What's new

Size does matter!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Man I used to have a pic of a pair of clones (same age, same mom) and put one in a 2 gallon grow bag, and one in a 4 gallon pot. At the same age the larger pot made a plant double in size.

That said, I've seen 6-7 oz plants grown in one gallon pots of soil, fed and watered heavily with an ebb and grow. I think it depends on how well you feed them!

Oh, and Smartpots don't get root bound, they air prune, so I think the damage to the plant is removed that way. Just my two cents.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
if i have a 10x10 room, should i go with 50 in 1 gallon pots or like 25 in 3 gallons?

i gotta a decent amount of room to play with i wanna pull something big...

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
^what are #10s? im looking at rootpots, smartpots, all sorts of different things. not sure what i should run, i still got a good month or more until my roomie moves out then i can convert his room, time to do research and plan...

i wanna go with organic soil mixed with perlite in 2 or 3 gallons under 5 or 6 600 watters....

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
#10's are 10gal smart pots ;)

If it wasn't for legal limits, I'd be SOG'in raised beds.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
can you post pics of your setup with the ten gals, ive got a 10x10 so i could probably do bigger pots. your gallery is all smaller pots but looks real nice!

i have had plants in small containers do just as well as in larger, but i want whatever i been growin ready to cut after 2 months in bloom tops. vegged for no more than 2 months. now i am vegging no longer than a month in small pots. i would say it depends on how long the plant will be in the ground now. and type of soil, if it dries out faster then you got to feed more, blah blah. i wouldn't waste my space with large containers unless i was gonna veg them forever. see what jrosek did in this thread as well as the Bonzai mums sticky?? just m2c bye

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
some of us are just more comfortable having fewer plants and achieving the same yield, plus more plants = more work; there are pro's and con's to both methods, however I feel that if growing is something that will become full-time so to speak, the extra time in veg really doesnt play a role, as you will be constantly busy no matter the method. as far as efficiency goes, I'd be hard pressed to tell a grower that his 20#'s a year growing 6 plants at a time is less efficient that another guy that produces 20#'s a year with 100 plants at a time....all I'm trying to say is that there are different strokes for different folks, and there IS more than one way to skin a cat....and on that note I've got 6 ladies in 10gal of coco @ knockin on week 8 as we speak...Size does matter!

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
can you post pics of your setup with the ten gals, ive got a 10x10 so i could probably do bigger pots. your gallery is all smaller pots but looks real nice!

Not a lot to see, 10gals, organic soil & a top drip system, each plant gets aprox 2'x2' & they intertwine a bit. The drip will add some yield over hand watering too. I run hot soil & feed heavy, so I do both, drip 2/3 of their water needs & top feed/hand water the rest.

darksith

whoever started this post needs to do some side by side experiments. I guess you could be right if you veg your plants for a month or longer, but why would you do this? I once had a table I built, 5'x10'x2'deep. I simply used this table as a bed, and planted my plants in it. I didn't produce any more/less bud than running the same strain in 2 gallon pots. So size does not matter if you don't waste your time, money and energy on vegging plants for too long. Simply add a couple extra plants to the mix, grow them a wee bit smaller and yield the same or more over 12 months.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
fuck off sith, it's called maxing out your yields within your legal plant limits.

I was soggin before your punk ass was born. Now go feed your fkin goldfish or sumpthin...

darksith

fuck off sith, it's called maxing out your yields within your legal plant limits.

I was soggin before your punk ass was born. Now go feed your fkin goldfish or sumpthin...

haha, ok, but to max out a yield or just run more crops, its half a dozen in one...and I said you could be right, but maybe not over a 12 month cycle or a 3 year cycle.

and I wouldn't assume you've been around longer. It only makes an ass of u...

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Sith, I think you're assuming someone doesn't have a veg room or something. As long as my veg is less than my flowering time, I can veg as long as desired without impacting the number of crops per year. There is nothing to gain from a very short veg in my opinion, as it will take 2 months to flower no matter what. I have plenty of room, power and cooling for veg currently, and will be doing a 4 week veg to improve plant and root structure, and yield per plant will double, so the same weight requires half the plants. This saves money on clones (if buying them) or time (if cutting them/keeping moms) with no negative impact.

Put another way, you can start vegging your cuts 1-2 weeks before flip, or 4 weeks before flip. Either way you still have 6 crops per year if you're good. We'll ignore flipflops and perpetual grows for the sake of the debate, but if you have a veg room, USE IT until it can't hold any more!

darksith

Put another way, you can start vegging your cuts 1-2 weeks before flip, or 4 weeks before flip. Either way you still have 6 crops per year if you're good. We'll ignore flipflops and perpetual grows for the sake of the debate, but if you have a veg room, USE IT until it can't hold any more!

nope, I have a veg room, and I veg not SOG. But I don't run anything bigger than a 3 gal pot and I pull very good, not super awesome but better than 1g/w or 1p/light always. But if you have a veg room and have multiple generations of plants at once then you are obviously going past your allowed limit if legal (completely I guess, I have no idea about legal since it aint here). Why if when you harvest your veg room goes right into your flower room and no veg in there, do you run a large pot(>3gallon)? Ive tried it every which way, and I don't buy into needing anything bigger than 3 gallons. Its a waste of money on soil, nutes and everything else.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
When every 3rd post around here is some noob thinkin this n that out their ass...

"needs to run side by sides" is the wrong fkin thing to say to me lol

Quite a few on this thread have actually tried it & found out for themselves or posted up that they'd discovered the same thing already. Bigger is better & for limited plant med grows, it's huge!
I get 4+ everytime in 30/60 flat, 1.2+ psf < old fart #'s that matter lol My new buildout will pull 1.5 in 90, I may have to gas'em tho.

Nothing you can buy can outrun hybrid vigor &/in big pots!

Hybrid Soil/Hydro growing mediums & systems is where the absolute max yields & quality lies "IMO" lol I'm working on the proof for that one.

:tiphat:

darksith

Im not trying to rain on your parade. And just b/c I decided to get on the net doesn't mean that I am new, you aint that old on this site either. Old fart numbers Im getting about 1.6psf, maybe a little less since Im probably just over 3'x3' per light. Anyway not trying to start shit, just trying to say that unless you have limited room and cash bigger isn't always better, and there are so many noobs at this on here, they may get the wrong idea.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
yeah yeah, big talk, what's new...

I'm actually talkin' down my #'s quite a bit, just to avoid the naysayin' trolls lol

Latest posts

Latest posts