What's new

Size does matter!

J

jrosek

MynameStitch said:
I have a quick question jro, great plants btw. How do you know for 100% that trimming the fan leaves does not hurt your yield?
Have you tried this with many strains or just a few?

With my grows I have always gotten smaller buds with trimming fan leaves I tried growing 2 clones side by side same everything one with leaves and one without and ones with the fan leaves grew 30% bigger buds and not popcorn or small size buds....

Your growing style is a cross between scrog and the efficiency of an omega garden....

In my state if you got caught with that grow of yours you would be in deep shit cause they go by plant numbers.
Stitch, Its a good thing i don't live in the states!
the info is in this thread some where, They produce 8g more each in identical situation's. Myself and others i know have great success with this technique! the key is to let the plant establish where you want it, then prune. it will definitely slow vegetative growth. the only thing that stops/slow's growing when removing the large fan leaves are the stems.
The only set back with this is that it takes a couple days longer in flower, which is a week faster than normal due to the size of them anyways...
Peace, jro

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Slowing stopping the stems is what you would want with this grow, this allows the plant not to get too tall where you could have maximum light.

How did you come about pruning around the dates you picked?
With me when I was growing I grow out trees, never let mine get small.... all my grows have been 4 feet to 6 1/2 feet tall.

So that was why I was asking and was curious; none the less your technique is remarkable congrats on that!

Trimming leaves on bigger plants with from my experience hurt my growth, but since you want them smaller and keep them at a certain height with the way you grow, is absolutely necessary to keep your gpw.

J

jrosek

Stitch,
Thanks for the props man!
One thing i failed to mention is... this BOG Bubblicious is a very leafy plant, i could never get good penetration before this technique.
I experimented with a few different time tables during a couple of grows, this is what we ultimately came up with.
I dont have any grows going rite now but am planning a 2 bed grow with 4 600's on a perpetual harvest deal. we will be using 3.5'x7.5' beds, harvest one every month. they will consist of 150 cuts each. we should be able to get 5lbs every month.
It will be a week or 2 until the new room is completed, i will start a thread for anyone that is interested in a start to finish.
one more thing... we did some 4lb lemon skunk/ northern light hybrids this yr. they have 10" fan leaves that are like tarps and the inner growth is usually very under developed. this yr i did allot of trimming and had great results! they key is to prune when the plant has stopped stretching, i also fed them straight veg nutes for the first 3 weeks of flower to let them stretch enough to get good light in.
enough, i could go on all night!!lol
Peace bro, Jro

P

prod

Thank you for your response ! Okay, so no pots, just a big bed 76 x 254 cm filled with cocos and 100-120 cuttings that will flower straight from the Root Riot cubes,
so maybe I can use 10 of thoose 30"x10" tub's that you showed me on the pic?
What do you think ? Would make it easier to manage. Wonderful pictures.

peace

Edit: 3 more questions,

How tall are your cutting in cm when u feel satisfied that it is rooted well?
I measure mine to about 7 cm... u think this is ok ?

How much g is a zip bag ? Im not familiar with em :D

When using the canna coco calculator it says to use less nutritients
in veg. Should I use the flower doze from the beginning, or use the veg
doze in 3 weeks then the flower doze ?

peace again

Last edited:

nicomen

amazing tek and buds jrosek what is your susbtrate? Im using sog right now but I let them veg for 2 weeks maybe next run ill do what your doing.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
jrosek said:
Stitch,
Thanks for the props man!
One thing i failed to mention is... this BOG Bubblicious is a very leafy plant, i could never get good penetration before this technique.
I experimented with a few different time tables during a couple of grows, this is what we ultimately came up with.
I dont have any grows going rite now but am planning a 2 bed grow with 4 600's on a perpetual harvest deal. we will be using 3.5'x7.5' beds, harvest one every month. they will consist of 150 cuts each. we should be able to get 5lbs every month.
It will be a week or 2 until the new room is completed, i will start a thread for anyone that is interested in a start to finish.
one more thing... we did some 4lb lemon skunk/ northern light hybrids this yr. they have 10" fan leaves that are like tarps and the inner growth is usually very under developed. this yr i did allot of trimming and had great results! they key is to prune when the plant has stopped stretching, i also fed them straight veg nutes for the first 3 weeks of flower to let them stretch enough to get good light in.
enough, i could go on all night!!lol
Peace bro, Jro

Ok, I understand your whole post, but one part..... you said you feed them veg nutes 3 weeks into flower...... ok that is fine. But I don't see how nitrogen allows the plants to stretch cause it's supposed to stop the plants from stretching, rather than allowing it.........if I remember correctly.....

