the 80's, I have always had a barrel full of horse manure and water ready come spring.

My grandma was somewhat of a pioneer. Although she didnt realize it, she was making a grow tea in Humboldt County, some 70 years ago. How about that...? CC

Hey Joe..."And now you know...the rest of the story...LOL

Latest posts

Latest posts