What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Silicone bumps dry yield 28%

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.co.. .bis-nutrients/

First proper set of results, and just where is this product?

They have coated perlite with potassium silicate it seems.

I found this as I'm giving up on using it in coco. The coco became hydrophobic without wetting agents, when it should be hydrophillic or even hydroscopic. Showing me it was coated in something oil like. Which isn't helpful.

I note rice hulls can hold 10% silicone. I can't figure how much bud should really be taking on, but if 10% of that gain is from silicone weight, that's a lot of silicone. A 4.5oz plant wants to take on an ounce. The perlite seems no more than a carrier. A vessel to hold the potassium silicate. Perhaps we could mix it ourselves.

Early days, but this can't be far from our shelves. Years ago perlite was often coated with silicone when used as a building material. Makes you think..

https://www.perlite.org/perlite-in-lightweight-formed-products/
Potassium silicate is sometimes preferred for applica­tions where heat insulation and fire resistance are the main objectives
Really need those quote tags back in the reply box...

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
The same Dutch researchers also noted the challenges of adding Si to fertilizer concentrate solutions because a higher solution pH of >9 is required for the Si to be available to plants. If the solution pH is too low, then the solubility of the Si concentrate has the tendency to form precipitate and diminish plant availability. Most fertilizer solutions used in greenhouse production are acidic when mixed, with most typically around pH 4. Therefore, Si supplements require their own stock tank if mixed with other fertilizers or supplied independently. Also, the optimal substrate pH for cannabis is between 5.5 and 6.5. All these factors make balancing Si availability to plants a challenge.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Silicon

Silicon is taken up from soil by plants in the available silicate form, generally in the form of kaolin (aluminum silicate). Silicates accumulate in higher plants and have structural and stress resistance roles in plant physiology.[SUP]99[/SUP] The concentrations of silicates in plants exceed solubility and form biogenic “phytoliths”,[SUP]100[/SUP] which are predominantly silica (SiO[SUB]2[/SUB]) polymers.
Silica inhaled in the form of quartz or cristobalite (different forms of SiO[SUB]2[/SUB]) is an IARC group 1 human carcinogen.[SUP]101[/SUP] When tobacco smoke is inhaled, silicates in the forms of metal silicates and silica (SiO[SUB]2[/SUB]) particles are transported. Aluminum silicate particles are found in smokers' lungs at elevated concentrations.[SUP]102[/SUP] Lynn et al. described bronchoalveolar lavage containing 10[SUP]11[/SUP] macrophages with prominent lysosomes containing amorphous carbon, round dense particles, and needle-like crystals of aluminum silicate from a pulmonary patient for whom no source except smoking was found as an explanation for the foreign substances.[SUP]103[/SUP] Choux et al. described the composition of numerous silicate particles in the alveolar macrophages of a patient with tobacco-associated pulmonary fibrosis as fiber-, needle-, or laminar-like inclusions that varied from 0.2 to 2 μm in size, the size range of the major proportion of the total mass of particulate from cigarette smoke.[SUP]104[/SUP] Aluminum and silicon were the major elemental components. Iron and sulfur were additional components. Brody and Craighead described lysosomal “smokers inclusions” in interstitial and alveolar macrophages and lymphocytes as predominantly aluminum silicate with plate-like structures, and suggested their involvement in pulmonary fibrosis.[SUP]105[/SUP] Heckman and Lehman described lung epithelial cells of rats that had received chronic tobacco smoke exposure as containing elongated cytoplasmic inclusions. They stated that macrophages had similar larger inclusions composed of silicon, aluminum, phosphorous, iron and sulfur.[SUP]106[/SUP] Thus silicate metal-bearing particulate is a major component of the particulate found in smokers' lung. As described above, presence of trace iron has been shown to augment formation of reactive oxygen species in pulmonary inflammatory response to silica exposure.[SUP]7477[/SUP] Nonsmokers may also acquire environmental silicate exposure to a much lower extent unless exposed occupationally.[SUP]107[/SUP] Data on silicon (silicates) in tobacco or tobacco smoke is sparse, likely because of analytical difficulties.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4542087/

Toxic Elements in Tobacco and in Cigarette Smoke: Inflammation and Sensitization

G

The same Dutch researchers also noted the challenges of adding Si to fertilizer concentrate solutions because a higher solution pH of >9 is required for the Si to be available to plants. If the solution pH is too low, then the solubility of the Si concentrate has the tendency to form precipitate and diminish plant availability. Most fertilizer solutions used in greenhouse production are acidic when mixed, with most typically around pH 4. Therefore, Si supplements require their own stock tank if mixed with other fertilizers or supplied independently. Also, the optimal substrate pH for cannabis is between 5.5 and 6.5. All these factors make balancing Si availability to plants a challenge.