J

jrosek

prod said:
Thank you for your response ! Okay, so no pots, just a big bed 76 x 254 cm filled with cocos and 100-120 cuttings that will flower straight from the Root Riot cubes,
so maybe I can use 10 of thoose 30"x10" tub's that you showed me on the pic?
What do you think ? Would make it easier to manage. Wonderful pictures.

peace

Edit: 3 more questions,

How tall are your cutting in cm when u feel satisfied that it is rooted well?
I measure mine to about 7 cm... u think this is ok ?

How much g is a zip bag ? Im not familiar with em :D

When using the canna coco calculator it says to use less nutritients
in veg. Should I use the flower doze from the beginning, or use the veg
doze in 3 weeks then the flower doze ?

peace again
Prod, I like to have a little more root development than the riots provide. maybe you can get some 9once dixie cups and trans to them for a week or so before puttinhg them in the beds... mine are 4-5" tall when they go in.
No, You dont want to feed them nute veg for 3 weeks, They will stretch way to much. give them nute veg for the first week, when they hit 5-6" trim all the large fan leaves off from the main stem, remember... you want to keep them short for the 400's.
What strain do you plan on running? The idea for you is to keep them 10-12" total when there done stretching.
There's 28 grams in a zip, 16 zip's in a elbow...
No, dont run the tubs, you'll lose way to many cuts, a bed is the best way. when your ready, Ill show you how to make a wand feeder that rocks! all for around 100 bucks.
I would recomend a good ph/tds meter! Im not real sure on the canna schedule? I ran there bio's before with good success, However the ec meter doesnt lie, I give 1100 ppm once they are rooted fully. never over 1300.
Peace, Hit me back, Jro

J

jrosek

nicomen said:
amazing tek and buds jrosek what is your susbtrate? Im using sog right now but I let them veg for 2 weeks maybe next run ill do what your doing.
nicomen, thank you myfriend!
I use 65% perlite to 35% vermiculite. best combo i have ever run! Only problem is if the plant gets to tall they will fall over and pull roots out wich ofcourse is not wanted.
Give it a try, i will be glad to help!!
Peace, Jro

J

jrosek

MynameStitch said:
Ok, I understand your whole post, but one part..... you said you feed them veg nutes 3 weeks into flower...... ok that is fine. But I don't see how nitrogen allows the plants to stretch cause it's supposed to stop the plants from stretching, rather than allowing it.........if I remember correctly.....
Nitrogen does not stop stretch, Infact it helps keep the plant vigorous threw the transition to flower.
Differnt doses for different grows ofcourse.
Take care, Jro

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
From what I read and from my experience, nitrogen always slowed down stretching in flowering when you use high enough dosage... same dosage or a little more than what was used in veg.... what was the dosage you give your plants of nitrogen and how often were you feeding them this? what brand of nute?

J

jrosek

MynameStitch said:
From what I read and from my experience, nitrogen always slowed down stretching in flowering when you use high enough dosage... same dosage or a little more than what was used in veg.... what was the dosage you give your plants of nitrogen and how often were you feeding them this? what brand of nute?
Stich, I use AN 3 part.
AS a rule for me, i would always feed mormal veg schedule for the first 10-14 days of flower, That is in a normal cituation ofcourse. This practice is done by everyone i know. reason for this is the plant will use most of its available nitrogen during the transition wich slows vertical growth and will deprive its supply. Hence the yellowing of the lower leavesect...
With the strain i have now I can dictate the height and side branching simply by conroling the amont of veg nutes i give it for the first 2 weeks. In the SOG i only feed the first couple of times, keeps them shorter, in a bush style, I feed them fore the first 2 weeks. Hope im making sense here??
Anyways, Give it a try on one of yours, im sure you will be pleased. Peace

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
jrosek said:
Stich, I use AN 3 part.
AS a rule for me, i would always feed mormal veg schedule for the first 10-14 days of flower, That is in a normal cituation ofcourse. This practice is done by everyone i know. reason for this is the plant will use most of its available nitrogen during the transition wich slows vertical growth and will deprive its supply. Hence the yellowing of the lower leavesect...
With the strain i have now I can dictate the height and side branching simply by conroling the amont of veg nutes i give it for the first 2 weeks. In the SOG i only feed the first couple of times, keeps them shorter, in a bush style, I feed them fore the first 2 weeks. Hope im making sense here??
Anyways, Give it a try on one of yours, im sure you will be pleased. Peace

No transitional mixes of both veg and bloom formulas?

