What's new

Silicon: An Essential Plant Nutrient?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Think: Plant Available Silica...aka PAS and only in the forms of: amorphous silica and monosilicic acid.

It takes weeks for "potassium silicate" (Pro-tekt, Silica Blast, etc) to become "monosilicic acid".

There are some "potassium silicate" products that also include "monosilicic acid"...and several "amorphous silica" products to amend soil grow mediums.

Cheers!

can't agree with this, science based or whatever came to that conclusion. it's easily tested by adding some potassium silicate to any plant. It's the only additive that I've seen, actually make a difference overnight..

where does this info come from anyway? hell I'll ship you some to test yourself. it's as easy as in one day you'll know what I'm saying is truth.

I'm all for info, different products working better then another.. hell every year I think the knowledge grows of factual information, and an answer to why things happen... but this is just plain wrong. it might take weeks for it to turn, ok, that's fine, but it's sure as hell available instantly. I use to think the stuff was so strong I would dose 1/2 ml in flip, 1/2 ml middle it was so powerful. I use a little more now, maybe 5ml a whole set of plants.

that's the problem reading too much shit scientists have to say. it's easily solved this way. would you rather have someone grow for you who's been doing it for 11 years, or someone who's been in school for 11 years... ? steve irwin come to mind yet? hands on, actual experience, observation, kills any shit you'll find in a book, every single time

hydrodynamics just came out with a very strong 11% solution ( I remember the guy saying 13% but.. ) , called europonic silicate.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
can't agree with this, science based or whatever came to that conclusion. it's easily tested by adding some potassium silicate to any plant. It's the only additive that I've seen, actually make a difference overnight..

where does this info come from anyway? hell I'll ship you some to test yourself. it's as easy as in one day you'll know what I'm saying is truth.

I'm all for info, different products working better then another.. hell every year I think the knowledge grows of factual information, and an answer to why things happen... but this is just plain wrong. it might take weeks for it to turn, ok, that's fine, but it's sure as hell available instantly. I use to think the stuff was so strong I would dose 1/2 ml in flip, 1/2 ml middle it was so powerful. I use a little more now, maybe 5ml a whole set of plants.

that's the problem reading too much shit scientists have to say. it's easily solved this way. would you rather have someone grow for you who's been doing it for 11 years, or someone who's been in school for 11 years... ? steve irwin come to mind yet? hands on, actual experience, observation, kills any shit you'll find in a book, every single time

hydrodynamics just came out with a very strong 11% solution ( I remember the guy saying 13% but.. ) , called europonic silicate.

Sorry, but if you research "plant available silica" and you will see what I mean. Good tutor is at this link--http://www.ngia.com.au/Story?Action=View&Story_id=1782

I direct you to report page 7 for excellent "silica lesson" discussing monosilicic acid, polymerization, amorphous silica, polysilicic acid (the polymer of PAS), etc.

On report page 14 there is a brief hydro discussion where it states, "Potassium silicate is the most soluble silicate, but may provide slow release Si as polymerized form exist in liquid concentrates."

Another good silica pdf is located here...very informative! hortcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/agripower_silicon-review.pdf

Remember...sand is mostly silica and has zero PAS, so just because a bottle says "silicon"--it does not necessarily mean it is in a form which plant can readily uptake.

Cheers!

Coconutz

Veteran
I dont know what it means when they say it takes weeks for "potassium silicate" (Pro-tekt, Silica Blast, etc) to become "monosilicic acid".
What I do know is that Ive also noticed the difference in stem strength pretty much overnight when applying silica to plants for the first couple of times.
I use just base nutes for awhile and keep my ec low. As soon as I start adding silica my stems get rock hard.
It might actually take the plant a couple weeks to convert it to whatever, but it doesnt mean it works quicker than protek at strengthening the plant.
Ive actually used Fasilitor and prefer protek.
I actually only buy Grotek now because its cheaper than dynagro and works just as well with less crystal in the bottle.
I cant recommend any other supplements, but if you arent growing with silica you are doing it wrong.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Stumbled on another paper with a great Silica discussion--
www.avocadosource.com/papers/research_articles/bekkertf2007e.pdf