What about monosilicic acid?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Of course though Weird you'd be missing the point that the cannabis trichomes are largely made up of silica. Are you telling people not to smoke cannabis because the good stuff is actually killing you?

What you are positing is not a quantified validation or refutation.

It simply posits and unreasonable assumption that does not address the potential consequences.

There was no historical record of traditional use and lung disfunction however approximately since legalization there has been emerging talk of emerging COPD correlations.

BongFu

What you are positing is not a quantified validation or refutation.

It simply posits and unreasonable assumption that does not address the potential consequences.

There was no historical record of traditional use and lung disfunction however approximately since legalization there has been emerging talk of emerging COPD correlations.

Yeah smoking is bad for you period. It's laughable when people call it medicinal and then inhale purported to be medicine. DAF with a huge chunk of cognitive dissonance.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Yeah smoking is bad for you period. It's laughable when people call it medicinal and then inhale purported to be medicine. DAF with a huge chunk of cognitive dissonance.

Let's see your qualifications for saying 'smoking is bad for you period.' Because I call bullshit. Where are all the sick people?

BongFu

Let's see your qualifications for saying 'smoking is bad for you period.' Because I call bullshit. Where are all the sick people?

Good call. I aren't a medical professional. Best to listen to medical professionals on this. What do they say? Yeah cognitive dissonance otherwise known as being full of shit. Sorry but I enjoy a smoke too I just don't bullshit myself that smoking anything is good for my lungs which is the point weird was making about tobacco and silica. Certainly. smoked cannabis is less harmful to the lungs than smoked tobacco but the fact is there is always potential for harming the lungs with smoking anything.

BongFu

Oh and rather than talking shit which is far too common on IC Mag, google TRICHOMES OF CANNABIS SATIVA L. (CANNABACEAE). It's a good read and tells you how cannabis trichomes are largely made up of silica. My point to Weird was in fact this fact. That if silica was harmful to the lungs then given that cannabis trichomes are largely silica then cannabis itself is harmful to the lungs given the proposition.

BongFu

Easy to see who here took HS chemistry and who aren't.

Haha yeah must have missed that one when I did Uni chemistry Mr Noob with 62 posts. Have you actually posted anything intelligent here since Feb 2021? Or have the monkeys completely overrun the circus now?

Sunshineinabag

I found this as I'm giving up on using it in coco. The coco became hydrophobic without wetting agents, when it should be hydrophillic or even hydroscopic. Showing me it was coated in something oil like. Which isn't helpful.

I note rice hulls can hold 10% silicone. I can't figure how much bud should really be taking on, but if 10% of that gain is from silicone weight, that's a lot of silicone. A 4.5oz plant wants to take on an ounce. The perlite seems no more than a carrier. A vessel to hold the potassium silicate. Perhaps we could mix it ourselves.

Early days, but this can't be far from our shelves. Years ago perlite was often coated with silicone when used as a building material. Makes you think..

Potassium silicate is sometimes preferred for applica­tions where heat insulation and fire resistance are the main objectives
Really need those quote tags back in the reply box...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/horsetail

Horsetail kicks ass. once dry and pulverized horsetail powder SHOILD NOT BE BREATHED IN

BongFu

Rice hull powder. Par Boiled Rice hull which is ground into powder. Generally about 20% Silica. Perhaps the richest source of biological silica there is. Cheap as chips. Apply to substrate at about 5 grams a kilogram. Rice hull Ash for peat which hasn't been pH corrected. Correct/buffer untreated peat yourself with rice hull ash. pH of Rice Hull Ash = approx. 8.4. About 80 - 90% silica. Also amendments like vermiculite which Bruce Bugbee uses with Peat for silica. Also Diatomaceous Earth is rich in silica... Studies show though particularly rice hulls are a fantastic source of silica in substrate amendments.

BongFu

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/horsetail

Horsetail kicks ass. once dry and pulverized horsetail powder SHOILD NOT BE BREATHED IN

TABLE 1Trace Elements in Rice Hull Ash Analysis Approximate percentages of oxides of various elements (by weight).

Silicon      92.0
Magnesium      2.0
Manganese      0.2
Barium      0.04
Potassium      0.02
Iron      0.1
Aluminum      0.01
Calcium      0.1
Copper      0.001
Nickel      0.007
Sodium      0.01
Carbon content (ave.)      2.5
Moisture (maximum)      3.0
Bulk Density      17 to 22 pounds/foot3

Rice Hulls approx and will vary with source

Major components are non-starch carbohydrates, and it contains about 20% of silica, 9–20% lignin as well as 2–6% cutin.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran

That is as intelligent as saying eating and breathing are potentially dangerous so don't consider what is your food or air.

Latest posts

Latest posts