I do use veg nutes into flower but only for the first week, and also mixed with some bloom nutes, I do find it hard sometimes to control my heights, but I believe this to be due to me running test strains constantly, Always looking for that good pheno

P

prod

jrosek: Okay thanks for the advice.

Ill handwater the first run in cocos. I will use four of these as my bed since
I dont have the time to build a big bed by myself. >

http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/90027811

Im planning on running Strawberry cough and Big Bang (Greenhouse),
VEG'ing the moms as we speak.

Last edited:
J

jrosek

prod said:
jrosek: Okay thanks for the advice.

Ill handwater the first run in cocos. I will use four of these as my bed since
I dont have the time to build a big bed by myself. >

http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/90027811

Im planning on running Strawberry cough and Big Bang (Greenhouse),
VEG'ing the moms as we speak.
prod, That should work good.
The medium only needs to be about 5-6" deep with this small of a plant.
I do recomend running only one strain per bed. Ultimately this should be your goal.
Strawberry cough is some great smoke!, I never grew it so im not sure on the girth of her???
You should do sets of 10 or so and train them at different times to see what will ultimately be your best method.
Peace, Jro

P

prod

Could you show me a pic of a rooted cutting that you think would do descent
in the bed? (I mean when u think it will be ready for transplant into the floweringroom) Strawberry cough gets pretty bushy and its pretty tolerant. Ill go with 120 cuttings as you said and
then expand to 130 and maybe even 140, cuz with 4 of thoose ikea beds
I will have some extra room on the sides. Maybe even put an extra 400w hps so
that each bed gets its own?

cherio

Last edited:
M

moses224

The general rule is that blooming plants require minimum of one gallon of soil for each foot of height.

Seedlings and freshly rooted clones do well in 3.5" square pots.

From the 3.5, transplant up into 5 inch square pots, which do fine for general vegetative and mother plant duty.

Two gallon rectangular dollar store trash cans make fine flowering pots. Just drill a bunch of 1/8 inch holes in the bottom for drainage.

J

jrosek

prod said:
Could you show me a pic of a rooted cutting that you think would do descent
in the bed? (I mean when u think it will be ready for transplant into the floweringroom) Strawberry cough gets pretty bushy and its pretty tolerant. Ill go with 120 cuttings as you said and
then expand to 130 and maybe even 140, cuz with 4 of thoose ikea beds
I will have some extra room on the sides. Maybe even put an extra 400w hps so
that each bed gets its own?

cherio
Prod, Sorry i dont have a pic of a fully rooted cut.
What you want is this... Plant your root riot in a 9 ounce dixie cup, use what ever medium you plan to put in the beds. feed them accordingly. some strains root faster than others. the idea is to flip the cup and check the roots, when they are filling the cup its time to put them in the beds.
Usually takes 10 to 17 days. this is important to dial in when trying to do a perpetual harvest.
Remember, you want 5" or so in between cuts for proper room. Dont stuff to many in there, sometimes more is not better. I would stick with the rule we discussed earlier. The most important aspect for you to figure out is what your light will cover adequately. Im sure your on the right track!!
Peace, Jro

P

prod

Aight jro :)

Now i just need to flower all my soil
plants to make room for the new bed.

Im growing the motherplants now aswell,
Some GH Big Bang and Strawberry Cough.
Ill let you know when I've set everything
up.

peace
:rasta:

J

jrosek

prod said:
Aight jro :)

Now i just need to flower all my soil
plants to make room for the new bed.

Im growing the motherplants now aswell,
Some GH Big Bang and Strawberry Cough.
Ill let you know when I've set everything
up.

peace
:rasta:
Looking forward to it!
You should start a diary as well..........
Peace! Jro

Brastaman

wow, had to catch up on all the information.
Jro, you're killing it man. real nice.

bugbud63 said:
Brastaman,how many different strains have you trimed the fans?Very intresting info by the way.stay Safe!!

not very many. the most popular cut i run that gets the heavy treatment is the purple urkle. and the greencrack.

i have noticed that if i cut fan leaves off after about the 4th week of flowering when bud development has taken hold that the bud sometimes stresses out and grows immature. <-- not sure if its the instant exposure to more light for a bud that was growing under low-light conditions before. OR if it is from the stress of cutting off a fan leaf.

Latest posts

Latest posts