What's new

Silicone coated parchment paper: Unsafe compatibility with n-butane

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Hey fellow oilers I got another good topic to discuss, almost all of us have used parchment paper to purge on so I figured this should be talked about. I've known since I started using parchment paper that almost all brands use silicone as its non-stick material, actually I don't know of any brands that don't use silicone. I recently saw on another website that someone asked about silicones compatibility with n-butane and thought to myself, fuck I don't think I ever checked. So I made a quick visit to the cole-parmer website to see the effects butane has on silicone and I was not happy with what I saw.
http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance
D-Severe Effect
D = Severe Effect, not recommended for ANY use

I can only assume this means anyone using silicone coated parchment paper for purging residual butane, will have silicone in there oil.

What do ya'll think?
Does anyone know of any brands that are non-silicone coated?

blackone

Veteran
Doesn't sound good... I don't know what health effects smoking silicone might have though - probably a pretty bad idea until proven safe.
I wonder if any parchment paper or similar is using flourinated compounds? That would be even worse...

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
I was using the brand If You Care unbleached and totally chlorine free, after discovering what I have today I will only be purging on glass and keep the parchment for baking.

montroller

I am not sure it will actually "extract" silicone into our product but it might deteriorate the silicone enough to allow it to be scraped into your product at the end. I think if the problem was serious people would have noticed before. Also they make Teflon products that can be used for our purposes but they are nowhere near as cost effective.

I would say if you have to use parchment just make sure your oil pretty well purged before scraping onto parchment and then don't ever scrape off the parchment. Just peel it or freeze it and peel it if you have to.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
p303616b.jpg

I use these porcelain trays that came with a bread dipping set for vac purging, good for 3-4 grams without hitting the sides when it puffs up, and they hold heat well so you can warm them up between vac sessions and help the process along without having to expose the oil itself to excess heat.

Only 10 dollars on Amazon and it has 4 of them plus some tasty spices for actually dipping bread :D

http://www.amazon.com/Dean-Jacobs-6-piece-Dipping-4-0-Ounce/dp/B000YG12OI/

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Thanks for the replies guys!

At this point its all just speculation, but there is a possibility while purging residual butane from our oil that it will deteriorate the silicone coating. With compatibility like that no thank you, better safe than sorry.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i've seen many samples in parchment, it doesnt seem very groovy at all. its like storing weed in a plastic bag instead of a jar kind of.

prune

Veteran
Doesn't sound good... I don't know what health effects smoking silicone might have though - probably a pretty bad idea until proven safe.
I wonder if any parchment paper or similar is using flourinated compounds? That would be even worse...

Yes it's my understanding that all the major brands utilize PCB's as a special release agent. The bleached white style's all have dioxin and the russian versions usually come with visible polonium. Although they say they're all food safe at temperatures below freezing...

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
View Image

I use these porcelain trays that came with a bread dipping set for vac purging, good for 3-4 grams without hitting the sides when it puffs up, and they hold heat well so you can warm them up between vac sessions and help the process along without having to expose the oil itself to excess heat.

Only 10 dollars on Amazon and it has 4 of them plus some tasty spices for actually dipping bread :D

http://www.amazon.com/Dean-Jacobs-6-piece-Dipping-4-0-Ounce/dp/B000YG12OI/

Hee, hee, hee, good score! Bring on the harisa!

I pick 6" Pyrex Petri dishes up off of E=bay, which works well for vacuum purging. You get a lid and a bottom, so it makes two dishes.

They won't hold heat like porcelin though, so I will check yours out.

I also tried a 6" tart pan, but the actual dish is smaller than the Petri dish, because of the rim and taper.

Attachments

• BHO absolute ready for purging.jpg
    BHO absolute ready for purging.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Thin film vacuum purged BHO absolute (2).jpg
    Thin film vacuum purged BHO absolute (2).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Vacuum purged at 29 hg & 115F-2-1.jpg
    Vacuum purged at 29 hg & 115F-2-1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 6 in Petri dishes with lids.jpg
    6 in Petri dishes with lids.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 16

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PS, here is a 4" Petri dish and 6" tart pan.

