What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sip shape

Bio boy

Microbe man suggested 15 inch depth min for good microbes balance
thrailer etc show a deeper pot is better too

I have this square tub witch would allow that but at a price double a bucket

the bucket would give even more depth up to 20 inch at half the price

which would you take to make a sip
3443A33F-F9B7-4A56-9907-B04964AA7DE6.png
07D1C25C-2213-4626-A0FC-E109774AC3FD.png
8566B522-5F0D-4341-9962-A3C92CFE45D6.png

ill be hooking the base up like this and sitting soil on top
BB4EAA60-0C87-4506-8C6F-33F63FF1784B.png

I feel buckets offer more depth and more room to get around and half price would this be an ok move ? Or should I stick to the tubs

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I don't know which is which so I'm going to watch you and learn from you. I'm learning a lot just from your first post. Whatever you do please post so we can see how sip size and depth is and how it matters. Thanks for posting.

Bio boy

I don't know which is which so I'm going to watch you and learn from you. I'm learning a lot just from your first post. Whatever you do please post so we can see how sip size and depth is and how it matters. Thanks for posting.
I would love to experiment with both
here is the bucket
A1145111-9923-44FA-9CCD-E4FF773FCE6C.png
its 80l so with 20l water and an airgap leaves me with enough room to mulch the top off , though am tempted to chop a hole in the lid and keep it on lol

water will be on a float like the square tub pic above but with taller buckets giving 15 or more inch depth

Outdo

My SIP's are 18 inch deep, 20 gallon fabric pots that sit on tubs filled with pumice, perlite, and water (indoors) and a 2 foot x 3 foot elevated bed that is 18 inches above a 4 inch reservoir like in your tub (outdoors). They aren't filled to the top, more like 16-17 inches. They work great.

I have not experimented with anything in the 20 inch range and would be interested in seeing your results if you choose to go that route.