What's new

Simplicity - Looking For The Perfect Soil

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I would like to get some ideas on this. I am always trying to hone my skill, and I would say the ultimate in growing weed would be a soil that would need no fertilization from seedling to ripening. But also would not burn seedlings. :)

Can it be done?

In nature, weed grows like weeds, without fertilization, pH adjustments, etc. So what is the trick?

Would you be looking at an organic soil, perfect soil life, companion planting of other herbs or grasses, etc? Growing a weed should not be this difficult.

I guess I'm really looking for a setup where you don't have to feed, just water.

PS, right now I'm growing a variety of plants, all organic (though not yet completely vegan), and I'm surprised how different different strains react to the same conditions. I'm growing Ethiopian Highland, Tanzanian Magic, one Kilimanjaro, one Pakistan Valley, and a seed I pulled from my previous Malawi Gold crop (may have been pollinated by either a Blue Mystic, or another Malawi Gold male early on), and some Hawaiian Snow x Tanzanian Magic cross I made last year.

GoneRooty

Hey TM, check out the stickies, there are a few dealing with soil and soil mixes. These should give you all the basic answers you want. After you check out those stickies, and if you still have questions, I know there are some very intelligent people here who would love to help you.

mad librettist

Veteran
Plants like to be with plants.

Living mulch, baby!

one more hint: think big. You need big batteries.

Also: if you are removing the flowers you are depleting your soil. You need to give something at some point. If you top dress different items on a regular basis you don't have to rest so much between runs.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can it be done?

of course it can, its called building real soil. increasing soil humus levels and creating a well structured soil. rather than tossing some peat, perlite and lime together with anything you can buy at the store.

V

vonforne

of course it can, its called building real soil. increasing soil humus levels and creating a well structured soil. rather than tossing some peat, perlite and lime together with anything you can buy at the store.

EWC, compost, rock dust, seaweed etc. Soil building.

V

h.h.

Veteran
When you compromise nature by enclosing it in a pot, it becomes a whole new challenge. Nature replenishes itself.
A limited amount of nutes, in the form of blood meal, bone meal, EWC and whatnot, can be worked into the soil, where as depending on how long you veg and the strain, your soil will still possibly become depleted, hence the need for topdressing or even a very light nute program.

V

vonforne

When you compromise nature by enclosing it in a pot, it becomes a whole new challenge. Nature replenishes itself.
A limited amount of nutes, in the form of blood meal, bone meal, EWC and whatnot, can be worked into the soil, where as depending on how long you veg and the strain, your soil will still possibly become depleted, hence the need for topdressing or even a very light nute program.

you can cycle soil 2 or 3 times and it will not be depleted. That is if you have enough organic matter to start with.

V

mad librettist

Veteran

I don't enclose nature in my pots.

They are smart pots for one thing, but also they don't have lids. Nature can, and does come to visit and to stay. I have lots of species of bugs that i never introduced. Since I have no surplus of any one type I have to conclude there is predation going on, or at least competition.

Lately I hav noticed less slow moving bugs, and more very very fast moving bugs.

h.h.

Veteran
you can cycle soil 2 or 3 times and it will not be depleted. That is if you have enough organic matter to start with.

V
Some of you are much better with your mixes than I am. I've never honestly tried a second cycle without adding something and recooking.
Again though, wouldn't this depend on veg time?

mad librettist

Veteran
Some of you are much better with your mixes than I am. I've never honestly tried a second cycle without adding something and recooking.
Again though, wouldn't this depend on veg time?

If you are returning most of the material to the dirt in the container, it doesn't matter how long you do anything. What matters is you took away some flower material, and did you add something back?

some bokashi here and there; a mulch - these are enough to keep a soil going forever if all you take away is cannabis flowers.

h.h.

Veteran
I don't enclose nature in my pots.

They are smart pots for one thing, but also they don't have lids. Nature can, and does come to visit and to stay. I have lots of species of bugs that i never introduced. Since I have no surplus of any one type I have to conclude there is predation going on, or at least competition.

Lately I hav noticed less slow moving bugs, and more very very fast moving bugs.
Must be all the coffee grounds.
Nature provides the floods and the blown in debris. Seeds get caught up in the debris moisture is wicked in and they sprout. Debris is constantly feed to the top soil.ground water raises and lowers bring up dissolved minerals. Even in smart pots, we have to do this.
What you are doing with bugs and clover is getting closer and closer. It still takes manipulation even if it's just chopping clover.

Latest posts

Latest posts