Attachments

• 6 in Pyrex tart pan and 4 inch  petri dish.jpg
    6 in Pyrex tart pan and 4 inch petri dish.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 17

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey fellow oilers I got another good topic to discuss, almost all of us have used parchment paper to purge on so I figured this should be talked about. I've known since I started using parchment paper that almost all brands use silicone as its non-stick material, actually I don't know of any brands that don't use silicone. I recently saw on another website that someone asked about silicones compatibility with n-butane and thought to myself, fuck I don't think I ever checked. So I made a quick visit to the cole-parmer website to see the effects butane has on silicone and I was not happy with what I saw.
http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance
D-Severe Effect
D = Severe Effect, not recommended for ANY use

I can only assume this means anyone using silicone coated parchment paper for purging residual butane, will have silicone in there oil.

What do ya'll think?
Does anyone know of any brands that are non-silicone coated?

The silicone on Cole Parmer's website is silicone rubber gasket material, not silicone spray.

Basic Silicones are man made out of silicon, with carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. They also add other stuff, depending on the end use.

Silicon is pretty inert, but breathing crystalline silica can give you Silicosis. I doubt that crystalline silica is transferred by smoking or vaporizing, but I am not a doctor and without a MSDS, of which I can find none, I don't know what other stuff may have been added to make silicone suitable as a parchment paper spray.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Hey gw thanks for the posts! Even though coleparmer silicone rubber gasket material is not the same as silicone coated parchment paper, at the end of the day they both contain silicone. Shouldn't they have a similiar effect when in contact with n-butane?

Prune- I've also heard that some brands of parchment are coated with Quilon, which contains heavy metals like chromium that can be toxic when incinerated.

hmk- lol I agree, not groovy at all

Hammma- Thanks for the rep!

AlexanderS

The Coleparmer list is after a 48 hour exposure(states that at the bottom) and does not state that the silicone dissolves.. Severe Effect could mean that it cause it to distort or something. This is more likely a chart for industrial use where they have washers and gaskets that would be constantly immersed and is more like a guide to say hey, this material just does not stay in shape with this type of use, you cant change that part daily because it starts to warp. I am just saying, its not all too clear what it is trying to say.

KonradZuse

The silicone on Cole Parmer's website is silicone rubber gasket material, not silicone spray.

Basic Silicones are man made out of silicon, with carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. They also add other stuff, depending on the end use.

Silicon is pretty inert, but breathing crystalline silica can give you Silicosis. I doubt that crystalline silica is transferred by smoking or vaporizing, but I am not a doctor and without a MSDS, of which I can find none, I don't know what other stuff may have been added to make silicone suitable as a parchment paper spray.

That'a fucked up...

Parchment imo is shitty. There were times I'd scrape off oil from the parchment, and then realized there was parchment in the oil itself... I want to get medicated, not hurt myself... How bad would inhaling the parchment itself be? Paper is used with joints and such, but not parchment paper... It wouldn't really do anything, it would like melt and then I knew I should stop and not inhale any of that shit....

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Coleparmer list is after a 48 hour exposure(states that at the bottom) and does not state that the silicone dissolves.. Severe Effect could mean that it cause it to distort or something. This is more likely a chart for industrial use where they have washers and gaskets that would be constantly immersed and is more like a guide to say hey, this material just does not stay in shape with this type of use, you cant change that part daily because it starts to warp. I am just saying, its not all too clear what it is trying to say.

What they are saying, is that silicone rubber gaskets submerged in some solvents, absorbs some of the solvent and leaves some of its own molecules behind. It would be a poor choice of gasket material, for that application.

Silicone is a simple man-made backbone of silicon (sand), to which they have attached carbon, hydrogen, and other atoms. Depending on what else they attach, it may be hard and dry, oily, or rubbery in consistency.

In the case of parchment paper, there is nothing that I see, which would be left behind or created by decomposition, that would be conveyed by the smoke or vapor, or whch would be toxic if eaten in the quantities present.

Having said that, we don't use it for any of the stuff we do beyond baking, or experimentation with new processes.

It is handy for making vacuum muffins for vaporization, but our own group prefers our AA crisply vaporized and straight up.

vertigo0007

That'a fucked up...

Parchment imo is shitty. There were times I'd scrape off oil from the parchment, and then realized there was parchment in the oil itself... I want to get medicated, not hurt myself... How bad would inhaling the parchment itself be? Paper is used with joints and such, but not parchment paper... It wouldn't really do anything, it would like melt and then I knew I should stop and not inhale any of that shit....

Hahaha parchment doesnt come off in the oil nor does it change the flavor or smell. Wax from wax paper yes. Why on earth would you scrape parchment paper?

Latest posts

Latest posts