Sample:
Silicon is the most widely distributed element in the earth’s crust and constitutes 40-
70% in clay soils, and up to 90-98% in sandy soils as SiO2 (Matichenkov et al., 2000).
As a soil constituent in most of these soils, Si is second only to oxygen; the mean
values being O, 49% and Si, 31%. Two hundred to 800kg.ha-1 Si is removed annually
from soil either through leaching or plant uptake in the form of monosilicic acid.
Anderson and Snyder (1992) found the amount of silicon absorbed by plants to
constitute 70-700kg.ha-1. Most monomers taken up are transformed to amorphous
silica in the epidermal tissue (Lanning and Eleuterius, 1992).
Most monosilicic acid in the soil profile is weakly absorbed and it migrates slowly
through the soil profile (Matichenkov et al., 2000). These authors reported that
increased levels of monosilicic acid in the soil solution resulted in the transformation
of plant-unavailable phosphates into plant available phosphates.
Monosilicic acids may react with Fe, Al and Mn, forming slightly soluble silicate
substances (Lumsdon and Farmer, 1995). Monosilicic acid is also able to react with
heavy metals to form soluble complex compounds and slightly soluble metal silicates
(Matichenkov et al., 2000), but at the same time, high monosilicic acid concentrations
may lead to full precipitation of heavy metals resulting in formation of slightly soluble
silicates.
Polysilicic acids form an integral component of the soil solution and essentially affect
soil structure (Liang et al., 1994). The mechanism of polysilicic acid formation is not
clearly understood. Silicic acid polymerization is assigned to the type of condensable
polymerization (Matichenkov et al., 2000). Unlike monosilicic acid, polysilicic acid is
chemically inert and acts as an absorbent of colloidal particles. Highly soluble in
water, it affects the water holding capacity of soil, adding to its effect on soil
formation and structure (Matichenkov et al., 2000).

Enjoy....Cheers!

Gizmo

hello, very interesting thread with some good papers to read, im interested to find a product with silica for outdoor growing to make stem harder, i cant have american silica nutrients brands, anyone know an european canna brand who have silica nutrients ?

juzsumguy

since using silicate as an additive i have a harder time clipping of leaves. they seem "stuck" or more glued on and i always need to watch out not to rib to much skin of the stem cause he just doesn't wanna let go of the leaf.

also i like the ph stabilizing effects.

juzsumguy

yo gizmo, in europe you can order : Grotek, very cheap 4l 22€. or you can use powder silicate GH Mineral Magic. But im more of a liquid guy also dilution wise, so i rather use the Grotek Silicate.

there is a shop in spain, they ship europe wide. very cheap. nearly for everything they have the best prices in europe. i dont know if i can name it here, if you cant find it pm. Tip: their warehouse is in malaga, and you also find all of their inventory in ebay if you seach close enough.

price 4l with shipping anywhere in the EU but uk = 31€.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
since using silicate as an additive i have a harder time clipping of leaves. they seem "stuck" or more glued on and i always need to watch out not to rib to much skin of the stem cause he just doesn't wanna let go of the leaf.

also i like the ph stabilizing effects.

I've used Azomite the last few grows with a mycorrhizal agent....together, they've amped up root and plant growth, more fruit! ;o)

Buy the generic silica product. This product was on sale and free shipping.

juzsumguy

i still have 24,99 kg in my basement of azomite. After reading the TLO thing i was in an all organic mood (one big fail) and ordered a bulk sack of 25 kg from the importer in Germany. good thing it only sat me back 75€ incl shipping. bad thing is i doubt i use it again. even though i saw it listed as an ingredient lately also in some hydro additives.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hello, very interesting thread with some good papers to read, im interested to find a product with silica for outdoor growing to make stem harder, i cant have american silica nutrients brands, anyone know an european canna brand who have silica nutrients ?

Diatomaceous earth may be a simpler approach if you're growing away from home.

Gizmo

yo gizmo, in europe you can order : Grotek, very cheap 4l 22€. or you can use powder silicate GH Mineral Magic. But im more of a liquid guy also dilution wise, so i rather use the Grotek Silicate.

there is a shop in spain, they ship europe wide. very cheap. nearly for everything they have the best prices in europe. i dont know if i can name it here, if you cant find it pm. Tip: their warehouse is in malaga, and you also find all of their inventory in ebay if you seach close enough.

price 4l with shipping anywhere in the EU but uk = 31€.

Cool, thank you very much, i did not know Grotek and GHE had some silica product, i will check these. :)

Gizmo

I've used Azomite the last few grows with a mycorrhizal agent....together, they've amped up root and plant growth, more fruit! ;o)

Buy the generic silica product. This product was on sale and free shipping.

interesting i heard of azomite and mycorrhize, it was from a soil recipe from subcool an american breeder if im right, do you know if the two products are sold both in one or it must be purchased separatly ?

Gizmo

i don't know what it is but i will google it, thank you :) thats right i wish to try a product to put in soil as maybe i will try a guerilla grow next year and i feel silica could help to have stronger plants with a harder stem and branches, its depressing to see all these good unripe buds falling over when a branch broke because of a strong wind. :biggrin:
im just a little worried about this ph raising that silica can do but it must be a question of balanced soil recipe or good dosage.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
EclipseFour20 has written extensively on DE in soil mixes here on the forums, I believe he mixes up to 5% by volume. Might be worth searching if you're interested.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW

+1 on this. i actually just bought the 50lb bag of DE. Eclipse420 gave me some good info on this a couple months ago. not only does it give PAS silica it also helps hold water better in the soil which is great for a guerilla grower such as myself :tiphat: