What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Skunkman Sam's Secret Dry Sift 2009

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
it's no big secret, everyone knows the purest drysift comes from shaking your buds through old socks.... ok so, maybe not... ;)

epic sift, Sam but equally epic photo, Bubbleman :)

GreenintheThumb

fuck the ticket, bought the ride
Veteran
So Sam grew out some DNA stuff to make hash with? Seems so...strange. I guess I always thought he only grew his own lines and essentially shunned the industry.

I really like the caviar name too. Perfect comparison to his perfect little orbs of heaven. And electrostatics is as interesting an idea as any to explain his method.

Hey BubbleMan-
If you don't mind me asking what size screens were you using. I imagine it's really easy to have something this pure melt down into your bong.

ganja din

Sorry sam!

I don't mean to expose your 'secret', oh wait, yes I do! Secrets are no good!

This method works. I assume it is how Sam makes his. If not it really doesn't matter because one with motivation, intelligence and money can use the following method. I have been planing on using the following method. I have not researched it too much yet, I'm busy developing a BHO/ethanol extract method anyone can do which will rival (and surpass in some ways) Co2 SCE. I was unaware Sam was using the same method because this is the first I heard of his 'secret' (which he got from reading journal articles like myself):

Trichome head = "glandular secretory cell"

Sams secret method...drum roll...gently abrading cannabis with glass beads

See:

"Isolation of secretory cells from plant glandular trichomes and their use in biosynthetic studies of monoterpenes and other gland products"

Author(s) :Jonathan Gershenzon, David McCaskill, Jean I. M. Rajaonarivony, Charles Mihaliak, Frank Karp and Rodney Croteau

(I will upload the full text on Monday)

Received 24 June 1991.* Available online 29 November 2004.

Abstract

The natural products that accumulate in or exude from plant glandular trichomes are biosynthesized by secretory cells located at the apex of the trichome. To investigate the formation of glandular trichome constituents in several species of mints (Lamiaceae), a new procedure was developed for isolating large numbers of highly purified secretory cells. In this method, the leaf surface is gently abraded with glass beads in a way that fragments the glandular trichomes and yields clusters of intact secretory cells. The isolated, intact secretory cells and cell-free preparations derived from them are very active in monoterpene biosynthesis and provide useful starting materials for the purification of several key enzymes of monoterpene metabolism. The procedure described is adaptable to a broad range of plant species and should find wide application in the preparation of whole cell and cell-free systems for biosynthetic studies of plant natural products found in glandular trichomes.

Shalom

Hey GS,

Nice to see ya here :)

ganja din

Here is another paper I have been intending to read. This method is not 'dry' like the previous paper, and seems less readily adaptable to cannabis. I want to read this paper because it could be an option. Although, IMO dry kif is way better choice for smoking only glandular secretory cells (trich heads), any solvent used (even water) is unneeded when using glass beads (AFAIK).

"Isolation and Purification of Glandular Secretory Cells from Artemisia Tridentata (ssp. Vaseyana) by Percoll Density Gradient Centrifugation"
Author(s): J. Henry Slone and Rick G. Kelsey © 1985

Abstract

Glandular trichome heads (the secretory cells), obtained by mechanical homogenization of young floral buds and subtending leaves of Artemisia, were isolated and partially purified in discontinuous and continuous Percoll density gradients. With discontinuous gradients, the mixed-cell suspension was fractionated on four layers of Percoll with increasing densities: 0, 1.048, 1.068, and 1.084 g/ml. Gland heads banded primarily at the 0/1.048 interface, mesophyll cells at the 1.068/1.084 interface, and the hairs and hair fragments pelleted at the bottom of the tube. Twenty to thirty percent of the cells in the 0/1.048 band were intact gland
heads, which represented about half of those recovered from the gradient. Hairs were the major contaminant. Over 90% of the gland heads excluded Evan's blue dye and were apparently viable. Similar
results were obtained from preliminary experiments using continuous density gradients. The whole procedure for either method requires 3-6 hour, depending upon amount of starting material.

I will upload full text on Monday

ganja din

Hello BubbleMan,

We have not met, its nice finally meet you in a thread. I go by another nic, GS knows who I am. Thanks for all your contributions!

lets see if someone out there can produce a dry sift this clean with their method.

I will sure try once I get my glass beads ;) , anit gonna happen with silk screen or any other method AFAIK.

See ya

ganja din

On the topic of decarboxylation of cannabinoid acids and TCA-A:

Smoking cannabis is the worst (least effective) method to decarboxylate. In a joint only around 30% of THC acid and THCA-A is decarboxylate into THC! (I don't smoke joints for that reason)

Similar problems exist if one is using heat (ex. hot water) to decarboxylate. The problem is the bp (boiling point) of many acids is fairly low. Thus one boils off a large % of acids and THCA-A before they convert to cannabinoids.

If one wants to use heat in the form of a water bath, and maximize terpenoid and flavonoid profile, do not exceed 38'C (100'F). Leave in water for 2-3 hours. Then allow to dry and use the glass beads to extract only trich heads with a very large % (around 70-80%) of decarboxylate cannabinoid acids and THCA-A into their respective cannabinoids!

Regarding decarboxylate of THC-A into THC one should not exceed 122'C. THC content increased while heating at 122'C even past 50 mintues. Over 145'C and the final THC content (not "total THC") will be lower than the final THC content (not "total THC") at, and below 122'C.

Using that method the final extract, "caviar", or "glass caviar" (I like that name too), will be much more potent when smoked due the increased amount of cannabinoids you will inhale :) The difference can be large verses smoking

One could also use an alkaline bath, but that might effect the chemicals negatively. I intend to use an alkaline bath at 100'F when making solvent extracts. The total conversion into cannabinoids should be greater using both methods in concert.

HTH

I can offer full references for all information if anyone is interested.

ganja din

I'm surprised with so many views no one has posted about what I presented. Did I not just reveal what people have been seeking for over a year?

And I am surprised no one has posted about the info regarding decarboxylation. One will not find that info from any other source (save if oneself spends hours in a big U biology library doing the legwork)

dirtyshawa

I'm surprised with so many views no one has posted about what I presented. Did I not just reveal what people have been seeking for over a year?

And I am surprised no one has posted about the info regarding decarboxylation. One will not find that info from any other source (save if oneself spends hours in a big U biology library doing the legwork)

well, i'm happy you revealed it, now please explain it.................

ganja din

Hey all,

Thanks and you welcome. I thought people might be upset...

I will upload the full paper, along with my presentation of my understanding of the paper on Monday, I'm too busy now. Its always best to try and read the journal article oneself if at all possible.

The paper explains the process well, and I can help translate it into laymen terms.

HTH

Sleestak

Considering that is 'sleestack' dry sift, I think it's only right that Sam sends it on along my way.

bubbleman

Veteran
I know the process. but have never seen it produce a fullmelt dry sift.
More interestingly would be seeing pics of your fullmelt dry sift.
I have read all these old papers myself.. and knew about this method as well as a simliar method used in cleaning jewlery using plastic beads instead of glass ones.
this being said... in the least a personal account on your own experience using this method to me would be greatly appreciated.
Photos of course only help...

Peace
Bubble man

Ps... i dont think anyone would be upset if you showed a method to help people produce a resin of this quality. Last years post had dozens of people throw down theories but at the end of the day.. no one showed information that allowed for people to recreate a fullmelt dry sift of the quality photographed in the threads..

ganja din

Hello Jump,

Do you mean to ask if your postulation is a possible alternative to attain the same extract as using glass beads?

If so I would say no. But like I mentioned, I haven't spent too much time researching this yet. I will upload the full paper (and others) on Monday, along with presenting an in depth analysis of my understanding.

HTH

ganja din

Hey Bubbleman,

I have not yet used this method. When I do I will post pictures. EDIT: I have only read one reference to plastic, I would need to read up on it, but AFAIK it is less ideal than the glass bead method. Do you have a link/reference to that paper?

I need a few days to do background research, but then I should have something worth posting regarding these methods.

ganja din

Hey Bubbleman,

Btw, if you knew all along why not post about these methods? I'm curious, do you know Sams method?

Shalom

ganja din

B.M.,

Old paper? I would not call being published in 1991, and put online in 2004 old. Old to me is circa 70's to late 80's.

Are we talking about the same study?

Latest posts

Latest posts